Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2020, 12:19 PM   #1

2021 Rockwood Roo 233s WifiRanger Sky4 upgrade to LTE

I was just able to successfully upgrade the OEM SKY4 to LTE using the addon cell modem/ATT Sim card module.
It wasn't easy, but thankfully I had 11 and 20 year-old sons to help with the configuration details (and I got some installation tech help from wifiranger).

The key was to perfectly align the modem card with the pins on the wifiranger. They can easily slip "behind" the channels into which they are supposed to fit and still allow the modem to "clip" onto the original board with the black plastic retaining clip. It's easier to align the first channel with the first pin laterally (relative to the camper) with the card totally behind the pins, and then slowly move the card forward until the channel slips down around the pins. Have your assitant turn on the WIFI and look for both the green LED on the wifiranger and then about 10 seconds later the red LED on the LTE modem light up. If it does - turn off the WIFI again and then lock it down with the retainining clip. Have them turn it on and confirm it's on (the SIM card number will appear in the setup screen if it's inserted correctly) one more time before you get off the roof.

Then you can come down and buy the data plan if you don't have one, giving the carrier your IMEI and SIM card numbers.

Remember to "reboot cellular modem" after you establish your data plan and you should be good to go.
2021 Roo 233s
2020 F-250 XLT 7.3L FX4
phragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 12:42 PM   #2

Great info, thanks for sharing,
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 02:06 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. We just got a Rockwood Mini-Lite 2509s and are considering the modem.

Do you mind sharing where you got your modem module and how much you paid? I have Googled around without luck and I cannot find them on the Wifi Ranger site. Looks like Winegard has changed their site since purchasing Wifi Ranger.

Also, did you add this to your existing plan with AT&T or a separate one?

We have unlimited and if we hotspot with our phone or tablet it counts as Tethering and we only get 30GB of Tethering. I wonder if it had its own SIM card would still be considered Tethering.

Thanks for the help.
TrailerUS3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:04 AM   #4

LTE Upgrade

My Nephew purchased a rockwood ultra lite TT last fall. He called me with dozens of questions before and after the purchase. He remembered that I purchased a wifi ranger for my 5th wheel and he called to ask me about his Sky4 ranger on his new camper. Got him setup before the first frost last year. Then 2020 and the virus arrives, messing up everyone's camping plans. His family was determined to use their new camper. Late summer they were able to get reservations. But with their youngest still in high school and doing 100% e-learning from home; he needed a backup Internet source while taking a much needed 2 week trip. His verizon phone can hotspot, but he wanted a internet source for the kiddo that didn't rely on his phone alone. We talked just after Labor Day and he purchased the AT&T LTE upgrade for his Sky4; said he ordered it from wifi ranger's website. He said the install was easy. Looked it up just now to help you TrailerUS3146 https://wifiranger.com/shop/upgrades/sky4-lte-upgrade/
They show it in stock for $200
Safe travels
Old 11-04-2020, 12:52 PM   #5

Thank you for sharing. Very much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderingbill View Post
My Nephew purchased a rockwood ultra lite TT last fall. He called me with dozens of questions before and after the purchase. He remembered that I purchased a wifi ranger for my 5th wheel and he called to ask me about his Sky4 ranger on his new camper. Got him setup before the first frost last year. Then 2020 and the virus arrives, messing up everyone's camping plans. His family was determined to use their new camper. Late summer they were able to get reservations. But with their youngest still in high school and doing 100% e-learning from home; he needed a backup Internet source while taking a much needed 2 week trip. His verizon phone can hotspot, but he wanted a internet source for the kiddo that didn't rely on his phone alone. We talked just after Labor Day and he purchased the AT&T LTE upgrade for his Sky4; said he ordered it from wifi ranger's website. He said the install was easy. Looked it up just now to help you TrailerUS3146 https://wifiranger.com/shop/upgrades/sky4-lte-upgrade/
They show it in stock for $200
Safe travels
Old 05-02-2021, 02:41 PM   #6

I know this is a few months old, but what data plan are you on OP? I see t-mobile has prepaid data only plans for fairly cheap these days

Renogy bits: 3000W Inverter/Charger, 400Ah LiFePo4, 40A DC-to-DC
Rich Solar bits: 400W of panels, 40A MPPT
Misc bits: LevelMatePro+, SolidRemote based wireless controlled LED storage lighting
jbflag21ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbflag21ds View Post
I know this is a few months old, but what data plan are you on OP? I see t-mobile has prepaid data only plans for fairly cheap these days
I had an Unlimited plan with my AT&T subscription for my iPad. I was able to take out my SIM card from that and insert it into the WiFi Ranger modem. I should also mention that the Modem I bought said it was for AT&T. I do not know if T-Mobile will work. Only downfall is the entire unit failed shortly after and I am working with my dealer to get a replacement. Has not been fun.

I should also note. The Wifi Ranger takes a Regular SIM card. My iPad takes a Nano sim card. I had to buy an adapter on amazon to get the card to fit.

Tags
233, 233s, rockwood, rockwood roo, roo, upgrade, wifi