Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2022, 01:21 PM   #1

Angry 2 New 2022 Norcold refrigerators do not work

The day we took delivery of our coach the refrigerator didn’t work. The dealership replaced original refrigerator with one out of another coach. That one didn’t work either. Both refrigerators were checked and they could find no problems with fridge but they would not get cold in either propane or electric. We took delivery on October 31st 2022 and are still trying to get this issue resolved. Currently all requested tests have been done and we are still waiting for Authorization from Forest River to approve a new refrigerator.
adventure couple is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 02:10 PM   #2

Did u actually take delivery?

If large ticket item not working
I would not sing off on the deal

Who has the money
It you still do
Tell them X days and deal is off
Old 11-30-2022, 02:54 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventure couple View Post
The day we took delivery of our coach the refrigerator didn’t work. The dealership replaced original refrigerator with one out of another coach. That one didn’t work either. Both refrigerators were checked and they could find no problems with fridge but they would not get cold in either propane or electric. We took delivery on October 31st 2022 and are still trying to get this issue resolved. Currently all requested tests have been done and we are still waiting for Authorization from Forest River to approve a new refrigerator.
Suggest that you contact FR warranty, to make sure the dealer actually submitted the second authorization request. Many dealers lie to the customer and blame the manufacturer, when they haven't even submitted the request. That deflects the customer anger at the manufacturer, instead of them.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 04:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieguy View Post
Did u actually take delivery?

If large ticket item not working
I would not sing off on the deal

Who has the money
It you still do
Tell them X days and deal is off
Yes we signed off because we stayed in their attached koa so we could iron out any issues.
The next day they ran all the tests and could not find any issues but fridge was not working.
They pulled another refrigerator out of another coach and it seemed to be getting cold so we headed towards home from Tucson and stayed at Sky Valley in Desert Hot springs ca.
Dealer said it’s a Norcold problem so contact them. I did and took coach to Banning RV to get warranty replacement. Nor Cold told us this was a Forest River issue since it has not worked at anytime since purchase. Now trying to get approval from Forest River to replace it.
Old 11-30-2022, 04:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Suggest that you contact FR warranty, to make sure the dealer actually submitted the second authorization request. Many dealers lie to the customer and blame the manufacturer, when they haven't even submitted the request. That deflects the customer anger at the manufacturer, instead of them.
We have done all of this already.
Old 11-30-2022, 04:09 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
This sentence makes no sense.
If neither refrigerator would get cold on electric or propane then obviously there is a problem!

How were they tested? Was power verified to the heating element on electric?
Was burner flame verified on LP operation?
How long in each mode was it left run to verify it getting cold?
Was installation and flu venting verified?

And I agree... contact FR and ask if the dealer has actually sent them the requested information or if the dealer is possibly giving you the run-around.
I hope not but you sure wouldn't be the first.

Did you pay for a R/V without a refrigerator?
If you did, do you have any leverage to get the dealer's attention?

We all wish you luck but somehow you need to find a way to make this happen because obviously the outcome you need hasn't happened up to this point.

Days Camped: '18=48 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=112 '23=32
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 04:13 PM   #7
Site Team

Check the warranty section of the manual. Norcold warrants the fridge not FR.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 04:29 PM   #8

You are aware that Norcold is pulling it's manufacturing facilities out of the USA. If I remember correctly it is to be completed by Jan. 1, 2023. This should explain a lot of your frustrations. I would expect that most of it's employees have already jumped ship, and the rest not giving a hoot.
Good Luck.

https://www.sidneydailynews.com/news...-plant-closing
2017 Laredo 325RL Sold
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
1970 Yellowstone Used as downpayment for first house
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 04:53 PM   #9

Umm...

Are you perhaps new to RVing?

Do you realize that these are absorption refrigerators, not compression refrigerators like you have in your kitchen. They have the advantage of being pretty miserly on propane so you can camp for an extended time without access to electricity, but their cooling characteristics are entirely different from compression refrigerators.
  • It takes a long time (~24 hours) for them to get cold from ambient temperature.
  • They cool better when completely full. If you just put just a few items inside, they won't appear to be cooling. Seasoned RVers put in a few gallon jugs of water to fill the space, taking them out when food is added, and putting them back when the food is used.
  • The temperature control is not a knob. It's a thermistor (temperature sensor) on a clip on the finned "coolness exchanger." You slide it up and down to control the temperature.
  • They are VERY sensitive to being level. It doesn't matter when the absorption refrigerator is Off, but when it is on, it must be within 2 degrees of level side-to-side and 4 degrees of level front-to-back. (The newest designs are good for 3 degrees side-to-side and 6 degrees front-to-back.) If these values are not maintained, permanent damage can occur.
If you already knew this stuff, sorry for the patronizing response. If not, try some of these hints to see if the unit really is working as designed.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 09:34 PM   #10
NXR

2 New 2022 Norcold refrigerators do not work

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventure couple
Currently all requested tests have been done and we are still waiting for Authorization from Forest River to approve a new refrigerator.

Your profile shows you have a Georgetown. The Georgetown division used to strive to approve or deny all warranty claims within two days so it's more likely your dealer is not telling the whole truth.

Send an email or call FR including your VIN and the pertinent details such as the dealer and see what happens.

