Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2014, 10:43 PM   #1

3 GT-3.0 Speakers not working

Rockwood Signature Ultra-Lite purchased new in August 2012 with GT-3.0 sound.

1 of 2 bedroom speakers has no sound, 1 of 3 speakers above TV has no sound and 1 of 2 speakers at back of unit has no sound. This is first time we have noticed this situation and not having used the system very often, not sure if this existed when new. Obviously out of warranty. Would appreciate any thoughts/comments/suggestions.

Thanks
herky72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:50 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Hello,

There are 3 speaker plugs on the back of the unit, My unit the one plug just came out. I reinserted the plug and ty-wraped the cable harness to a tie mount so the wires have a strain relief.

Brian

http://manuals.heartlandowners.org/E...11.26.2011.pdf
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:40 PM   #3
Always Learning

Our one speaker didn't work for us- when we pulled the unit, we found that one cable had come out of one of the wiring harnesses; we reinserted it and we were back in business.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Hello,

There are 3 speaker plugs on the back of the unit, My unit the one plug just came out. I reinserted the plug and ty-wraped the cable harness to a tie mount so the wires have a strain relief.

Brian

http://manuals.heartlandowners.org/E...11.26.2011.pdf
Thanks, will check out today and will let you know what we find.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:13 PM   #5

I'm thinking that the speakers that are not playing are all on one side of the "stereo" signal...left or right...whether or not they are wired in the coach that way. If it is not the plug as noted above...then perhaps someone hit the balance control.
Otherwise...you might have one channel of the reciever dead.
One way to check is to swap plugs in the back of the receiver and see if the problem moves to other speakes OR if it stays the same. If it moves...you have a dead channel...if it stays the same...you have a wiring issue between the receiver and the speakes and you will need to do continuity testing to find it.

This is ONLY meant as a backup plan to the suggestion to check the plugs!
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:14 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I would agree and thought this today as well. The source toy are checking? Is it the FM radio or a external IPhone or some thing plugged in the 1/8 jack. I had a bad jack in the front panel.

Brian

Sent from my Z30 using Forest River Forums mobile app
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:27 PM   #7

Here is how to check

When I picked up my 32RCTS-6 the radio was completely cross wired. Inside speakers wired to outside speakers. One night a neighbor knocked on the door and told me the outside speakers were on when I know I had them off. So I had to rewire the entire unit. As stated there are connectors in the back that ship from the factory with color coded pigtails (just as the manual states) I took a 9V battery and a 9V battery cap (you know the kind that snap on the battery and have two wires coming from the cap) I cut this off from an old garage door opener. When you apply the wires to the plus and negative terminals on the back of the unit for each speaker you should hear the speaker crackle. In this manner you can tel 1-if the speaker is indeed even wired up and 2- if it is wired to the correct speaker. I had to rewire 6 of my nine speakers. I also did not get a crackle from the sub woofer so I investigated and discovered they never installed it. Dealer got me a sub and all is well. The battery trick really saves time. Good luck. By the way I also downloaded a 5.1 channel dolby test from the internet when I was done to ensure it was all set up correctly. It puts a tone to each speaker. I just wires it from my computer into the radio. This also helped me find out I did not have a sub woofer installed. Forest River does not follow the color code from the pig tail. They use whatever wire they have. Sort of a mess, but very fixable. As I stated "good luck"

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:19 AM   #8

I have spent the last half-3/4 hour describing what I have done and additional questions and when I posted I receive the message that I was not logged in and lost everything that I had typed. I will try again latter. Technology!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-08-2014, 12:02 PM   #9

Bummer

Herky;

When I plan on posting a large post I do it in a word processor first and than copy & paste. Helps big time when this sort of stuff disappears. Spell checker is nice to have as well. Makes me look brighter than I already am.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:52 AM   #10

Thanks Davidcedar I do what you suggest on my computer at home so guess I’ll have to try it on this laptop.
Have been on the move and now getting back to my speaker problem(s).

Physical layout of speakers: Area A – Living Room, Area B – Bedroom & Area C – Outside
Left Ctr Right
A1L AC A2R
A3L A4R C (outside)
B1L B2R

Original condition & from page 35 of manual

Area A – Living Area plug has 5 sets of wires for 5 speakers: Left Front – A1L, Center – AC, Right Front – A2R, Left Rear – A3L & Right Rear – A4R

Right Front Speaker A2R (wires 3 & 4) no sound Right Rear Speaker A4R (wires 7 & 8) no sound

Area B – Bedroom Area plug has 4 sets of wires for 2 speakers:
Left – B1L & Right – B2R. I assume extra speakers for a larger unit that has additional speakers.

Left Speaker B1L (wires 1 & 2) no sound

Area C – Outside plug has 2 sets of wires for 1 speaker and has sound.
Originally the GT-3.0 produced sound for TV and movies/discs, and had to be set on AV2 for TV sound thru player. Quick Start Guide instructions indicate the setting should be AU2 so maybe wired wrong originally.

At this point all plugs removed and re-inserted properly, with 11 sets of wires (16 gage?) hardwired and crimped to 11 sets of heavier colored speaker wires. Did not reverse plugs, will discuss later

The result, there was no sound in any A or B speakers. Did not / neglected to check speaker C.

The preceding is what I was going to post before I lost it.

Before doing anything else we rented a movie and when inserted sound came thru A1L, AC, B1L & B2R. There is no sound in A2R, A3L & A4R.

Radio has sound in AC.

Manual:
Pg 7 #3, Note: has anyone pressed MODE button for 10 sec? I did and nothing seemed to change. Ditto for PG 22 #16, MUTE/BC for 5 sec?

