Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2024, 06:28 AM   #1

30amp, 2 ACs, and energy shedding

Looking at a 2024 Solera 32DSk. It has 30amp service with dual ACs with energy shedding? Can't imagine running 2 ACs with a 30amp service. Can anyone shed light on this?
BKelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 10:02 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKelley View Post
Looking at a 2024 Solera 32DSk. It has 30amp service with dual ACs with energy shedding? Can't imagine running 2 ACs with a 30amp service. Can anyone shed light on this?
My experience is that one 13,500 BTU a/c will peak about 20 amps on start-up and about 12 to 14 amps running. That seems to indicate 2 a/c units running would demand about 24 to 28 amps. Don't forget that other items may be consuming power. i.e. converter, refrigerator, static items that are off such as TV, radio, and various detectors.

With a 30 amp service, there is not much left of 30 amps to shed.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 10:23 AM   #3

First, we need to know how the manufacturer defines energy shedding. Did the brochure actually say energy shedding would allow running 2 a/cs at once on 30amps?
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 10:27 AM   #4
Trailer Park Supervisor

What the heck is energy shedding? Either the 2 A/Cs are less than the standard 13.5k btu, or it alternates between the two units.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 10:48 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
What the heck is energy shedding? Either the 2 A/Cs are less than the standard 13.5k btu, or it alternates between the two units.
My knowledge of true Energy Shedding is there is a "control device" that monitors the load(s) on the 30a service and if it sees loads greater than 30a it cuts (sheds) a circuit(s) to keep the total load at/below 30 amps to keep from kicking the main breaker.

As Scott eluded to... we need to know what definition of Energy Shedding they are referring to. There's lots of terminology out there that manufacturers use that makes a lot of this confusing. A reference, many manufacturers of inline Surge Suppressors call them EMS (Electrical Management Systems) when they don't really "manage" anything. I know we are not discussing this type device but the terminology muddies up the water.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 11:43 AM   #6

An example

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
My knowledge of true Energy Shedding is there is a "control device" that monitors the load(s) on the 30a service and if it sees loads greater than 30a it cuts (sheds) a circuit(s) to keep the total load at/below 30 amps to keep from kicking the main breaker.
One example, frequently referenced, is the electric fireplace in some units that is automatically turned off whenever the microwave is running.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 06:34 AM   #7

Here is what the specs say about the AC and shedding

15,000 BTU ceiling ducted, ultra quiet roof air with heat pump (N/A with dual A/C option)
Optional Dual A/C with heat pump and power shedding system (32DSB, 32DSK)

I am looking at the 32dsk with the Dual A/C with power shedding system. Am concerned that 2 15k AC units could over power the 30 amp. I know very little about power shedding myself but it sounds like I will need to learn about it if I do buy this RV.

Also, Thanks all for your replies.
BKelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 06:58 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKelley View Post
15,000 BTU ceiling ducted, ultra quiet roof air with heat pump (N/A with dual A/C option)
Optional Dual A/C with heat pump and power shedding system (32DSB, 32DSK)

I am looking at the 32dsk with the Dual A/C with power shedding system. Am concerned that 2 15k AC units could over power the 30 amp. I know very little about power shedding myself but it sounds like I will need to learn about it if I do buy this RV.

Also, Thanks all for your replies.
You won't get TWO 15,000 btu units with the dual A/C option as it's not available/applicable. The dual system has smaller units.

Here is a previous thread on the 30 amp dual A/C option for Sunseekers that explains this a lot better. Forest River rep ,KaryKatz, even provides a link there.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...em-253776.html

EDIT. Here is a link to a thread where the actual FR Class C design engineer of this system, DCfuture82, explains it. If you read all of his posts there, it will go into more detail how it works, what is shed, etc.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2147262

EDIT2 Here is a link to the Precision Circuits owners manual that also goes into more detail how load shedding works on their system

https://www.precisioncircuitsinc.com...nersManual.pdf

Hope this helps

I want to go to Bora-Bora, but I’m too Pora-Pora.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 07:25 AM   #9

If you own a larger rv with dual ac units you need a DW like mine.

We have two soft starts. The DW can carefully run the two units on 30 amp service. Ac units set two different temps. And the microwave.

Gas on the water heater plus a gas fridge.

But, she is good at it! She is the load shedder.

We rented a houseboat in the 80’s. It had load shedding. The second ac unit would not come on running on the generator! Not a fan.

For those who get around a lot, There are a lot of 30 amp only situations.

Moochdocking we get by on 20 amps. One ac only!

Ask questions.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 07:54 AM   #10

If both a/c had a softstart cabability 30amps would run them
power shedding hopefully would be smart enough not to try and start both at the same time...

Or... the thermostat is smart enough to not start them together

30 amp should be capable of keeping the 2 a/c s running once they have been started
you might even have a couple of spare amps for other things.

The fridge is 12v so battery will handle that... converter (battery charger) only uses around 5 amps (120v) if it is producing 55amps, most times it would be much less.

