Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2015, 04:31 PM   #1

AC Roof Vent in Loft Keeps Forming lots of condensation

We have a 2015 Wildwood Lodge with a loft, it has dual AC units. We are set up on a permanent camp site. The back unit which cools the loft and the master bedroom below it has been forming a lot of condensation all around the ceiling vent and across the ceiling too and it then drips onto the mattresses and the carpet below the vents. I am afraid we will end up with water damage on the ceiling, carpet and mattresses. Does anybody know if there is a way to stop this condensation?

Thanks very much for any advice
Farrs1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:56 PM   #2

It's caused by the humidity in the surrounding air and being the vent is colder draws it to the cold vent and condenses on it. If the cold air is blowing against the ceiling and making it colder than the surrounding air it will do the same and form condensation on it also. You could remove the vent and let the cold air fall straight down instead of the vent making it blow across the ceiling. Once the humidity gets removed enough from inside the RV it will stop condensating.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:55 PM   #3

Keep it wiped dry every hour till the humidity gets down inside the camper. An open vent, window or in and out of the door will add to the problem.

Agree on the above post.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:04 PM   #4

Thanks everyone
Farrs1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 02:16 PM   #5

Phantom duct-work.
I discovered something in my little camper but it might just apply to yours. I found moisture around my bathroom vent also. In the process of wiping it off thinking that this is just the way it is going to be on a very hot, 100% humidity day I felt some air on my hand. After playing around with my vent and the light mounted next to it I discovered that there was actually real air conditioning cool air coming out of the bezel around the vent and the light. I got to reading on this forum and found out that there are vent ducts cut into the Styrofoam under the ceiling panel for another version of my camper where they WOULD have put vents in the bathroom area. So there were ducts in the ceiling structure that went no where. I opened up the 2 existent vents leading to that area and found that there were partially but not totally sealed off ducts heading to the back of my trailer. They ended around the vent and ceiling light that were blowing air. You might have the same thing going on in your unit, ducts in the ceiling that lead up to your outside vent area bringing cold air that then makes moisture.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 02:20 PM   #6

I agree you will need to lower the humidity in the trailer ( by operating the AC ) before you will alleviate the problem. I use a dehumidifier in my park model that runs at a set humidity setting all the time. Its in Florida and we deal with plenty of humidity down here. I plumbed the tank hose for the dehumidifier through the floor so I do not have to empty the tank. The trailer is always fresh and nice smelling when we return to Florida in November. There is no musty closed up smell. The humidistat on the big HVAC unit hardly runs. Just an Idea if you do not move around much.
hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 02:34 PM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpipeliner View Post
An open vent, window or in and out of the door will add to the problem.
My bedroom A/C gets condensation if we leave the bathroom's ceiling vent open for more than an hour or two.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loft, roo, roof, vent