Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2021, 11:03 AM   #1

120v/LP Dometic RM2551 on 19 geopro fbs

My fridge isn't working on 120v or LP gas. On gas, the pilot lights and the burner gets hot but the fridge doesn't get cold.
On 120v, the burner also gets hot but the fridge doesn't get cold either. I tested the AC outlet, works as it should and is reading 120v. I then unplugged the heating element and the control board prongs are also reading 120v. Heating element reads 82 ohms of resistance so I don't think it's that. What else do I check?
Sibetribe16702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 11:14 AM   #2

It takes mine about 24 hrs to get “fridge temp” cold. Maybe give it more time? It also has to be level.
Greywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 11:28 AM   #3

Thank you so much for your response. I tried with LP for 24hrs and Ac for 24hrs. Still doesn't get cold. Camper is level as well
Old 06-04-2021, 11:34 AM   #4

I had the same issue last year on my Geo pro. The dealer had it a week after performing several tests as requested by Dometic. A new fridge was authorized and installed. Waited 3 months for the fridge. Bought a lot of ice that summer.
Silverado1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 11:39 AM   #5

Ugh that sounds awful! I'm really hoping it's not that.
Old 06-04-2021, 11:42 AM   #6

Agreed.
Greywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 05:28 PM   #7

Dometic

Just a shot in the dark. Is the thermistor connected and properly adjusted?
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 05:42 PM   #8

Yeah I slid the slider as far up as it can go. Still nothing. Only thing left that I can think of is burping it but that's a lot of work! I wonder if there is a way to charge it? That way if there is air in there, it'll be pushed out. Idk
Old 06-04-2021, 07:09 PM   #9

There was another thread recently regarding absorption refrigerators that had set idle for an extended period. The problem was that the mix thickened or gelled. The solution was to vibrate the tank with an orbital sander. (The description of the problem and solution were much more elegant than mine.)
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 07:36 PM   #10
Trailer Park Supervisor

Did it ever work? I had a bad A/C unit on my GeoPro (blew air, never got cold, something was wrong with compressor or refrigerant) right from the get-go, Airxcel did a warranty replacement. Wouldn't be first time they put in a bad appliance.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 08:31 PM   #11

May have the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibetribe16702 View Post
My fridge isn't working on 120v or LP gas. On gas, the pilot lights and the burner gets hot but the fridge doesn't get cold.
On 120v, the burner also gets hot but the fridge doesn't get cold either. I tested the AC outlet, works as it should and is reading 120v. I then unplugged the heating element and the control board prongs are also reading 120v. Heating element reads 82 ohms of resistance so I don't think it's that. What else do I check?
Mine was doing the same thing about 2 weeks ago. Lots of ice at camp. Called in a mobile tech who came to the house. He said everything checked out OK except he did not have the ability to check the refrigerant gas. Took the trailer to an RV refrigeration guy. He stated the system was “over charged” so he emptied the gas and put in new at the specified pressure. As an aside, I tried the above mentioned method of using a sander on the coils to burp the refrigerator. Waste of time. Refrigerator is now working great on both electric and propane. My unit is also a 2551. Today I added the dinosaur thermistor to make the fridge colder. Results on this new add tomorrow.
Aspendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 03:52 AM   #12

Following
Old 06-05-2021, 09:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspendog View Post
Mine was doing the same thing about 2 weeks ago. Lots of ice at camp. Called in a mobile tech who came to the house. He said everything checked out OK except he did not have the ability to check the refrigerant gas. Took the trailer to an RV refrigeration guy. He stated the system was “over charged” so he emptied the gas and put in new at the specified pressure. As an aside, I tried the above mentioned method of using a sander on the coils to burp the refrigerator. Waste of time. Refrigerator is now working great on both electric and propane. My unit is also a 2551. Today I added the dinosaur thermistor to make the fridge colder. Results on this new add tomorrow.

Checked this morning. Freezer and main refrigerator are operating within temperature specs.

Project done.

Tags
255, dometic