Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2020, 11:41 AM   #1

AC or Converter issue

The converter on our 2013 Lacrosse 311RLS has suddenly begun to hum. The more lights are on, the louder the hum becomes. Never noticed this before or noticed this in our other camper. Also when we began to run the AC after a period of time it is tripping the main breaker. Never did this before either. I'm beginning to think they are connected. Do you think I need a new converter? My converter is a WFCO 8955 PEC. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
dicknlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 12:32 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

First off... your converter has nothing to do with the A/C.
While it is often housed in the same area as the electrical power distribution box, the converter does not supply any AC power to the A/C. Some of the thermostats/controls use 12v but that would not make the A/C's breaker trip or the main breaker.

Now for the humming... depends on what that is??

Converters do have a fan that runs when loads get higher.
Is the fan running causing the noise?
Is the fan not running causing the hum?
It is hard for us to guess about a noise we cannot hear.
Is your battery(ies) in good shape and not causing the converter to over work?
A bad cell can cause the converter to work excessively.

Have you tested any voltages?
Have you looked for loose connections?
Do you have a voltmeter/multimeter and know how to use it?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 12:34 PM   #3
Site Team

Can I ask what/where you are currently plugged into? Campground, home, etc. 30 amp or 50 amp?

Are you using any adapters to connect to a power source. Extension cords, etc?

When you say main breaker, is this in the RV?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 12:41 PM   #4
Site Team

Are you still on original battery?

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 03:37 PM   #5
TGR

It sounds like your converter is putting out lots of power to something, e.g., a bad battery. The heavy load means your converter is drawing a lot of power from your AC power source and when combined with your air conditioner’s current load, it ends up tripping your main breaker.

You can disconnect your battery and see if he humming goes away. If so, then you only need a new battery.
Old 06-19-2020, 05:34 PM   #6

Okay. Here’s we’re we are. First I have a new 27 battery this year. We are in a permanent campsite on the Chesapeake Bay. Last season we were in a permanent site in the Catskills of NY when I noticed the problem at the end of the season. We took our smaller camper to Alaska so we were gone most of the summer. I will be back in Maryland by the end of next week so we can check out any electrical issues with the multimeter. Once I figure out how. We are always on 30 amp shore power. I appreciate all the information.
dicknlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 05:55 PM   #7

If i read your post correctly you hear a hum from the converter that increases as you turn on more 12 volt loads.

THEN

When you turn on the A/C the breaker trips.

Sounds to me that there is an issue with the converter and it is drawing more current than it should. Then when the starting load of the A/C is added, "pop geos the breaker".

Before tossing money and parts at the issue either purchase a clamp type ammeter or find a friend with one.

Measure the input current to the converter after you've made it hum as loud as you can by turning on lights, fans, and even furnace.

Most converters up to 60 amp or so are rated at 1000 watts so current draw should be under 9 amp max.

If more, but less than the 15 amp rating of the breaker, adding the A/C with it's higher inrush current may be too much for the 30 amp main breaker.

Measure currents first. Even try with battery(s disconnected. Diagnose before spending.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter