Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2015, 02:48 PM   #1

A/C stopped working, need some ideas

I have a similar question. A/C worked all last year. This year I had it on for about 10 hours. I turned it off, then it won't turn back on.

I can't find a breaker box in my 15 foot R-Vision trailer. I don't know where a breaker for the A/C unit is. The manual for the unit is generic, and says the breaker box is usually in the bathroom. 3 handy people have looked and can't find one anywhere in the trailer.

A/C Model: Carrier, 68RV0010AA. About 8 years old.

Question 2:
After shut off, for about the next 12 hours I heard water trickling from the roof area. Is that normal?
xlphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 03:23 PM   #2

Sounds like it was froze up if you was hearing water draining so long.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 03:27 PM   #3

It sounds like you froze your evap coil. then that will block your heat transfer and over heat your compressor then that will go off on internal overload. The water you heard coming out later could have been your coil defrosting in the heat. Once they start to freeze they will keep freezing until either you shut it off or the compressor go's out on over load. The two main reasons a coil will freeze is not getting enough air over it, duty coil or filter or more then likely low on freon, most people will not know it's low until it's a hot day and your unit will start to freeze. If it just 75 or 80 it might just cool fine.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 03:46 PM   #4

Thanks, gljurczyk.

I had just taken it to the RV repair prior to this issue as the bolts or whatever it hangs from on the internal ceiling were loose. Too bad they didn't service it, and I didn't think of asking.

I did try to turn it back on after 24 hours with no luck. I looked up the high for that day it turned off, was 89/90oF.

Shall I take it back to the RV place? They are reasonably priced, and while I do like to DIY sometimes, this is not anything I have time or interest to work on.

Thanks
xlphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 03:49 PM   #5
Site Team

Since your trailer is not a FR brand, I suggest you check out the R-Vision Owners Club website, for questions specific to your R-Vision product, like where is the breaker box.

It's also important to post which R-Vision brand and model you have, if you want help with your particular trailer. Saying it's a15 ft R-Vision trailer doesn't give enough info for someone trying to help you.
I'm not even sure if FR ever used Carrier a/c's in any of their products.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 03:00 PM   #6

Disconnect power and battery and reconnect. Sometimes resets controles.
butchlochala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:30 PM   #7
Retired Army MSG!

We had a Carrier unit on our TT. Carrier stopped making ac for RV's several years ago and m most RV dealers cannot get parts for them. Mine never cooled well and also froze up. Refrigerant was leaking and once you start messing with a closed loop system as RV AC units have you do not always get the leak fixed. I hope you have better luck than we did in getting yours repaired. Your breaker should be on the panel in your power converter. You may find it best to replace that unit with a new Dometic or Coleman AC. Travel safely.
lazyjj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:25 PM   #8

Yep. Best save the repair money and replace it.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote