Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2018, 09:08 AM   #1

Air conditioner issue

We have a 2017 Salem Hemisphere Lite 5th wheel with two AC's. The bedroom one works fine, but the main AC quit working at the end of last year. We've pulled the ceiling panel and everything looks okay. When we turn it on the fan comes on, but the air never cools. We have tried auto, low and high and it will not work on any of the settings. Any ideas?
RKGranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:22 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKGranger View Post
We have a 2017 Salem Hemisphere Lite 5th wheel with two AC's. The bedroom one works fine, but the main AC quit working at the end of last year. We've pulled the ceiling panel and everything looks okay. When we turn it on the fan comes on, but the air never cools. We have tried auto, low and high and it will not work on any of the settings. Any ideas?
It's either a thermostat or an issue with the A/C. Pull the cover and see if you are getting voltage to the wire that powers the compressor / A/C. If so it is a wiring issue with the control wire for the A/C. You know you are getting voltage to the A/C if the fan comes on. Probably an issue with the A/C.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:26 PM   #3
RiderBloke

I would take it to the dealer quick. It may still be within warranty. If it’s running but not getting cold then its likely the freon has leaked out. Mine did in my 26rr but the AC unit had a longer warranty than the trailer itself and they replaced it. Non working ACs are a bit common and they cannot be refilled with gas.
Habitat Care-a-Vanner
RiderBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 01:44 PM   #4

Do you know how long the warranties are? We got ours in April 2016 even though it's a 2017.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:46 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Do you know how long the warranties are? We got ours in April 2016 even though it's a 2017.
The FR warranty has expired.
The Dometic warranty may still be good. Did you send in the Dometic warranty card, from your packet of materials.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:08 PM   #6
RiderBloke

AC

Quote:
Call your dealer. If they’re any good they will help you with this as mine did. Bikenden is right it may depend on whether you registered the unit but talk to the dealer.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:56 PM   #7

thanks guys! I'm pretty sure I sent it in.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:27 PM   #8

My FR3 30DS is in for it's 3rd A/C. It's under warranty but it's a major PIA. I live in Oregon and it gets used maybe once a year, for a day or two and that's it...
Dometic must have something wrong with their units.

Not a good thing
Days Camped 74
twojump36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:55 PM   #9
RiderBloke

What I thought I found out was that they leak their freon and generally out the very tube they used to fill it in the first place.
It’s an unsatisfactory situation that of all the AC units, RV units are unfixable, and not refillable. There is a way to put a refill port on the unit but I haven’t read any reports of those who may have done this.
When mine was replaced I took out the extra long insurance on the AC unit because of the failure rate.
Habitat Care-a-Vanner
Old 06-18-2018, 05:47 PM   #10

Fact: Dometic did have an issue with their 15,000 BTU A/C units back in the late 2015-2016 time frame. Dometic has admitted that they had the problem and issued a letter to that effect. The problem was that the units were made in China and shipped to the U.S. Not news to most of us is it? One of the coils of the 15K units did not get dipped into a solution which removes the flux used to solder the copper tubes together. I have experience with soldering copper and yes there is a need to remove any residual flux to prevent the acidic nature of the flux from eating into the copper tubing. There may be some of these units still out there. I have a '15 FR Coachmen Freedom Express, purchased new in January '15. I am now on my fourth Dometic 15K unit placed under warranty. Three (3) of these were placed after the dealer/factory warranty had expired. Fact: There has been legal action taken against Dometic for not honoring Dometic's two (2) year warranty on their A/C units. In some cases Dometic had claimed that the warranty on their A/C units ended with some of the RV industries two (2) year warranties. Some have complained that their dealer would not honor the Dometic warranty on a replacement unit stating that the replacement unit was covered under the original date of purchase warranty. NOT SO. My first unit went out at twenty-two (22) months of the dealer/factory warranty. The dealer did replace that one with no questions asked. The second unit lasted four (4) months and the dealer stated that the Dometic warranty had run out at the twenty-four (24) month from date of purchase, NOT TRUE. Dometic has since honored their factory two (2) year warranty for their A/C units regardless of the dealer/RV warranty. I did have to bypass the selling dealer and a local Dometic authorized service tech twice to get my unit(s) replaced. Dometic was really nice responding to my request to honor their two (2) year warranty as long as I supplied certain information they requested, read the following. A couple of things one can do to check their A/C unit to see IF it is cooling properly: 1) With the A/C unit running, the t'stat set at a low temp for your area, a clean filter, and the A/C fan set on "AUTO", check the air going INTO the A/C unit aiming at the little slit the air goes into and write down the temp of the air. 2) IF you have ducted air open the grill in the air distribution box (ADB) so air does not go into the duct. Measure the air coming OUT OF the ADB and write down the temp of the air. 3) You should have at least a 17*--20* difference between the air going in and the air coming out which should be colder. IF NOT you probably do have a problem. 4) Another thing to check, and this one is not for everyone to do--Remove the ADB, find the wires for the 120vAC going to the A/C unit. Using an amp probe measure the ampere reading of the black supplying the electricity that attaches to the black wire of the A/C unit (now my memory is a problem) you should have 14-16 amps with the unit running. Anything lower and the compressor is not doing it's job probably because the unit is low on freon. Anything higher than 14-16 amps and the compressor is in a strain from a number of causes. On the roof: With the cover removed and the unit running there is a blue wire going to/coming from the compressor that Dometic wanted an amp reading on this wire, I forget the amps that Dometic was looking for. There are numerous articles on the web as to instructions to check a Dometic A/C unit. Those are the instructions that Dometic sent to me for checking the 15K units. As far as putting what is known as a "tap" on one of the copper lines of the A/C unit it is highly discouraged. I have had some A/C training, I know others who are experts at residential/commercial A/C units and some who know all about auto units. ALL say DO NOT put a tap on an A/C unit as they are known to leak after about 24-36 months.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:58 PM   #11

Is there a replacement model that fits the opening from another manufacturer that will work?...
I've been considering adding a 2nd air in the rear of the coach in the bedroom... might as well get two from a different manufacturer the next time this happens.

BTW... I've had my motorhome at the dealer's shop for a week and a half... they haven't replaced the unit because they are waiting for an RMA authorization from Dometic... I called their customer service line and had one in less than 20 minutes... seems to me they have pretty good customer service... I can't say that really about my dealer's service dept...
Days Camped 74
twojump36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
ALL say DO NOT put a tap on an A/C unit as they are known to leak after about 24-36 months.
Neighbor put a tap on my 15K unit and filled it 2 years ago Just had to have him add some more Freon this past week, dropping the air output temp from 64F to 51F. Still not as cold as my 13.5K unit I installed in my front bedroom which will drop 44-45F air temp any given day. So you are correct by saying they will prob leak out after 24-36 months, but the unit was undercharged from the beginning.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:01 PM   #13
Enjoying Life

You do not have to register something to have warranty coverage. The Magnusen-Moss warranty act voided the requirement to send in registration cards. All that is required is proof of purchase. If you have the build sheet on your unit listing the serial number of the A/C and your purchase info; then your warranty started on that date and your set.

But with the Dometic problems that have been documented then it is more than likely going to be covered anyway.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachTexas View Post
You do not have to register something to have warranty coverage. The Magnusen-Moss warranty act voided the requirement to send in registration cards. All that is required is proof of purchase. If you have the build sheet on your unit listing the serial number of the A/C and your purchase info; then your warranty started on that date and your set.

But with the Dometic problems that have been documented then it is more than likely going to be covered anyway.
True, but imagine my surprise when 3 of my appliances had a different serial number on the build sheet than what was actually installed. I wrote in the correct numbers and hope I'll never need to argue the point.

Tags
air conditioner