Pg 22 #13, Pressing SETUP does nothing / does not access SYSTEM SETUP screen as shown on Pg 25.

Unrelated to speakers; inserted SD card with pictures from digital camera and pressing USB/SD on remote produced no results. Checked remote batteries and are good. Any possibility that the remote has gone bad as other functions seem in-operable?

TROUBLE SHOOTING Pg 31 does address above other than FACTORY DEFAULT RESTART. Possibly system not originally setup properly? Or is it because two senior citizens are technologically challenged?

Manual has phone number to contact and find service center.

In any event, THANKS TO ALL.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:19 AM   #11

Whoa

That's a lot of data, good job.

Not sure how you figured out no sound from what speakers, (did you just listen?). I really suggest you start by testing each speaker at the plug in the back of the radio to make sure 1) each speaker is wired and 2) and they are wired correctly. That has to be the start, than take it from there. Otherwise you are trying to hit a moving target. it is time consuming to do but worth it. Use the method I suggested in an earlier post on this thread. If you don't understand how to set up the 9V battery let me know and I will figure something out maybe a drawing.

Good luck.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by herky72 View Post

Physical layout of speakers: Area A – Living Room, Area B – Bedroom & Area C – Outside
Left Ctr Right
A1L AC A2R
A3L A4R C (outside)
B1L B2R

Original condition & from page 35 of manual

Area A – Living Area plug has 5 sets of wires for 5 speakers: Left Front – A1L, Center – AC, Right Front – A2R, Left Rear – A3L & Right Rear – A4R

This is the standard Dolby Digital or ProLogic surround sound set up for movie watching primarily. You have a front right and left as is regualr stereo, a front center to anchor dialog at the screen, and two MONaurAL rear speakers getting LIMITED power AND frequencies but of course your manual spec sheet should indicate the power to each channel as a double check on my thought.

Right Front Speaker A2R (wires 3 & 4) no sound Right Rear Speaker A4R (wires 7 & 8) no sound
So RIGHT front and RIGHT rear have no sound. This could mean your right channel in the radio is OUT. Check by SWAPPING the wires for left front and left rear into the right front and right rear slots. If there is still no sound in your physical left side speakers...then the right channel in the radio is dead. If there is now sound on the physical left side speakers still...then the problem is the wiring connections to the physical right side speakers or the speakers themselves. Check that with a continuity test between the ends of EACH of the 4 speaker wires. Do the 9V test on the speakers if continuity tests good or swap them for the existing left side speakers and see if they work in a circuit you know is good.
Note that you should always have speakers connected to ALL radio terminals when testing or you risk blowing an output transistor on the radio which may be prohibitive to fix.

That's as far as I can get on your post tonight. Will try to find the manual online and compare it against the rest of the post you made since that isn't making a whole lot of sense to me right now ...long day!
Will post again in the next day or two unless you beat me to it!
Old 03-17-2014, 08:42 PM   #13

Back again after looking at the manual....Just to be sure...your 5 main room speakers should be wired into your back of the radio terminals labled A 1 through 10 with the + sides going to even numbers and the - side going to odd numbers. Per manual page 35.
The bedroom B pair of speakers (4 wires) should go to B 1through 4 on the back.
The C set of speakers (4 wires to one or 2 speakers) should ALSO be wired into the B slots 5,6,7 and 8.
There should be NOTHING wired into any of the C terminals 1 through 4...and your red power wire (fused) goes to C6 with black negative to C5.

It is misleading to lable the third section C when it has nothing to do with your C outside speaker(s)...hope that didn't screw you up.

If you are wired that way and you're not getting ANY sound now and have done the 10 second reset and KNOW you're not on mute and that there is power to the radio... then I think the problem is in the radio and it will need to be pulled and serviced. Could you have blown outputs while testing with some terminals not connected? Strange that the problem changed entirely when you rewired. Check the blue fuse by the speaker connections too!
Old 03-17-2014, 08:49 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidceder View Post
When I picked up my 32RCTS-6 the radio was completely cross wired. Inside speakers wired to outside speakers. One night a neighbor knocked on the door and told me the outside speakers were on when I know I had them off. So I had to rewire the entire unit. As stated there are connectors in the back that ship from the factory with color coded pigtails (just as the manual states) I took a 9V battery and a 9V battery cap (you know the kind that snap on the battery and have two wires coming from the cap) I cut this off from an old garage door opener. When you apply the wires to the plus and negative terminals on the back of the unit for each speaker you should hear the speaker crackle. In this manner you can tel 1-if the speaker is indeed even wired up and 2- if it is wired to the correct speaker. I had to rewire 6 of my nine speakers. I also did not get a crackle from the sub woofer so I investigated and discovered they never installed it. Dealer got me a sub and all is well. The battery trick really saves time. Good luck. By the way I also downloaded a 5.1 channel dolby test from the internet when I was done to ensure it was all set up correctly. It puts a tone to each speaker. I just wires it from my computer into the radio. This also helped me find out I did not have a sub woofer installed. Forest River does not follow the color code from the pig tail. They use whatever wire they have. Sort of a mess, but very fixable. As I stated "good luck"
Hey, you coming to Goshen? I'll bring the 9V battery...
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:13 PM   #15

Be careful

Do not take it for granted that all the wires are actually attached to speakers. In my rig they never installed the sub woofer, just plain didn't do it. The wire was laying loose in the basement. At a minimum make sure each speaker is hooked up to some wires and each speaker is wired to the correct output.