Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM   #1

AC fuse trips when using hot water on electric

I have a 2006 Forest River Shamrock model 233. When I run both the AC and the hot water heater(via electric element), my AC circuit breaker trips. I have a suburban hot water, 6GAL and just replaced the element. The replacement element was a little longer but fits and works in the 6GAL Suburban. The tank does make hot water now via electric but it is causing a strain on my electric if the AC breaker keeps tripping. The element says 1440W, is that too much wattage? Is that causing the breaker to trip? The part is Suburban 520900. Any thoughts on how to run them simultaneously? I would run it on propane but when I do that, it fires up for a few seconds and stops and never restarts. I guess is all else fails, I may need to trouble shoot the propane side. I checked the exterior thermostat on the hot water heater both the AC and DC side and both side give me continuity on my meter. I am running a 30AMP service. Any thoughts on how to prevent the breaker tripping? Thanks
Joe Cornaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 09:49 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cornaglia View Post
I have a 2006 Forest River Shamrock model 233. When I run both the AC and the hot water heater(via electric element), my AC circuit breaker trips. I have a suburban hot water, 6GAL and just replaced the element. The replacement element was a little longer but fits and works in the 6GAL Suburban. The tank does make hot water now via electric but it is causing a strain on my electric if the AC breaker keeps tripping. The element says 1440W, is that too much wattage? Is that causing the breaker to trip? The part is Suburban 520900. Any thoughts on how to run them simultaneously? I would run it on propane but when I do that, it fires up for a few seconds and stops and never restarts. I guess is all else fails, I may need to trouble shoot the propane side. I checked the exterior thermostat on the hot water heater both the AC and DC side and both side give me continuity on my meter. I am running a 30AMP service. Any thoughts on how to prevent the breaker tripping? Thanks

OK, quick and dirty basic electric tutorial. amps X voltage= watts or another way is watts divided by voltage = amps

You probably have a 30 amp RV which mean you can run near abouts 30 amps worth of stuff which equates to 3600 watts. 30 amps X 120 volts = 3600 watts.

When I say near abouts, each circuit breaker can have a little bit different tripping point so 30 amps may be a little more or a little less.

Your 1440 watts electric heating element is 12 amps, so 30-12=18 amps left to run your air conditioner, converter, and any other thing in the RV that needs 120 volt AC

You "should" be able to run the electric heating element and air conditioner at same time, but maybe can't. I know I can't run my microwave (another high amp appliance) at the same time as my air conditioner during the summer without tripping the main 30 amp circuit breaker.

However if your circuit breaker to your AC is tripping (as emboldened in red in your quoted post above) and not the MAIN 30 amp circuit breaker, this is something else. An Air conditioner should be on it's own 20 amp circuit breaker independent of any other appliance on that same breaker. Has someone previously done some modifications?

EDIT: One more thing, if the water in the water heater tank is already heated from the electric element, then the propane will not come on, as the thermostat is keeping it all open as it senses the water is already hot.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 09:56 PM   #3

You probably need to troubleshoot the propane and get it working. I don't know the reason why, but in our tt, running the water heater on electric and using the air conditioner resulted in tripping a breaker. It was a 30 amp rig.

When we had to run the water heater on electric, the air conditioner would be turned off during the shower. When we were done, we'd turn off the water heater. I hate having to reset breakers.
Old 08-06-2022, 07:57 AM   #4

Reverse snowbird, that is what I think I will have to do is get the hot water heating working on propane, as I can't think of anyway around the circuit tripping when the AC and Hot water heater are on together. I will research the forum on Suburban Hot water heaters kicking on/firing up for a few seconds and then turning off and see what the issue could be.

Thanks
Old 08-06-2022, 08:23 AM   #5
Site Team

Trying to troubleshoot the propane side of the WH.

Does your stove top burners operate correctly? If not you may have tripped the free-flow protection device in the tank.

Does the WH actually light? If so the flame sensor may be defective or obstructed.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 11:34 AM   #6

Yes, the stove burners operate correctly and have been used several times. The Water Heater actually lights and fires up for about 15 seconds and then stops and never reignites. I will look up the suburban flame sensor and see if I have any obstructions (I guess spider webs) or see if an OHM reading will tell me it not working properly. Thanks
Old 08-06-2022, 11:40 AM   #7

Smile AC Breaker trips

Check the screw terminal on the side of the breaker, where the AC power comes in. If loose, it may heat, which adds heat to the breaker and cause it to trip.

While you are in there, just check all the screws for all of the AC power wiring. Don't over-tighten but just snug them up a bit.

>>>>> YOU MUST unplug your camper from shore power to be safe.<<<<<
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 12:58 PM   #8

Which breaker trips? The pedestal? Your 30 amp main? Your 15 amp dedicated circuit breaker?
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 06:29 AM   #9

Find someone with a clamp on ammeter and see how much power your trailer is using with the hot water heater on, then turn on the AC. That'll tell you more of what's going on than guessing at it. In our trailer, when I did that, I think I was around 26 amps, then it would drop to 24-ish. For me that was too close, so I shut the AC off while I had a shower. I also had the hot water tank on electric and propane for a faster recovery, so my wife could shower shortly after I was done.

TT: 2020 26' Hemisphere 26BHHL
TV: 2020 GMC 2500HD 4x4
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 11:47 AM   #10

My water heater is on electric, my evaporation type refrigerator is on electric, my converter is on, and my A/C is on. No problems with tripping 30 amp breaker in the trailer here.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, fuse, hot water, water