Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2021, 07:55 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 3
2015 Cherokee satellite usage

Hey folks. We got a Dish tailgater to use for our Cherokee. For some reason the coax connection on the outside doesn’t seem to work for our dish. That connect
Ion works perfect for cable at campgrounds but not our dish

Does anyone have have a similar experience? How do you correct it

Any help is appreciated

Thanks!!
Scott
Mhutch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 05:28 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
tonyz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 508
If you only have the one cable connection on the outside of your camper, it is going to feed into the switching plate inside where your antenna booster button is. The satellite antenna coax has to have a direct connection to its receiver, so it will not work going thru that switch plate. You can remove the plate from wall and unscrew the coax that is coming from the outside connector, and with a barrel connector, add short piece of coax to your receiver.
Or you will have to snake a direct coax into your camper by some other means to get a direct connection.
Can't find the diagram right at the moment, but if you do a quick search here or Google it up, you can see a pic of back side of your antenna booster switch to see which cable is coming in from connection outside. Hope this helps.
__________________
Tony & Brenda
2017 Ford F-250SD 6.7 Power Stroke
2018 Flagstaff 29KSWS
Happy Camping!
tonyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 05:56 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz1 View Post
If you only have the one cable connection on the outside of your camper, it is going to feed into the switching plate inside where your antenna booster button is. The satellite antenna coax has to have a direct connection to its receiver, so it will not work going thru that switch plate. You can remove the plate from wall and unscrew the coax that is coming from the outside connector, and with a barrel connector, add short piece of coax to your receiver.
Or you will have to snake a direct coax into your camper by some other means to get a direct connection.
Can't find the diagram right at the moment, but if you do a quick search here or Google it up, you can see a pic of back side of your antenna booster switch to see which cable is coming in from connection outside. Hope this helps.


This does help. Thanks!!
Mhutch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 06:11 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 6,563
This may help. Won't have the aux sat rec cable. Plus this is just a typical interconnect. A cheap simple way to have both capabilities (sat/park cable) is install a cheap/simple A/B switch.
Attached Images
 
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 12:07 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Palinduff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 313
I have just a cable connection on the outside of mine but it works with my satellite (Shaw Direct), but I don’t have a tv antenna, so that may be why it works. On my previous trailer I drilled a hole and installed a coax inlet for the satellite. It was quick and easy.
__________________
2017 F150 XLT 3.5l Eco Boost, SC, 8' Box, 4X4
Max Tow (10 speed, 3:73, 11,700lbs), HD Payload (2440lbs)
2015 Puma 253 FBS
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe
2000 Honda EX 400, Rad Rover 6 Plus
Palinduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 12:24 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: L\Anywhere and everywhere
Posts: 263
Dish and Winegard recommend no more than single cable from the receiver to the dish. Their receiver/dvr requires an additional external hard drive and will not allow recording one show while watching another. Directv does not have those limitations
__________________
Kayo
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3051 pulled by a 2013 Chevy Silverado 3500HP dually diesel. Full timers wince 2003 with DW of 53 year. NPS Park Ranger
kayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 10:45 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
tonyz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo View Post
Dish and Winegard recommend no more than single cable from the receiver to the dish. Their receiver/dvr requires an additional external hard drive and will not allow recording one show while watching another. Directv does not have those limitations
I have to ask-- huh?? Not my experience at all with Dish. Maybe I missed something in between the lines. Oh, are you talking about using it Winegard? Sorry, just couldn't figure out what you are saying there.
__________________
Tony & Brenda
2017 Ford F-250SD 6.7 Power Stroke
2018 Flagstaff 29KSWS
Happy Camping!
tonyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 02:18 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 3,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
This may help. Won't have the aux sat rec cable. Plus this is just a typical interconnect. A cheap simple way to have both capabilities (sat/park cable) is install a cheap/simple A/B switch.
Name:   Capture.JPG
Views: 97
Size:  37.6 KB
It should be noted that the coax labelled Auxiliary (Satellite Receiver) in that photo is not connected to the circuit board. It is a completely separate connection that simply feeds through the wall plate (barrel connector). It should be a single coax straight to a barrel connector on the outside wall of the trailer somewhere with no splitters or anything else attached to it.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 04:33 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 6,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
It should be noted that the coax labelled Auxiliary (Satellite Receiver) in that photo is not connected to the circuit board. It is a completely separate connection that simply feeds through the wall plate (barrel connector). It should be a single coax straight to a barrel connector on the outside wall of the trailer somewhere with no splitters or anything else attached to it.
Which is why I said "Won't have the aux sat rec cable." in my post.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 06:01 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 10,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhutch71 View Post
Hey folks. We got a Dish tailgater to use for our Cherokee. For some reason the coax connection on the outside doesn’t seem to work for our dish. That connect
Ion works perfect for cable at campgrounds but not our dish

Does anyone have have a similar experience? How do you correct it

Any help is appreciated

Thanks!!
Scott

I had to run a new coax just as people posted, or you could add the A or B switch, but you still need a coax to the wally reciver.
__________________
Coachmen M/H
Concord
2018 / 300 DSC

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 06:34 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
I had to run a new coax just as people posted, or you could add the A or B switch, but you still need a coax to the wally reciver.


Ok. Thanks a bunch for the message!!
Mhutch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 07:41 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 6,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhutch71 View Post
Ok. Thanks a bunch for the message!!
You haven't said what you are connecting the sat receiver (Wally etc.) input to in your RV.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 12:50 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 10,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
You haven't said what you are connecting the sat receiver (Wally etc.) input to in your RV.
it is going to have to go to hdmi connection on the TV , he probably has 3 inputs, but his reciver needs to be hooked up to the box and then from the box to the tv via HDMI , or he can get a invertor to go from HDMI from the wally to a video output to the TV. But Coachmen TVs have a HDMI connection 3 of them
__________________
Coachmen M/H
Concord
2018 / 300 DSC

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 01:03 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 6,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
it is going to have to go to hdmi connection on the TV , he probably has 3 inputs, but his reciver needs to be hooked up to the box and then from the box to the tv via HDMI , or he can get a invertor to go from HDMI from the wally to a video output to the TV. But Coachmen TVs have a HDMI connection 3 of them
I said Wally input (antenna coax) not outputs.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 05:16 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 10,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
I said Wally input (antenna coax) not outputs.
It would have to be a wally or a hopper, he said dish. Still needs to connected as stated by all. Most common is the Wally.
__________________
Coachmen M/H
Concord
2018 / 300 DSC

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 08:29 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 6,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
It would have to be a wally or a hopper, he said dish. Still needs to connected as stated by all. Most common is the Wally.
You are totally confused as to what my question was. I'm done. He'll figure something out.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 11:16 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 10,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
You are totally confused as to what my question was. I'm done. He'll figure something out.
I’m not the one confused, I have the same set up. The coax connects to the Sat dome then to the wally input the wally has a HDMI connector that you plug the TV into from the wally or you could use a convertor from HDMI to your audio jacks. That is how it works period. You can not use a single source cable connector. Either you need a direct coax or a AB switch. Did this and done that. I ran a separate coax , Coachmen doesn’t instill the cable duel cable input on the outside of the trailer. They only run a single coax for cable.
__________________
Coachmen M/H
Concord
2018 / 300 DSC

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cherokee, lite, satellite

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 PM.