Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2018, 08:53 AM   #1

12 Volt Fan Suggestions?

The Saintly Spouse and I will be travelling through the Southwest in early Summer and part of the trip includes boondocking in some areas that will likely be over 90 degrees. The idea of running the genset and A/C unit all the time is obnoxious and we'd like to avoid it where possible.

We're both pretty heat tolerant and we may be able to get along using fans to move the air around but I'd appreciate any advice you folks can offer on the best selections and any features that we may want to consider.

They'll need to be 12 VDC for power and our Class C Freelander has limited "cigarette lighter" outlets so I'm also wondering how to handle that problem. Do they make 12 volt extension cords?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

-Grouchy
Grouchyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:57 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

We don't boondock, but we use a couple of fans like these to help move air around:

https://www.amazon.ca/OPOLAR-F401-Pe...ywords=usb+fan

Should be able to easily use a Cig-plug to USB to power these. And with a dual USB one you can power 2 fans.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:02 AM   #3

They do make 12V Ex cords! Have you thought about "Upgrading" your Roof Fans/Vents? With high CFM Quiet EX Fans and window open you can create quite a "Wind Tunnel" inside a RV! Youroo!!
Old 03-16-2018, 08:56 AM   #4

12 Volt Fan Candidates

I spent a few hours (!) on Amazon looking at the range of RV-friendly 12 volt fans and here are the ones I think are worth considering:

Fan-Tastic 01100WH: This one is the winner for big breeze and big price. For reference it draws 1.2 - 2.6 amps @ 12VDC (two speeds). $75
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Quick Products QP-TE1-0126: The smaller brother of Fan-Tastic, 12 blades, reportedly high volume, less than one amp at low speed. $35

Anpress 12V: The Little Wheezer, tiny desk fan to put right in front of your face. One speed, .33 amps $15
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...PSW7SXFP&psc=1

Holmes Lil' Blizzard 8": The Sweet Spot(?), larger than the Anpress, oscillating so it sweeps a larger area, enough wind to cover the bedroom area, two speeds. Draws .7 amps, $20....sounds perfect right, sorry, bad news: 120Volts!

Opolar 8" USB: Intriguing option, runs off a usb cable that can be plugged into a cigarette lighter adaptor or a handy laptop computer. Loaded with features: seven blades, four speeds, shutoff timer, "natural wind" cycles between speeds. Reportedly 5 amps, but it unclear what voltage. $28. I'm going to try one of these just out of curiosity.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078JZLVBP...detail_0?psc=1

And finally, various cheap Chinese truckstop fans that all look about the same and have lousy Amazon reviews. Not apparently worth the small ducats you'll pay for them.

That's my report,

-Grouchy
Old 03-16-2018, 12:20 PM   #5

o2cool fans

We use O2 Cool fans which are powered by 2 D cells. We have three and have used them for years with no problems. They run many hours on batteries.
fander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:30 PM   #6

Wind Tunnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
They do make 12V Ex cords! Have you thought about "Upgrading" your Roof Fans/Vents? With high CFM Quiet EX Fans and window open you can create quite a "Wind Tunnel" inside a RV! Youroo!!
On the 22 foot Nash, I installed a second fan in the second roof vent. Now we have one at each end.

I put DPDT switches on both fans so each can be run in either direction. If the trailer has been closed, we turn both on exhaust and open the door or windows to exhaust all the hot air.

In the evening we put the one over the bed on intake and the one in the bath (at the other end) on exhaust to bring cool air over the bed and exhaust hot air at the other end.

Larry
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:37 PM   #7

Not sure what part of the south west and the elevation you are planing to be at? last time I was in phoenix Arizona in early June the high temp was 110 deg during the day and at 11:00 Pm it was still in the 90's. Higher elevations may make it cooler?

Hope This Helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:47 PM   #8
World Wide Wanderer

We use Fantastic Vent fans, one pulling one pushing or both pulling. Inside we have the Fantastic Vent Endless Breeze, added a couple of plug points to make moving it around easier. I tolerate heat just fine, but the Southwest in summer? Maybe it is a dry heat.

