Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2022, 03:03 PM   #1
Broken Toe

A/C install (not the recommended way)

Not on a camper per se, but it is a camper A/C unit.

A group of my friends all have enclosed cargo trailers. We use them as primitive campers when we take the motorcycles or UTV's away for a weekend. Yep, I got a $33k camper, and I sometimes sleep in a cargo box.

Anyway... Another guy in the group wants to set up a trailer the same way. He is a bit short on cash, so he is doing it on the cheap. He got a great deal on a used Coleman A/C ($150!). But its one that come with a remote thermostat. He was anxious to see if it runs and cools, as the owner had it unhooked and on a shelf.

Being a remote t-stat unit, it requires 12vdc to run the relays in the control box. His cargo trailer had no 12volt, so I was in a bit of a quandary on how to fire it up. He/I didnt really want to hook up an old camper converter just to run the A/C. After thinking about options, in his junk-drawer in his garage, I found an old 'wall-wart' power supply that went to only God knows what. Nobody ever seems to throw them away. I know I got a box of them at my place. 12vdc@1 amp output. Perfect.

A little bit of primitive engineering, some questionable 120volt connection to an extension cord and a bit of jumping out terminals on the thermostat control board with some snips of wire, and I actually managed to get the old unit to fire up and put out cold air. I have no idea of the date of this thing, as the labels were so old and worn they were unreadable. But it quiet as a mouse fart. I mean, you can hardly tell the compressor is running unless you touch it. By far quieter than the 2 on my camper and the 1 on my cargo trailer.

Once I got it fired up, he wanted to see how cold it it would get the trailer, so he wanted to leave it like that for a while. That's when I realized how janky the wiring hookup looked. Presented for your approval...

Don't worry. It wont stay like that. I'll have it all safe and neat next weekend.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 06:43 PM   #2

Sounds like a perfectly good setup.
When camping in a Cargo Trailer I don't think you'll have many people visiting, much less criticizing the wiring.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 10:21 PM   #3
Always Learning

Sad to say, your pics didn't make it through for me.
Old 07-06-2022, 09:26 AM   #4
Broken Toe

Try these..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ac1.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	291.0 KB
ID:	276010   Click image for larger version

Name:	ac2.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	248.6 KB
ID:	276011  

"Camper" 2016
Old 07-06-2022, 09:42 AM   #5
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Sounds like a perfectly good setup.
When camping in a Cargo Trailer I don't think you'll have many people visiting, much less criticizing the wiring.
You'd be surprised.

Where we go with them, sleeping in cargo trailers is the norm, not the exception, so no one really looks down on you for it. And people are just as friendly and quick to visit as at "normal" campgrounds.

Usually, we are just in a field with no hook-ups at all. We are actually set up rather comfy in there. We sleep on a high-quality king size air mattress. Other than some cubbys I put in and a carpet we roll out when camping, it looks just like any old cargo box inside. But some people have really done theirs up nicely. Vinyl plank flooring. Insulation. Paneling or wallpaper. Built in cabinets and counters. Miss Kelly has lots of ideas for projects for me.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 07-06-2022, 02:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
You'd be surprised.

Where we go with them, sleeping in cargo trailers is the norm, not the exception, so no one really looks down on you for it. And people are just as friendly and quick to visit as at "normal" campgrounds.

Usually, we are just in a field with no hook-ups at all. We are actually set up rather comfy in there. We sleep on a high-quality king size air mattress. Other than some cubbys I put in and a carpet we roll out when camping, it looks just like any old cargo box inside. But some people have really done theirs up nicely. Vinyl plank flooring. Insulation. Paneling or wallpaper. Built in cabinets and counters. Miss Kelly has lots of ideas for projects for me.

Tim
Actually not surprised. My Son has one he uses regularly for R/C Rock Crawling Meets.

To me the wiring just looks like "proof of concept" and will eventually look more "conventional".

Enjoy the cool.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 11:44 AM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Try these..
Oh they worked, and they're glorious.
Old 07-08-2022, 08:26 AM   #8

We have a Riverstone and a Sundowner Toyhauler and yet we also use a cargo trailer with an A/C installed occasionally.
The Newsoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 12:41 PM   #9
Broken Toe

Just a quick picture to show how my buddies cargo-camper is coming along. Got 'er all wired up for lights and outlets. He is not able to spend a whole lot of money on it, but I think its looking really nice for what he has in it.

Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220709_134045.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	430.2 KB
ID:	276306  

"Camper" 2016