Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2011, 12:09 PM   #1

$36.000.00 buzzzzzz

this is my first post and im hoping i can get something resolved,last year i purchaced a salem villa estate that is currently on a permanent site up north,so bringing it in isnt an option.my concertone stereo,when you are listening to the surround from the tv or vcr,buzzes loudly when you use the dimmer lights in the camper,the brighter you turn up the lights ,the higher pitch of humm.i used my one free service call for this ,they replaced the unit model(400) ? and i installed a noise filter,and still does this.quiewoods rv in sturgion bay,wi,where i puchased the unit hasnt been any help in resolving this issue.i do know that a newer unit i saw does not have dimmer lights in it.any help would be greatly appreciated,$36000.00 is a big ticket item to not work out of the box.
cman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:24 PM   #2

Could it possibly be that the problem is with a faulty dimmer switch and not the Concertone?
Old 10-06-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Im thinking the dimmer switch as well ! we had a bad one in our house once that messed with the tv speakers and computer speakers but not the surround speakers ?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd View Post
Could it possibly be that the problem is with a faulty dimmer switch and not the Concertone?
Anytime Concertone is mentioned you can be sure that is the issue! Concertones are touchy with electronics. and while the noise only happens with the dimmer, the unit jut doesn`t like the feedback from the electrical system.

I would call Forest River and see if they will send you a new unit. they sent me a new one in the mail and I swapped it out. worked great for 2 days on a trip, then it started to "Pop" through th speakers. the original would only work on 2 of the 4 speakers. I left the replacement untill the next spring. I took it in for the radio and it worked OK for a couple of trips then it started Popping out of all the speakers. I finally just replaced it with a JVC Car unit. has worked flawlessly for the last 3 years!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:48 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I like my concertone ! of the thousand and thousands of concertones installed in campers the only ones talked about are the bad ones . I bet if someone did a poll there would be less that had problems thenthat did .
and ones that did wouldnt fess up that they had one replaced and found it wasnt the unit itself but something else .
I could be wrong and I am sure somone will tell me so.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I like my concertone ! of the thousand and thousands of concertones installed in campers the only ones talked about are the bad ones . I bet if someone did a poll there would be less that had problems thenthat did .
and ones that did wouldnt fess up that they had one replaced and found it wasnt the unit itself but something else .
I could be wrong and I am sure somone will tell me so.
+!. We love our Concertone unit. I will admit to being a bit gun shy about them since I read a ton of posts before we picked up our TT. But I'm happy to say that our Genesis 3.0 works great!
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:11 PM   #7

well, the camper has 4 dimmer switches and if you try them one at a time,it does this with each one...and i did replace the unit already.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:14 PM   #8

If it only has the buzzz when using the dimmer then there is what is called feed back causing the interference.

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:17 PM   #9

so how is that fixed??
Old 10-06-2011, 02:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cman View Post
so how is that fixed??
Need to get Herk on here but if I can reach far enough back into the old memory bank it seems like they used to be something besides the choke you mentioned adding. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:29 PM   #11

the wires for the lights may run along side the wires for the stereo and that is causing electro magnetic interference (feedback) you would need to seperate the wires and install a noise filter in the 12v power lead to the stereo. you can maybe run a new power lead to the stereo straight off your battery with an inline noise filter and bypass the convertor and the rest of the electronics that are causing the interference.
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:32 PM   #12

Electromagnetic interference - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 10-06-2011, 02:32 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

How good are your dimmer switches, including the one you replaced? Good ones are supposed to have filters in them to help reduce EMI. Cheap switches often do not.

We bought a house with cheap switches in one room and had the buzz. Replaced with good (higher cost) switches and that took care of it for us. Just a thought.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:36 PM   #14

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...zzz-17033.html

this is a duplicate thread, I have tried to anwser your question in the other thread.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:47 PM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Jumping in!

My standard answer is to check your grounds. Chokes and filters will only work if your system ground is solid. Most of the grounds I found were made by screwing a self tapping screw into a random spot on the frame.

Once the threads start to rust or corrode (almost immediately) the signal starts to get dirty. In my camper the Concertone ground is tied to the frame under the camper's coroplast belly panel. To even check it one side must be dropped.

Radio shack and Cruchfield sell a good filter for a few bucks and if you contact Bob Fields he might be able to facilitate one out of the factory.

American International S-15A (15-amp/250-watt) Power line noise filter at Crutchfield.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 017.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	8371   Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 027.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	8372  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:50 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielflading View Post
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...zzz-17033.html

this is a duplicate thread, I have tried to anwser your question in the other thread.
Merged the 2 threads.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Jumping in!

My standard answer is to check your grounds. Chokes and filters will only work if your system ground is solid. Most of the grounds I found were made by screwing a self tapping screw into a random spot on the frame.

Once the threads start to rust or corrode (almost immediately) the signal starts to get dirty. In my camper the Concertone ground is tied to the frame under the camper's coroplast belly panel. To even check it one side must be dropped.

Radio shack and Cruchfield sell a good filter for a few bucks and if you contact Bob Fields he might be able to facilitate one out of the factory.

American International S-15A (15-amp/250-watt) Power line noise filter at Crutchfield.com
X2 what Herk said, check your ground!
Old 10-06-2011, 06:45 PM   #18

well,ive checked my grounds,replaced the concertone,added the very high end filter and the camper is only 9 months old.so,at this point im looking at possibly getting rid of the dimmers,although i think this should be a warranty issue.like i said earlier,the newer model of my unit doesnt have dimmers in it.
triguy,i replaced the stereo,not the dimmer.