That Opolar is interesting...

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:10 PM   #9

I installed (2) of the following fans in my 2017 FR3-30DS. They're multi-speed, reversible and available on Amazon.com (about $60/ea). The original roof vents were not powered, but the wiring was in place for an easy install. Worked great !

NEW HENGS VORTEX II WHITE VARIABLE MULTI SPEED 12V 12 VOLT RV CAMPER MOTORHOME CEILING VENT FAN REPLACEMENT UPGRADE KIT MODEL 90046-CR
BILL49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:27 PM   #10

Fantastic Vent, Endless Breeze . We have used this type and its works very well. Moves a lot of air, Low amp usage. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 03-16-2018, 02:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchyoldman View Post
The Saintly Spouse and I will be travelling through the Southwest in early Summer and part of the trip includes boondocking in some areas that will likely be over 90 degrees. The idea of running the genset and A/C unit all the time is obnoxious and we'd like to avoid it where possible.

We're both pretty heat tolerant and we may be able to get along using fans to move the air around but I'd appreciate any advice you folks can offer on the best selections and any features that we may want to consider.

They'll need to be 12 VDC for power and our Class C Freelander has limited "cigarette lighter" outlets so I'm also wondering how to handle that problem. Do they make 12 volt extension cords?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

-Grouchy
We have 3 of the fantastic fans in our trailer and love them. If your RV has a water pump with enough pressure and you are prepared to carry some extra water I would consider carrying a portable misting system. Light enough and probably not to hard to set up. The quote below from amazon and cheap enough. The drier the air the better it will work, much like the swamp coolers.

“Orbit Mist System Extension Kit for 3/8" Basic Outdoor Misting Systems - 30068
by Orbit - Arizona Mist”
Old 03-16-2018, 03:48 PM   #12
D W

Don't know what part of the southwest you're headed to, but two years ago we were along the I-15 corridor around Vegas during the first week of June. Your fans may work during the morning, but as soon as that sun gets high the temps shoot up to 105F and higher real fast. One day the temp hit 112F by 11 am. A dry desert heat that will bake you. A fan will just blow hot air on you. Without A/C your RV will become a hot box. After two days, we pulled chocks and headed north to Reno.

"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:01 PM   #13

Be prepared for anything. These large open boxes we drive/pull around turn into easy bake ovens rather quickly. If possible drive during evening hours.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:44 PM   #14

an alternative to running genset to obtain 120 VAC is to purchase from Harbor Freight there 900 watt 2-cycle generator... weighs about 20 pounds and runs almost 8 hours on a gallon of gas... they are not loud and you can get them on sale or with a coupon for less than $100... I have owned 2 that I used to take camping to Canada and run them 16 hours a day for weeks on end. I still use them occasionally... they have a fuel shut off valve so carb fouling is kept to a minimum if you don't run it dry.

then use your 120 VAC fans
Attached Images

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:53 PM   #15

We have a couple Fan-Tastic Fan box fans and recommend them highly. They really move air unlike most other 12v fans. Easy on power too.
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:00 AM   #16

12 volt extension and 12 volt accessories outlets are available at just about any auto parts store or auto department of most larger department stores.
It is also easy to add 12 volt outlets. I installed two extra plugs with inline fuse blocks. I ran the wires under the motor home in wire flexible conduit directly to the battery compartment. You can also run from the converter if you have an open fuse. I used heavy duty outlets with 12 ga. wire and 15 amp fuses.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:32 AM   #17

You may want to check out Walmart,,, they have several 12v fans !!!
We carry a O2COOL rechargeable !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:51 AM   #18

Thanks for the ideas

Plenty of good suggestions in this thread. Thanks to all for taking the time to share your experience.

-Grouchy
Old 03-18-2018, 07:08 AM   #19

The Fantastic fans are great , they even have a D cell powered unit that works great and can be easily carried outside.

"Higher elevations may make it cooler?"

Yes , every 1000 ft up should be 3 deg cooler.

So 5000ft up should be 15 deg cooler than at sea level.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt, fan