Generator 4500w would be running close to maximum power... expect the gas/propane to be used at a good rate.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

wonder why they don't use Inverter Controlled air conditioners
such as the Furrion Chill... CUBE.

supposedly uses a lot less power?
and has No startup surge.
Old 06-21-2024, 11:01 AM   #11
D W

Sounds like an expensive stop-gap work-a-round. With 2 A/C's why not just equip it with 50A service?
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 11:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Sounds like an expensive stop-gap work-a-round. With 2 A/C's why not just equip it with 50A service?
that would require too much brain power
seeing that a good percentage of campgrounds do have 50amp
and if not.... go back to using a adapter and only have 30amp available for BOTH

pretty sure people will learn fast enough you can't run everything on 30a
especially at 2 am on a rainy night!
Old 06-21-2024, 11:25 AM   #13

I have a 2023 Solera 32dsk with dual 13.5k A/Cs with energy managent system. We un Flirida and use EV at track with limited shade. System works great and RV cools down nice.

The EMS has never been activated but what I do know is that should wife hit microwave or hot pot, A/C will be interupted until done to manage amp draw.

Gone are the days of go reset breaker because too much came online.

PM me if got questions.
Muggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 11:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Actually not expensive. System works great and in my application both A/Cs start and run without issue on internal or trailer 4000w generator. It has run days on ext generator with only interuption to refuel and check oil. System is pretty slick in operation.
Old 06-21-2024, 11:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieguy View Post
pretty sure people will learn fast enough you can't run everything on 30a
especially at 2 am on a rainy night!
Reminds me of when I started w my 1st RV: I have all these convenient appliances , I can't run EVERYTHING at once?

Even my my current rig, I found out even plugged into 50A, my inverter on has 30A pass thru, so pay attention to what's plugged into which outlets.

We all have to learn power management @some point, it not a like your house.
Tony Ramirez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 11:47 AM   #16

Also no soft starts, running amps go 20 to 22 on hottest days. My wife was programed to start/stop stuff as many are. No longer needed. A/C fans come inline prior to compressors. If you were to start microwave, one A/C will drop till you are done or 5 minutes.

Unit also has 12v fridge and TV and dual batts. In heat mode furnace uses from A/C fan to help distribute warm air from floor vents. Reduces temp stratification we had in old RV.

Lots of great features I did not know about till we looked when baby pup turned into horse.
Old 06-21-2024, 02:10 PM   #17
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
Actually not expensive. System works great and in my application both A/Cs start and run without issue on internal or trailer 4000w generator. It has run days on ext generator with only interuption to refuel and check oil. System is pretty slick in operation.
I'd still rather have 50A service with 2 A/C's. Face it, 30A will always be 30A, and not an amp more. At one time or another, "something" has to be given up.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 07:25 AM   #18

As stated previously, in our application the 30 amp setup meets needs fine. If were 50 amp, would need to upgrade trailer/house generators. At 30 amp the Solera makes a great mobile hotel room. By the time, wife need to use anything other than a/c we are usually only have single a/c cycling.

Going from a Vegas 24.1 to Solera 32dsk we saw many differences that we never thought of. With advent of Solera, dash a/c keeps rv cool on road. In 90+ weather, had to run gen for house a/c. Have never needed to run house a/c on road yet likely less air leaking through cab. Wife loves extra storage space. I like not needing to avoid sitting on dogs.

The EMS system seems to be an added plus. Should I be going rounds and need coffee, wife still out of habit kills back a/c. I tried it yesterday during regular 3 week cycling of gen. Turned water heater on elect and rear a/c dropped. After 5 mins, turned off and a/c restarted.

We do not full time so doubtful ever need to run all appliances at once. We never stayed in either RV more than 3 weeks at a time.
Old 06-22-2024, 08:15 AM   #19

Interesting device. All power circuits run thru the device which manages where the power goes based on priority. When the draw approaches 30a (in this application) it starts disconnecting circuits to keep power flowing to others with higher priority. In no case can more than 30a be used.

My initial impression was "stupid and unnecessary" but it now seems like a solution to running a camper on a lower capacity power system. And if universally adopted would be beneficial in a macro way.

A few summers ago at a gigantic Indiana State Park (100°F/100%) the electrical system shutdown from the overload of all the dual ACs, water heaters, and everything else running sucking 50a each. The ubiquitous aural drone suddenly went dead quiet for several hours and we could hear the birds.

-- Chuck
Old 06-22-2024, 10:04 AM   #20

Is an alternative to 50 amp/larger generator style. Just fits us great.

One of the advantages for us is ability to use 4000w open frame generators which serve 3 purposes: run RV, supply power for charger/compressor for drag car and back up refridges/well pump at rural house.

Another plus is fuel consumption. The open frame generators have big enough tanks can run through night without issue. It seems they handle overnight minimum loads better than onboard Onan in terms of fuel use.

When weather cool enough I will kill gen and open windows. 12v fridge and fans do not seem hard on batts when it is cool out.