Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2015, 08:56 AM   #1

A/C issues

A/C comes on mid morning with thermostat set at 75, works well for about 3 hours of running then shuts off for about 5 secs and restarts for about 1 min then shuts off for about 5 secs then restarts and continues to run until after dark. The second time it comes on the air doesn't seem as cool. It is my first time owning as RV but I know with normal house units if the A/C losses power it takes several minutes for the compressor to reset before it will restart. Anyone have any thoughts?
dgking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:50 PM   #2

Let me preface this with I don't own a forest river product... I have a bastard child lol. My AC does the same thing it will run fine for a while then kick off for 5 10 20 seconds then kick right back on. It will keep doing that till it finally runs long enough to cool sufficiently . It is a dometic if that helps. The dealer I went to could not duplicate the problem. They sugested to make sure there were no duct pointed at the thermostat or to try and reset the thermostat. It is the three wire dometic thermostat.
OmDaBomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:07 PM   #3

Yes, it is the domestic.
dgking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:28 PM   #4

I had a similar problem with mine. Turns out that Domestic had a bad batch of A/C units and it was covered under warranty. Unfortunately, they are not designed to be worked on by ANYBODY. They are a forklift replacement only as there are no serviceable parts. I would recommend talking to your dealer.
eshenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:52 PM   #5

Check and make sure the condenser fan on the roof is running and that the coil is clean. It sounds like the compressor is cutting out on high head pressure.