Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2021, 07:29 PM   #1

A.C question

So, sitting in Southern California at 4000 ft altitude. Its 101 outside, and 78 degrees inside. That's with a/c vent under unit wide open (and noisy). With just vents it got up to 86.
Am I expecting too much? Some long term folks here in this park have taken out window sets to add swamp coolers, but that seems like over kill.
My system is clean, filter too. I am in partial shade, but sun does hit roof somewhat.
Thoughts please...? And then, if service is needed, can a traditional A/C contractor work on this Dometic?
Thanks!

rennzfr
Cherokee 234 VFK series, built 2020.
Rennzfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 08:39 PM   #2

I think a 20 degree differential is about all you can expect. You're getting 23 degree difference inside a scantily insulated box. I really don't think you can get much colder without adding reflectix to all the windows.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 08:54 PM   #3
Trailer Park Supervisor

Yes, you are expecting too much. I'd be glad to be at 78 inside when it is 101 out there! I'll bet you money it's nice and cool as night temps are lower and no sun. Best you can do is keep it going all night till it's nice and cool so it doesn't work so hard when sun comes back. And blinds down, cushion up in skylight!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 11:23 AM   #4

20 degrees is about right. also using the dumps under the unit and not only the vents (if you have them) is actually costing you efficiency as the air return is sucking the freshly cooled air right back into the system. Closing the dumps once the inside temp drops is best.

Renogy bits: 3000W Inverter/Charger, 400Ah LiFePo4, 40A DC-to-DC
Rich Solar bits: 400W of panels, 40A MPPT
Misc bits: LevelMatePro+, SolidRemote based wireless controlled LED storage lighting
jbflag21ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 11:37 AM   #5
Trailer Park Supervisor

My system is very simple, like a window AC unit, no dumps/ducting, etc. But how is recirculating cool air less efficient? It seems to me that the less of a differential in inside/outside temp, the MORE efficient the system would work.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 11:47 AM   #6

i googled you flor plan, not a huge rv but with only one ac unit that sounds about right especially if its 13.5k
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 12:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Its 101 outside, and 78 degrees inside.
I think you are as good as it gets...

get a 20 inch box fan to move that cool air around inside the camper and give a little wind-chill effect...

get one of those Harbor Freight silver reflective tarps and drape it over the roof of the camper... tie it down but leave the AC unit open to the air... shading 2/3's of the camper has to help some...

I hold my home at 78 in the summer but I also have two tower fans running on low circulating air in the living/TV area and sometimes I get a refreshing chill from the air blowing over me.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 12:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
My system is very simple, like a window AC unit, no dumps/ducting, etc. But how is recirculating cool air less efficient? It seems to me that the less of a differential in inside/outside temp, the MORE efficient the system would work.
because the unit blows cool air out and sucks a large portion of it directly back in without allowing it to distribute through the trailer.

the 20 degree differential is about the interior air and the ambient outside air temps, not the interior air passing through the cooling coil. If the ambient air is hot, less energy can be transferred from the outside condenser to the air to fully cool the refrigerant in the lines for it to then work at full efficiency on the coil side.

Renogy bits: 3000W Inverter/Charger, 400Ah LiFePo4, 40A DC-to-DC
Rich Solar bits: 400W of panels, 40A MPPT
Misc bits: LevelMatePro+, SolidRemote based wireless controlled LED storage lighting
jbflag21ds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
question