Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2020, 12:44 PM   #1

A/C not cooling

So, I just bought a brand new Wildwood X-Lite, 26 ft trailer. We've been camping twice so far, and the A/C is NOT cooling during heat of day. We've closed all blinds, and stayed away for up to 4-hours but still registers 86 degrees inside. The dealer says it may be because it's only 13,500 BTU...that seems odd to me. Anyone out there have a similar problem?
1lotterer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 12:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lotterer View Post
So, I just bought a brand new Wildwood X-Lite, 26 ft trailer. We've been camping twice so far, and the A/C is NOT cooling during heat of day. We've closed all blinds, and stayed away for up to 4-hours but still registers 86 degrees inside. The dealer says it may be because it's only 13,500 BTU...that seems odd to me. Anyone out there have a similar problem?
Not a HVAC expert. But try this simple test. Take the cover off the unit inside. Take an appropriate thermometer and check the temperature going into the unit and the temperature leaving the unit. Supposedly they are capable of dropping the temperature 20 degrees F.

I am not sure if that is between the outside and inside temperature. I am sure someone will chime and advise us both.

Good luck!
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 01:12 PM   #3

Will if its 105 outside in direct sunlight, then yea what you are experiencing is probably normal. I had a 13.5K unit in a 27' Shasta and never felt it inadequate, it always did a pretty decent job keeping us cool even at the beach.

Shoot even in our 40' Fifth wheel with 2 acs, the one 13.5 unit can keep it fairly comfy inside in 90 degree heat outside with a lil shade here and there.
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 01:56 PM   #4
Site Team

The Delta-T (Differential Temperature) is between the outlet and return. If the outlet air is 15º cooler than the return air your unit is considered operating as designed.

Just because it's operating within parameters doesn't mean there isn't something else is wrong. There are a lot of threads here about ducts being clogged and crushed, and even the terminal ends being left open to where they were dumping cold air into the attic so it was losing a lot of cool air that wasn't helping cool the RV.

Go through a few of those "A/C not cooling" threads and look at some of the issues and see if your unit has any of them that you can fix. It may help a lot.
Old 08-26-2020, 09:28 AM   #5

A/C not cooling update

So the tech guy called and said that the delta (diff b/w in and out temp) was about 20-25 degrees. The issue is...
1. I have a 13,500 BTU unit, and it's working really hard
2. The bathroom is designed at back of camper next to bunks. Closed door and separate entrance, but has no duct work. The tech guy said he opened vent hood in bathroom and turned on fan to allow some airflow from under door which draws cold air thru bathroom, thus keeping hot air from flowing under door into camper

This lowered the temp by 5-7 degrees inside. Hopefully this works!
1lotterer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:43 AM   #6

If it's hot enough to heat up the RV as fast as the A/C can remove it there are really only two solutions. Park in the shade to reduce radiant heating from the sun or a larger A/C unit.

As mentioned earlier it's possible there may be some performance limiting issues. A new trailer could well have blockage of ducts from improperly installed foam sealer. I just cut two chunks out of my duct entrances that were in total the size of a large hamburger bun. Air couldn't enter ducts so cooling was impaired.

Also important to make sure that air flow through rooftop unit is unimpeded. Not usually an issue on a new unit but as years go on bugs can nest and coils can get clogged with dirt, etc. Cottonwoid "fluff" can be a big problem. If heat can't exit there the inside won't cool.

Just some thoughts based on my experiences.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 10:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lotterer View Post

There are many good replies here already with most of the common problems addressed
One more easy test to see if the ducts are the problem: open the slide on the inside cover so the air blows directly down instead of through the ducts
If this cools significantly better then start checking the ducts for blockage or dumping air into the overhead space
It helps all of to know what you find
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:06 AM   #8
PhD, Common Sense

Your delta is quite good. That means the AC is doing precisely the job it was powered to do. If it is not doing the job that needs to be done, then you need a bigger AC to do the bigger job.

Workarounds (bathroom vent, shade, etc.) are fine, but if you are riding the ragged edge of your AC’s abilities, you will often find yourself in unworkaroundable situations. Not to mention the strain you are putting on the AC is greatly shortening its useful life.

Like the old auto mechanic commercials: “You can pay me now, or you can pay me later.”

I’d upgrade after making sure the RV can power the upgrade without shutting everything else off.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling