Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2020, 09:57 PM   #1

12 volt Furrion dry camp forest river juice pack

Has anyone boondocked/dry camped this fridge with the juice pack? How did you make out battery etc?
GregBarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 01:54 PM   #2

Yes. Worked out good for the first few hours. Highly recommend a generator. From my EXP and what I’ve read lately about the fancy marketing term that even lured me to bite...It’s not what it’s cracked up to be. Far from it actually. Got a generator and will never look back to solar. Remember. If it sounds to good to be true...
HappyCamperInCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 02:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBarre View Post
Has anyone boondocked/dry camped this fridge with the juice pack? How did you make out battery etc?
I have. The fridge will consume more power on a daily basis than is generated by the included solar panel.

IF you start with a full battery, the fridge has been cooling on shore power for four hours prior to departure AND all the contents were pre-cooled, then you might get a day and a half of usage with the included setup. This is assuming no other electrical loads beyond basic lighting. If you run the battery below 50% charge you run the risk of ruining it.

I bought a Renogy 200W solar suitcase and can now boondock indefinitely provided there’s even moderate sunshine.

The fridge itself is wonderful though. It cools quickly and keeps everything cold no matter how often it’s opened. You’ll just need more power to boondock.
Mtndrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 02:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtndrew1 View Post
I have. The fridge will consume more power on a daily basis than is generated by the included solar panel.

IF you start with a full battery, the fridge has been cooling on shore power for four hours prior to departure AND all the contents were pre-cooled, then you might get a day and a half of usage with the included setup. This is assuming no other electrical loads beyond basic lighting. If you run the battery below 50% charge you run the risk of ruining it.

I bought a Renogy 200W solar suitcase and can now boondock indefinitely provided there’s even moderate sunshine.

The fridge itself is wonderful though. It cools quickly and keeps everything cold no matter how often it’s opened. You’ll just need more power to boondock.

That looks like a great kit. What battery did you use with it? How long does everything last when boondocking? Did you remove the stock juice pack setup or run them in unison? I’d like to move to solar option but I fear that my musical needs outweigh the solar power and may not ever work out the way I need them to hence the generator purchase, but maybe the factory juice pack is the real issue?

Thanks for your time.
HappyCamperInCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 02:50 PM   #5

For the first five trips I’ve used the standard lead acid battery included with the juice pack. I had to be mindful not to run that battery down too far overnight to prevent damage.

I recently ordered an SOK 100Ah lithium iron phosphate battery. Because the lithium battery can be drawn down to 0% without damage it will effectively double the power storage capacity.

What do you mean by music needs? If you mean the onboard stereo system it uses very little power.

With moderate to strong sunshine and the 200W Renogy suitcase I can use the fridge, furnace fan, lighting, water pump, and stereo system with no shortage of power and keep the standard battery over 50% overnight.

The 50W juice pack panel on the roof also simultaneously contributes so it’s not totally useless.

2021 Cherokee Wolf Pup 14CC
1994 Ford F-150
Mtndrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 07:01 PM   #6

Thanks. I bought a inverter Generator and an additional 40 w solar . I will add a second battery. I will see if tar works
Old 05-01-2021, 03:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks. I bought a inverter Generator and an additional 40 w solar . I will add a second battery. I will see if tar works
I sure hope you meant 400 watt solar and not 40 watt solar. 40 watt solar would be for recharging a cell phone.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:15 AM   #8

Juice Pack Upgrade Battery?

Does anyone know where I can find information on upgrading the current battery where it will work with the juice pack and get maximum battery without modifications?
Duner733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 10:15 PM   #9

Lol 40 watt is what I bought. Thought it might add to the trickle charge ITried connecting to the furrion plug with a coonector I bought on Amazon. on the side of the travel trailer.. It doesn't seem to do anything. Does anyone have experience with adding a solar panel this way?
Old 06-23-2021, 09:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Lol 40 watt is what I bought. Thought it might add to the trickle charge ITried connecting to the furrion plug with a coonector I bought on Amazon. on the side of the travel trailer.. It doesn't seem to do anything. Does anyone have experience with adding a solar panel this way?
Trace the wires from the plug back to the batteries to verify they are connected. I’m betting they may not be as I’ve seen many trailers with a solar prep plug on an outside wall doesn’t have the wires connected. If they are the. It could have a blown fuse.
Rolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:31 PM   #11

Thank you will do some checking

Tags
12 volt, forest river, furrion