Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2016, 07:26 AM   #1

A/C fan on low

My 15K Dometic air conditioner is, like others have said, sort of loud. My thermostat has a Hi and Low fan setting and neither changes anything. Is it possible to make a lower fan speed?

This sure would be nice at night when the higher fan speed is not needed and just enough noise to hide any snoring
Old 04-17-2016, 07:46 AM   #2

I dunno if I read you right, but if you don't have any fan speed change between high and low ... either your thermostat or fan has a problem. Lowering your fan speed even further than stock will cause you icing problems on the evaporator coil which will resut in no cooling at all. There has to be a certain amount of air flow across the coils for the A/C to operate as designed. Many of us have to run our A/C's on high fan in the summer just to prevent icing during high humidity use. If you have a ducted A/C ... keep the dump door for fast cooling closed and make the air flow thru the ducts instead of dumping it straight down.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:53 AM   #3
Gold Miner At Heart

Yea you should be able to notice a difference between high and low with sound.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:48 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. We went out to the camper convinced that our thermostat was bad and that would be an easy fix. So my wife and I are in the camper switching from Hi to Low, saying I think there is a difference. And sadly, there is a slight difference between hi and low. It's not night and day, it's more like midnight and 12:02. Low is quieter but just barely. So I guess it's working like it's supposed to
Old 04-18-2016, 09:29 AM   #5
Site Team

On our unit there's a fairly significant difference between Hi and Lo fan speeds. You can definitely tell which is which.

Just a thought, but those fan motors actually have 3-speeds, and they cap off the medium speed. Your unit may have the medium and low speed swapped at the factory. The medium speed is a yellow wire and should be capped. The low speed is a red wire and should be hooked to the connector in the control box.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:52 AM   #6

Additionally; If your TS is the Dometic digital and AUTO (AU) is the fan setting the fan will run on high till the temp gets to within about 4 deg of TS setting and then the fan will automatically revert to low speed. If not news, disregard.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan