Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2012, 11:18 PM   #1

A/c trouble. Input needed.

Am not sure if this is the fault of my camper or the electric at the campsite but on any hot day the ac seems to run for a bit and then bogg down. Next it trips the breaker. Turning it back on just leads to it doing the same thing instantly. After it cools a bit outside it works again just fine. When it blows it blows cold and works great. My ac is a duo therm and the camper is a 2005 forest river FEMA model. I have two heavy duty 30 amp cords plugged intone another. Could this cause it? I have had people tell me it could be the ac compressor and other say that it is not getting the power it needs from the outlet. Help?
xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:30 PM   #2

I would guess that it is the cords. The longer the run to the A/C the more drop in power and it is affected by heat. I would try to eliminate one power cord if you can get closer to the power source.

Just my opinion. I have the same issue when I use an extension cord with my air compressor, at home. With no extension cord the compressor runs perfect.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:40 PM   #3
Too old to be too smart

I think you're onto something with the extensions being the cause.

Installing a "hard start" capacitor may also give some relief.

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:55 AM   #4

There is no way fr me to move closer to the box. Perhaps I could just get a longer cord? Wouldn't it essentially be the same thing though only without the extra plugs?
Old 07-11-2012, 06:02 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander
There is no way fr me to move closer to the box. Perhaps I could just get a longer cord? Wouldn't it essentially be the same thing though only without the extra plugs?
Longer cord with no ends in the middle will not help.
Can you install the box closer?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:12 AM   #6

There is no way for me to move the box.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:16 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander
There is no way for me to move the box.
You might be able to upgrade to a 50 amp cord and change ends to 30amp.

With air running on a hot day have you checked voltage at camper?
You might be less than 110v thus harming your equipment further.

Is this at your home?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
You might be able to upgrade to a 50 amp cord and change ends to 30amp.

With air running on a hot day have you checked voltage at camper?
You might be less than 110v thus harming your equipment further.

Is this at your home?

No it is at a campsite. I asked the owner about it and he pretty much just told me to kick rocks and that it happens to everyone there in the summer. No one else that I have talked to is having the trouble that I am though. A couple have told me that their breaker trips but they can turn it right back on.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #9

when these a/c units operate discharge psi can get north of 250psi on hot day. you have to give unit time for pressures to eqalize before resetting. i like to put 5 minute time delays on my a/c in case someone plays with thermostat or temporary power blip.
skipper194242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:34 AM   #10
Mod free 5er

Would go with f1100turbo on the heavier cord and you might have a weak breaker on the post or in the trailer or both. If nothing else, offer to buy a new breaker for the post and have the owner install it, but a heavier cord would really help.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper194242
when these a/c units operate discharge psi can get north of 250psi on hot day. you have to give unit time for pressures to eqalize before resetting. i like to put 5 minute time delays on my a/c in case someone plays with thermostat or temporary power blip.

When it start tripping like this I can let it sit a hour and it will do the same thing when I turn it on. I will take your advice on waiting 5 minutes between cycles though. I am wondering what would be the symptoms if it were my actual unit going bad?
Old 07-11-2012, 10:53 AM   #12

Is there a way to tell of the cord or breaker is the problem? If I bought one of those meters that you plug into a outlet would it tell me? I have heard that there are too many campers on my electric source but I don't know for sure if that is true or if it is the cause.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #13

A couple other things I should note.

We have a full size fridge bc it's a FEMA. I have tried disconnecting the fridge totally but that doesn't make the ac work any better when it is acting up.

I doubt this makes a difference but there is no battery connected tote camper at the front. Was missing when I bought it.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:13 AM   #14
Too old to be too smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper194242 View Post
Are you saying that there isn't already at least SOME compressor-stall time delay provided in these units?

I knew they were built to a price, but that's cutting costs in a place that's very important?

I will have to look into that if this is true.

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:27 AM   #15
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
Am not sure if this is the fault of my camper or the electric at the campsite but on any hot day the ac seems to run for a bit and then bogg down. Next it trips the breaker. Turning it back on just leads to it doing the same thing instantly. After it cools a bit outside it works again just fine. When it blows it blows cold and works great. My ac is a duo therm and the camper is a 2005 forest river FEMA model. I have two heavy duty 30 amp cords plugged intone another. Could this cause it? I have had people tell me it could be the ac compressor and other say that it is not getting the power it needs from the outlet. Help?
What is the total length from where you are plugged in to your trailer? You mention 2 cords, I'm guessing 25ft each? Is there a cord attached to the trailer as well? Not sure about FEMA set-ups.
Are you on a permanent site?

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #16

About 35 feet so he I have two 25 ft cords w a little slack. The cords are buried and yes this is a permanent lot for the summer. No other cords running to camper except the 30.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:26 PM   #17
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
About 35 feet so he I have two 25 ft cords w a little slack. The cords are buried and yes this is a permanent lot for the summer. No other cords running to camper except the 30.
If they cords are buried, does that mean one set of plugs are in the ground? If so, that could also be a problem. I would still suspect the breaker to be defective on the pole.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:33 PM   #18

Yes one end is in the ground. I have them wrapped up water tight with a whole roll of electrical tape. Also the area where they meet is under my deck out of the rain.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:34 PM   #19

Would a meter plugged into the camper tell me if the breaker is bad? What would be the best and most cost effective process of elimination?
Old 07-11-2012, 01:21 PM   #20

Extention cord plugged to power cord. Probably 50' or more. Buried. Underground. OooooKayyyyyy! Sounds like fun to me!!!
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote