Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2021, 11:36 AM   #1

Air conditioner compressor shuts off off

I have a 2016 cedar creek and the bedroom air conditioner turns on and compressor will kick off after 20 to 69 seconds. Then fan will shut off 30 seconds later. After the thermostat goes thru wait period the air conditioner will go thru it again. Temperature is set low so it's not the issue Any ideas on the problem??
LindaNTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 11:56 AM   #2

sounds like the capacitor is bad it's location is under your plastic cover on roof. You should see it next to housing clamped to it you can test it with a multi meter
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 12:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaNTom View Post
I have a 2016 cedar creek and the bedroom air conditioner turns on and compressor will kick off after 20 to 69 seconds. Then fan will shut off 30 seconds later. After the thermostat goes thru wait period the air conditioner will go thru it again. Temperature is set low so it's not the issue Any ideas on the problem??
Bad T-stat , or loose wire in AC or bad AC control board . one of the three is my guess
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 04:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfo111 View Post
sounds like the capacitor is bad it's location is under your plastic cover on roof. You should see it next to housing clamped to it you can test it with a multi meter

Thanks for the info will check it out
Old 09-11-2021, 04:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Bad T-stat , or loose wire in AC or bad AC control board . one of the three is my guess
MrM
Thanks I will try and narrow it down from your list
Old 09-12-2021, 04:04 PM   #6

Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfo111 View Post
Umm, I've seen a lot of motor capacitors. When they go bad, the motor doesn't run at all--it sits there and hums.
The OP's unit runs for a while and stops--apparently the compressor motor stops AND then the blower motor stops after a delay. This does NOT sound like a capacitor problem. The electronics board normally causes the blower to run after the compressor stops. This scavenges the last of the cooling from the evaporator and also dries things to minimize mold growth. That's all normal.

The problem is that something in the control system is shutting the system down. Low refrigerant? Bad sensor someplace? Could be. But not likely to be a bad capacitor.

EDIT: I am not an HVAC guy. But I do know that low refrigerant can cause the unit to ice up internally. If that happens it could shut down. Five minutes later the restriction is gone and the pressures have equalized and it could start again.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 06:38 PM   #7

most have a combine start and run capacitor. many time when they get hot they brake down then cool down and start all over again. them sucker are made in china and they are getting real bad for this. That's why I said test it first.
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 07:39 PM   #8

I don't remember how long our bedroom AC ran, but it was not long. The reason is that the remote temperature sensor was being cooled down too fast from the discharge of the AC. I removed the plastic cover and stuffed foam rubber in there to shield the sensor from the cold air. It helped a bunch. The sensor on my 2012 CC looks like half a walnut shell. It is black with slits in it.

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner