Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2019, 07:01 PM   #1

12 V TV shutting off

Hello,

We are on a cross country trip and our 32” Jenson 12 V tv that is up front shut off for what I thought was no reason.

Turns out the power cord, with the cigarette plug type end, seems tight in the receptacle but if I move it just right the tv comes back on.

That’s concern 1, the other concern is it feels hot (I can easily grab it and pull it out and then push it back in until I find that position that turns the tv back on) but is it normal for it to be hot?

I’m thinking that if we come across a camping world I’d swing in and see if there was anyway they change out the receptacle and cord end real quick [emoji23]🤣

Thoughts?

Thanks!!!!!
Old 09-09-2019, 07:58 PM   #2

Can you just stop at a camp site on your path and order a new 12v plug from Amazon and change it it yourself? Do you have basic electrical items like a soldering iron, solder and shrink wrap?

Nilight 10028W 2 Pack Cigarette Lighter Male Plug with Leads 10Amp Fuse with LED Light Car Replacement Cigar Male Socket Plug Extension Cable,2 Year Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TFD89CS..._WuVDDb1C36QQZ

2019 Ram Bighorn, CC/SB 2500 4x4 6.4L/8 Speed, Max Tow 14,460 lb/2,940 lb payload.
2019 F-150 King Ranch 3.5 Eco, 12,800 lb/1,546 payload.
2020 Coachmen Apex UL 289TBSS
2019 Quality Trailers 16'x7' 7K GVWR Utility Trailer
2019 IronBull 22'x102" 14K GVWR Equipment Trailer
Larry0071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:28 PM   #3

I have enough tools probably... do you think it’s just the mail end of the power cord or just as good a chance it’s the receptacle?

I’m sort of a mechanical idiot so I’m a little nervous to make it worse since we can “mostly” use it now.

As
For ordering from amazon, we will have one stop where we’ll be for 4 days so that would probably work...

Thanks!
Old 09-09-2019, 09:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry0071 View Post
Can you just stop at a camp site on your path and order a new 12v plug from Amazon and change it it yourself? Do you have basic electrical items like a soldering iron, solder and shrink wrap?

Nilight 10028W 2 Pack Cigarette Lighter Male Plug with Leads 10Amp Fuse with LED Light Car Replacement Cigar Male Socket Plug Extension Cable,2 Year Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TFD89CS..._WuVDDb1C36QQZ
Walmart has those to, with a short pigtail. That and some orange wire nuts would be ugly, but would work.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:44 PM   #5
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBogey View Post
… Turns out the power cord, with the cigarette plug type end, seems tight in the receptacle but if I move it just right the tv comes back on.
That’s concern 1, the other concern is it feels hot (I can easily grab it and pull it out and then push it back in until I find that position that turns the tv back on) but is it normal for it to be hot?
So the springs on the side (which are the negative leads) are tight. How about the center pin in the plug? It is spring loaded and they sometimes stick so the pin doesn't make contact with the center of the receptacle. Work it in and out to be sure it's at full travel and not sticking half way out.
Grab a penlight and check the receptacle for corrosion. If you see any, pull the fuse for that circuit and wrap some sandpaper on a pencil eraser to polish up the contact points.
It is normal for these plugs to be very warm. This can be exacerbated by resistance from corrosion, but it will always feel warm to the touch.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:49 PM   #6

probably the plug end not the receptacle... the plug will get hot from a poor (just barely made) connection, plus you are probably pulling about 5 amps from that connection, which is quite a bit continuous from a cig plug

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:45 PM   #7

Howdy everyone- you know that saying “even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then”?

Well, we stopped at an autozone along the way today and I bought a fuse protected plug and a receptacle- told my wife if it shut off again and I wasn’t able to get it to work, I was going to cut cords and wire up new stuff.

Long story short, I found the center piece of the plug was bad (before reading above spot on response) so I cut wires and used crappy u-haul connections to wire the new plug on to the cord.

It didn’t work��. I messed with it quite a bit, then got to wondering if the fuse in the new plug could possibly be broke ......IT was!!!!!!! Uh oh, no extra fuse, then I realized I could probably take the fuse out of the old one = we’re watching TV as I type this!!!!

Thanks for all the help - love this forum!!
Old 09-11-2019, 06:19 AM   #8

I was able to fix one one time by prying the Negative connectors out just a little,
You may also turn the Plug back and forth several times to make sure you have good connection !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:22 AM   #9

Our 2015 Forester did the same thing. That plug will wiggle loose so now I remove it when we break camp and plug it back in when we get to our destination.That way the plug is always tight. And the power cord may be unplugged from the TV and replaced completely. Our's was on our TV.
FishRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:53 AM   #10

LOL, I tried both of those things with no luck but we’re goid now!��

Good idea on the unplug