Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2020, 01:21 AM   #1

A/C problems no more in upper Canada

Sat on our A/C issue trying to get rectification from Chaparral. Response was disappointing.
Got to thinking, if we have this issue there may be others that do too. So will share findings.
We have been having an issue with our RV Air Conditioning.
We only have one A/C unit and would not cool the RV.
Took the RV back to the dealership the year we bought it. They found the A/C operating at manufactures standard. Most likely they tested at the unit and not at a vent. Regardless, at the unit, no way was it operating to standard.
I did my own investigating and am appalled at the quality of workmanship.
I worked at this for 3 hours rectifying what should have been done at the factory or caught by dealership. Only thing I can't repair is the cut through duct where the roof vent is.
Before repairs there was no cooling at 28C (82.4F outside temp). Now at 32C (89.6F) it is comfortable. No more sitting in a friends RV to get away from heat.
Pics in order of comments.
Removed the inside shroud of the A/C and found gaps allowing a short circuit of air flow between evaporator and exhaust fan and gaps to the ducts.
Sealed the local vent at cover so air will flow through ducting.

Removed all ten A/C ceiling vents. All had air gaps and sealing tape extruding into the duct restricting flow.

View with mirror looking down the duct to next vent. Restricted flow at next vent as with all.

Used a mirror to inspect the duct run at each vent. Found collapsed ducting.

At the front of the RV found the duct work not sealed after the last vents, it was open up to the cap.

The front factory installed roof vent was installed through the duct work supplying the front (passenger side) A/C vent. This A/C vent is no longer usable.

Roof vent or ducting was installed in the wrong place or ducting is for the 2nd A/C unit.

This cut through duct work was not sealed, only covered up to hide.
In this same roof vent opening I found no roof insulation 6" from the opening to front of RV.

Obviously our RV missed quality control because the air flow through the ducts would have been caught.
Sent our A/C issue and repair to Brookstone, Chaparral, Phoenix and received a reply of " hence the one year warranty", they gotta be kidding!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7103.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	238477   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7104.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	238478   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7091.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	238479   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7093.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	282.0 KB
ID:	238480   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7092.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	238481  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7095.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	287.1 KB
ID:	238482   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7097.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	277.4 KB
ID:	238483   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7096.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	238484   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7100.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	238485   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7102.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	245.5 KB
ID:	238486  

Arnie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 02:35 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie M View Post
Sat on our A/C issue trying to get rectification from Chaparral. Response was disappointing.
Got to thinking, if we have this issue there may be others that do too. So will share findings.
We have been having an issue with our RV Air Conditioning.
We only have one A/C unit and would not cool the RV.
Took the RV back to the dealership the year we bought it. They found the A/C operating at manufactures standard. Most likely they tested at the unit and not at a vent. Regardless, at the unit, no way was it operating to standard.
I did my own investigating and am appalled at the quality of workmanship.
I worked at this for 3 hours rectifying what should have been done at the factory or caught by dealership. Only thing I can't repair is the cut through duct where the roof vent is.
Before repairs there was no cooling at 28C (82.4F outside temp). Now at 32C (89.6F) it is comfortable. No more sitting in a friends RV to get away from heat.
Pics in order of comments.
Removed the inside shroud of the A/C and found gaps allowing a short circuit of air flow between evaporator and exhaust fan and gaps to the ducts.
Sealed the local vent at cover so air will flow through ducting.

Removed all ten A/C ceiling vents. All had air gaps and sealing tape extruding into the duct restricting flow.

View with mirror looking down the duct to next vent. Restricted flow at next vent as with all.

Used a mirror to inspect the duct run at each vent. Found collapsed ducting.

At the front of the RV found the duct work not sealed after the last vents, it was open up to the cap.

The front factory installed roof vent was installed through the duct work supplying the front (passenger side) A/C vent. This A/C vent is no longer usable.

Roof vent or ducting was installed in the wrong place or ducting is for the 2nd A/C unit.

This cut through duct work was not sealed, only covered up to hide.
In this same roof vent opening I found no roof insulation 6" from the opening to front of RV.

Obviously our RV missed quality control because the air flow through the ducts would have been caught.
Sent our A/C issue and repair to Brookstone, Chaparral, Phoenix and received a reply of " hence the one year warranty", they gotta be kidding!
I was nervous removing the ceiling vents. Found doing so in warm weather there was no issue although I did pull a couple whole vent housings down.
The vent part has three snaps so it can be rotated to direct air flow (the snaps are the only thing to be concerned of).
Once the vent part is removed you can access the screws to remove the housing ring.
If the whole housing is pulled down (with vent), remove the vent part, rotate the housing a few degrees and screw back in then snap the vent in. Your reinstall will probably last longer than their heavily torqued in screws that are not holding anything.
My repairs to all ducting was folding down the crap they installed and applied 3M duct tape to all holes, gaps and collapsed duct.
Main ceiling unit repair was blocking any air leakage between evaporator and exhaust fan (feed to duct work). Sealed all main unit local exhaust vents keeping all return vents open.
Old 12-12-2020, 07:42 PM   #3

Only thing I can't repair is the cut through duct where the roof vent is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie M View Post
I was nervous removing the ceiling vents. Found doing so in warm weather there was no issue although I did pull a couple whole vent housings down.
The vent part has three snaps so it can be rotated to direct air flow (the snaps are the only thing to be concerned of).
Once the vent part is removed you can access the screws to remove the housing ring.
If the whole housing is pulled down (with vent), remove the vent part, rotate the housing a few degrees and screw back in then snap the vent in. Your reinstall will probably last longer than their heavily torqued in screws that are not holding anything.
My repairs to all ducting was folding down the crap they installed and applied 3M duct tape to all holes, gaps and collapsed duct.
Main ceiling unit repair was blocking any air leakage between evaporator and exhaust fan (feed to duct work). Sealed all main unit local exhaust vents keeping all return vents open.
Found out the cut through the roof vent is where the second AC is to be installed. Sooo...one vent off it on one side and a common duct to fight the main AC...?
Old 12-14-2020, 11:39 AM   #4
Site Team

Thanks for posting this. You did a lot of good in making things work like they should.

This will certainly help someone in the future.

Tags
canada