Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2021, 07:55 PM   #1

2015 Cherokee satellite usage

Hey folks. We got a Dish tailgater to use for our Cherokee. For some reason the coax connection on the outside doesn’t seem to work for our dish. That connect
Ion works perfect for cable at campgrounds but not our dish

Does anyone have have a similar experience? How do you correct it

Any help is appreciated

Thanks!!
Scott
Mhutch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 05:28 AM   #2

If you only have the one cable connection on the outside of your camper, it is going to feed into the switching plate inside where your antenna booster button is. The satellite antenna coax has to have a direct connection to its receiver, so it will not work going thru that switch plate. You can remove the plate from wall and unscrew the coax that is coming from the outside connector, and with a barrel connector, add short piece of coax to your receiver.
Or you will have to snake a direct coax into your camper by some other means to get a direct connection.
Can't find the diagram right at the moment, but if you do a quick search here or Google it up, you can see a pic of back side of your antenna booster switch to see which cable is coming in from connection outside. Hope this helps.
Happy Camping!
tonyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 05:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz1 View Post
If you only have the one cable connection on the outside of your camper, it is going to feed into the switching plate inside where your antenna booster button is. The satellite antenna coax has to have a direct connection to its receiver, so it will not work going thru that switch plate. You can remove the plate from wall and unscrew the coax that is coming from the outside connector, and with a barrel connector, add short piece of coax to your receiver.
Or you will have to snake a direct coax into your camper by some other means to get a direct connection.
Can't find the diagram right at the moment, but if you do a quick search here or Google it up, you can see a pic of back side of your antenna booster switch to see which cable is coming in from connection outside. Hope this helps.

This does help. Thanks!!
Old 07-07-2021, 06:11 AM   #4

This may help. Won't have the aux sat rec cable. Plus this is just a typical interconnect. A cheap simple way to have both capabilities (sat/park cable) is install a cheap/simple A/B switch.
Attached Images

bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 12:07 PM   #5

I have just a cable connection on the outside of mine but it works with my satellite (Shaw Direct), but I don’t have a tv antenna, so that may be why it works. On my previous trailer I drilled a hole and installed a coax inlet for the satellite. It was quick and easy.
Max Tow (10 speed, 3:73, 11,700lbs), HD Payload (2440lbs)
2015 Puma 253 FBS
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe
2000 Honda EX 400, Rad Rover 6 Plus
Palinduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 12:24 PM   #6

Dish and Winegard recommend no more than single cable from the receiver to the dish. Their receiver/dvr requires an additional external hard drive and will not allow recording one show while watching another. Directv does not have those limitations
Old 07-07-2021, 10:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo View Post
Dish and Winegard recommend no more than single cable from the receiver to the dish. Their receiver/dvr requires an additional external hard drive and will not allow recording one show while watching another. Directv does not have those limitations
I have to ask-- huh?? Not my experience at all with Dish. Maybe I missed something in between the lines. Oh, are you talking about using it Winegard? Sorry, just couldn't figure out what you are saying there.
Happy Camping!
tonyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 02:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
This may help. Won't have the aux sat rec cable. Plus this is just a typical interconnect. A cheap simple way to have both capabilities (sat/park cable) is install a cheap/simple A/B switch.
Name:   Capture.JPG
Views: 142
Size:  37.6 KB
It should be noted that the coax labelled Auxiliary (Satellite Receiver) in that photo is not connected to the circuit board. It is a completely separate connection that simply feeds through the wall plate (barrel connector). It should be a single coax straight to a barrel connector on the outside wall of the trailer somewhere with no splitters or anything else attached to it.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 04:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
It should be noted that the coax labelled Auxiliary (Satellite Receiver) in that photo is not connected to the circuit board. It is a completely separate connection that simply feeds through the wall plate (barrel connector). It should be a single coax straight to a barrel connector on the outside wall of the trailer somewhere with no splitters or anything else attached to it.
Which is why I said "Won't have the aux sat rec cable." in my post.
Old 07-08-2021, 06:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhutch71 View Post
Hey folks. We got a Dish tailgater to use for our Cherokee. For some reason the coax connection on the outside doesn’t seem to work for our dish. That connect
Ion works perfect for cable at campgrounds but not our dish

Does anyone have have a similar experience? How do you correct it

Any help is appreciated

Thanks!!
Scott

I had to run a new coax just as people posted, or you could add the A or B switch, but you still need a coax to the wally reciver.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 06:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
I had to run a new coax just as people posted, or you could add the A or B switch, but you still need a coax to the wally reciver.

Ok. Thanks a bunch for the message!!
Old 07-08-2021, 07:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhutch71 View Post
Ok. Thanks a bunch for the message!!
You haven't said what you are connecting the sat receiver (Wally etc.) input to in your RV.
Old 07-08-2021, 12:50 PM   #13

Quote:
You haven't said what you are connecting the sat receiver (Wally etc.) input to in your RV.
it is going to have to go to hdmi connection on the TV , he probably has 3 inputs, but his reciver needs to be hooked up to the box and then from the box to the tv via HDMI , or he can get a invertor to go from HDMI from the wally to a video output to the TV. But Coachmen TVs have a HDMI connection 3 of them

Old 07-08-2021, 01:03 PM   #14

Quote:
it is going to have to go to hdmi connection on the TV , he probably has 3 inputs, but his reciver needs to be hooked up to the box and then from the box to the tv via HDMI , or he can get a invertor to go from HDMI from the wally to a video output to the TV. But Coachmen TVs have a HDMI connection 3 of them
I said Wally input (antenna coax) not outputs.
Old 07-08-2021, 05:16 PM   #15

Quote:
I said Wally input (antenna coax) not outputs.
It would have to be a wally or a hopper, he said dish. Still needs to connected as stated by all. Most common is the Wally.

Old 07-08-2021, 08:29 PM   #16

Quote:
It would have to be a wally or a hopper, he said dish. Still needs to connected as stated by all. Most common is the Wally.
You are totally confused as to what my question was. I'm done. He'll figure something out.
Old 07-09-2021, 11:16 AM   #17

Quote:
You are totally confused as to what my question was. I'm done. He'll figure something out.
I’m not the one confused, I have the same set up. The coax connects to the Sat dome then to the wally input the wally has a HDMI connector that you plug the TV into from the wally or you could use a convertor from HDMI to your audio jacks. That is how it works period. You can not use a single source cable connector. Either you need a direct coax or a AB switch. Did this and done that. I ran a separate coax , Coachmen doesn’t instill the cable duel cable input on the outside of the trailer. They only run a single coax for cable.

Tags
cherokee, lite, satellite