Georgetown Owner Relations
(574) 206-7600
motorizedservice@forestriverinc.com

Ray
Old 12-01-2022, 03:11 PM   #11
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
The day we took delivery of our coach the refrigerator didn’t work. The dealership replaced original refrigerator with one out of another coach. That one didn’t work either. Both refrigerators were checked and they could find no problems with fridge....
By "checking" both fridges, I assume they were run and they got cold, right? If not, were they "checked" installed in your camper? If so, have the techs examined the flue and its baffling? The problem could be that the air isn't circulating over the evaporator coil. This would result in a functioning fridge that won't cool.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 03:32 PM   #12

Somebody who works at Norcold said they are piecing the last refrigerators together with what ever they have on hand. One thing they're doing now because they ran out of parts is gluing a playing card from a deck of cards on the back to cover up a hole that used to be covered with a cardboard cover. So I wonder if you get the Queen of spades you really get shafted on that one.

The only bad thing is the cardboard used on the back is usually fire retardant.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 12:53 AM   #13

UPDATE

There were several required tests done at original dealer location and these manufacturers tests were completed at current repair facility also.
Just talked with Forest River Warranty Dept. today and they are working with Norcold to approve complete replacement refrigerator.

In the mean time we put a dual zone 60 qt Freezer/Fridge in the rear passenger side lower storage bin. 12V/24V/110v.
Old 12-07-2022, 09:45 AM   #14

Thanks Larry

Thanks Larry this is not our first Motorhome and you are correct I am aware how these refrigerators operate.
All required factory tests of unit were done at original dealer and again at current repair facility. All tests show that refrigerator should be working. We’ve let it run on electric shore power and also several days on propane with same results of no cooling. I also found that there have been many issues with these residential refrigerator’s.
I believe for some reason the ammonia through coils is blocked by debris from inside of coils. When I was troubleshooting issue myself I found that if you reach up into the coil assembly there is a point where there is a distinct difference in temperature of coil.
Currently Forest River Warranty is working with Norcold to get a replacement unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Are you perhaps new to RVing?

Do you realize that these are absorption refrigerators, not compression refrigerators like you have in your kitchen. They have the advantage of being pretty miserly on propane so you can camp for an extended time without access to electricity, but their cooling characteristics are entirely different from compression refrigerators.
  • It takes a long time (~24 hours) for them to get cold from ambient temperature.
  • They cool better when completely full. If you just put just a few items inside, they won't appear to be cooling. Seasoned RVers put in a few gallon jugs of water to fill the space, taking them out when food is added, and putting them back when the food is used.
  • The temperature control is not a knob. It's a thermistor (temperature sensor) on a clip on the finned "coolness exchanger." You slide it up and down to control the temperature.
  • They are VERY sensitive to being level. It doesn't matter when the absorption refrigerator is Off, but when it is on, it must be within 2 degrees of level side-to-side and 4 degrees of level front-to-back. (The newest designs are good for 3 degrees side-to-side and 6 degrees front-to-back.) If these values are not maintained, permanent damage can occur.
If you already knew this stuff, sorry for the patronizing response. If not, try some of these hints to see if the unit really is working as designed.
Old 12-07-2022, 09:53 AM   #15

I have been communicating with Forest River and Norcold and current repair facility by email so I have written records of all progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Your profile shows you have a Georgetown. The Georgetown division used to strive to approve or deny all warranty claims within two days so it's more likely your dealer is not telling the whole truth.

Send an email or call FR including your VIN and the pertinent details such as the dealer and see what happens.

Georgetown Owner Relations
(574) 206-7600
motorizedservice@forestriverinc.com

Ray
Old 12-07-2022, 09:55 AM   #16

Yes we’ve done this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Old 12-07-2022, 10:45 AM   #17

Quote:
We’ve let it run on electric shore power and also several days on propane with same results of no cooling. I also found that there have been many issues with these residential refrigerator’s. .
Well, now I'm confused. 'Residential' refrigerators don't run on propane. They are like your refrigerator at home and run on electric only. There have been a lot of problems with some of those because they weren't designed to operate in a moving vehicle.

If both refrigerators won't work in your vehicle, I'm wondering if they can get them to work on electric in the shop. If they can operate it as a standalone in the shop, then it's not the refrigerator. Something else is wrong.

Sorry about the problems. It sounds like you've come up with a good temporary solution. Hope they figure it out soon.
Old 12-08-2022, 02:47 PM   #18

Update- Forest River and Norcold have agreed to replace the refrigerator after one more test. Took the coach into repair facility and they are pulling fridge out of coach and performing test out of vehicle.
When they say residential refrigerator they are not referring to how it operates but rather the size and the 4 doors this coach has.
Old 12-08-2022, 02:49 PM   #19

Forest River and Norcold have agreed to replacement refrigerator!
Old 12-08-2022, 04:18 PM   #20
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Well, now I'm confused. 'Residential' refrigerators don't run on propane. They are like your refrigerator at home and run on electric only. There have been a lot of problems with some of those because they weren't designed to operate in a moving vehicle.

If both refrigerators won't work in your vehicle, I'm wondering if they can get them to work on electric in the shop. If they can operate it as a standalone in the shop, then it's not the refrigerator. Something else is wrong.

Sorry about the problems. It sounds like you've come up with a good temporary solution. Hope they figure it out soon.
I went back to re-read this thread from the start, and I can’t find where it was stated by anyone that this refrigerator was a “Residential” refrigerator.

Can someone unequivocally guarantee what type of fridge we’re troubleshooting here? Do some Georgetown units have RV style fridge units? (Propane/electric)
Do some Georgetown units have Residential style fridge units? (Electric only)

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator