Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2015, 07:14 PM   #1
Who Dares, Wins

Adding hard start capacitor

So I am thinking of adding the hard start capacitor to my Domestic 13,500 AC. I was thinking of using the SPP6 capacitor to help with the start up on my gene.

I only have one capacitor for the AC and the fan. I am guessing I would just add the capacitor in parallel to the red and white wires on the A/C side. Just want to run this past the smarter people than me to make sure I am good. Pics of the wiring and current capacitor...

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:45 PM   #2

Yep. I see two extra terminals on the red side and one extra on the white. Party on Garth!

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
So I am thinking of adding the hard start capacitor to my Domestic 13,500 AC. I was thinking of using the SPP6 capacitor to help with the start up on my gene.

I only have one capacitor for the AC and the fan. I am guessing I would just add the capacitor in parallel to the red and white wires on the A/C side. Just want to run this past the smarter people than me to make sure I am good. Pics of the wiring and current capacitor...

yep that is correct....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:51 PM   #4
Who Dares, Wins

Yes there is indeed one terminal hiding under the white wires. Thanks for your confirmations.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 06-25-2015, 08:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Yes there is indeed one terminal hiding under the white wires.
Man. You guys have good eyes. Even after Hondaman noted the white side I had to look 3 times to see that little guy hiding under there.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:08 PM   #6

I would make a drawing of the cap connections (or a cell phone pic or two) for reference then unhook it and take it to an electric motor place. Near Cincinnati we have a place called A-1 Electric. Granger may carry them also. Show it to them and get a larger value cap and hook it up. This looks to be a multi-value cap... more then one internal cap value. Just get one with larger values... the cap may double in size but would be easier then adding another cap in parallel... IMO

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 07:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
I would make a drawing of the cap connections (or a cell phone pic or two) for reference then unhook it and take it to an electric motor place. Near Cincinnati we have a place called A-1 Electric. Granger may carry them also. Show it to them and get a larger value cap and hook it up. This looks to be a multi-value cap... more then one internal cap value. Just get one with larger values... the cap may double in size but would be easier then adding another cap in parallel... IMO
It is compressor and also fan capacitor. You need to be careful increasing the Megs it could cause a problem. A plug in hard start is the best way to do that but just my opinion especially on run capacitors.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:37 AM   #8

I tend to agree with gljurczyk above...

I have bought used motors and compressors that would not start for pennies on the dollar only to fix them with a new cap sized not much larger than the originally installed size. With a quick google you can find a sizing chart for the amount of uF (micro farads) that you should use for specifically sized motors and compressors. There is a range of sizes that you can use. You may just want to try another cap the same size or just lightly larger and you might find that the one you have now is weak (leaky).

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:18 PM   #9

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
Don't go more than 10% of the MFD rating for the motor you're working on. Never go less than the factory rating.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:28 PM   #10

X2 on the 10% rule... it's in stone somewhere. I wouldn't go toooo big on the start cap either.... it's a "plug and play" deal to add the start assist kit. Plug to the c/com terminal... and the herm/compressor terminal on the run cap... stay away from the fan terminal.
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:30 PM   #11

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
I agree with Iwannacamp.....you put that cap on the fan circuit,,,you'll smoke it.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:36 PM   #12

The Supco SPP6 is a start assist kit, they call it "hard start kit". It is a capacitor, a voltage "sensor" and relay. Not just a capacitor. $10.60 on Amazon... I got free shipping and not tax. Just like #2, #3 said. Just connect to Red and White. You can see on the cover where

Dometic shows the optional start assist would wire into, same, same. There is no need to toy with the factory run capacitor values for either fan or compressor motors.

You will need to add about 6 to 8" to the two leads to be able to mount it outside the box, since it won't fit inside, if the one you get was like mine; also, zip ties to hold it in place.

You could buy the factory Dometic start assist and it will fit inside the capacitor housing.

When powering via a generator, you will almost certainly notice the improvement.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 01:44 PM   #13

To quote doc 73 """I only have one capacitor for the AC and the fan. I am guessing I would just add the capacitor in parallel to the red and white wires on the A/C side. Just want to run this past the smarter people than me to make sure I am good. Pics of the wiring and current capacitor..."""

Don't capacitors in // add the two micro farad values?
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 02:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Halifax View Post
To quote doc 73 """I only have one capacitor for the AC and the fan. I am guessing I would just add the capacitor in parallel to the red and white wires on the A/C side. Just want to run this past the smarter people than me to make sure I am good. Pics of the wiring and current capacitor..."""

Don't capacitors in // add the two micro farad values?
That is only for starting once it kicks over it will drop out. All you are really doing is adding stored power to the start winding of the compressors. By the the way they come in different sizes such as 2,3,4 and 5 ton make sure you get the 2 ton or smaller not the 5 ton. I had compressors that where in locked rotor and that little extra boast got them going. I have put hundreds of those on compressors.... PS: to be safe I would remove the wires and short a screw driver across the terminals to discharge it. It could knock you down if it sparks. You will not hurt it. That's the first thing you have to do to test it with an ohm meter. Also if you see any oil or it is bulging it will need to be replace with the same MF. If you are not testing it then put the hard start on and compressor terminals and mount it somewhere then your done.

Old 06-26-2015, 02:53 PM   #15
Who Dares, Wins

Thank you all for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
The Supco SPP6 is a start assist kit, they call it "hard start kit". It is a capacitor, a voltage "sensor" and relay. Not just a capacitor. $10.60 on Amazon... I got free shipping and not tax. Just like #2, #3 said. Just connect to Red and White. You can see on the cover where

Dometic shows the optional start assist would wire into, same, same. There is no need to toy with the factory run capacitor values for either fan or compressor motors.

You will need to add about 6 to 8" to the two leads to be able to mount it outside the box, since it won't fit inside, if the one you get was like mine; also, zip ties to hold it in place.

You could buy the factory Dometic start assist and it will fit inside the capacitor housing.

When powering via a generator, you will almost certainly notice the improvement.
I did not think it was going to fit inside the electrical box. So I guess it is pretty weather resistant than. Thanks. Just ordered it on Prime for the $10 and some change.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 06-26-2015, 02:57 PM   #16

You may have to shave the cap down a half inch or less to fit inside box. I just made sure wires were not pinched and crammed it it!😜

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 03:17 PM   #17

I note two different hard start capacitors being recommended in various posts: Supco SPP6 and Supco SSP6E

I looked on the Supco web site for info on the difference, however I am not A/C tech smart enought to understand the data!
Henboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:26 PM   #18

Use the "hard start kit" it is designed to take itself electrically out of the circuit once the compressor starts. Putting an oversized capacitor will cause your compressor to run hotter.
harpplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:45 PM   #19
Too old to be too smart

One has a physical set of relay contacts to "cut out" the added capacitance after a short (start) time.

The "suffix-E" model has a solid state relay that does the same thing, only electronically.

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:50 PM   #20

Thanks Pop.

Any preference??
Henboy is offline   Reply With Quote