Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2019, 03:16 PM   #1
Trailer Park Supervisor

Alexa in your RV? Trying to pair with Furrion head unit.

So I just bought another Ring camera for the house, and it came bundled with an Echo Dot. I already have a bunch of Echos throughout our house and find them very useful. So I relegated the new one to keep in the RV, thinking it would be cool to stream music from it like I do at home.

The new Echo will not pair with the Furrion DV7200 using Bluetooth. I unpaired the stereo from my iPhone, and everytime I use the Alexa app to try to pair the new Echo, it says pairing failed. Anybody else every try to pair one of these to a FURRION head unit?
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:29 AM   #2
Deleted Posts Member

Found this on Google

Pair Your Mobile Device with Echo Dot. Your Echo Dot is Bluetooth-enabled so you can stream audio from a mobile device (such as your phone or tablet). Check that your device supports a Bluetooth profile that Echo Dot recognizes. ... Echo Dot can only connect to one Bluetooth device at a given time.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:32 AM   #3

I wish I could offer some helpful advice but I go to my rig to get away from such things. good luck with pairing.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:42 AM   #4
Trailer Park Supervisor

Thanks Krusty. Normally they can stream music TO a device like a bluetooth speaker, but it won't connect to the RV's Furrion head unit.

SeaDog, me too, I don't go RV'ing to watch TV or stare at a cell phone, but music is a big part of my life and if this worked right, it would be fun to use. If you've never had one before, you just say "Alexa, play (whatever music it is you like)", and it starts playing, like your own juke box genie!
Old 10-28-2019, 09:47 AM   #5

Not sure of your set up NJ, but on my Cherokee, I just Bluetooth my phone to my Furrion stereo and play thru my outdoor speakers on the trailer. I have Google Play Music.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:51 AM   #6
Trailer Park Supervisor

Wolf, I can do that just fine when I pair my phone to the Furrion, but not the Alexa. I was hoping to use Alexa and leave the phone in the trailer. I don't want to be tempted to mess with the phone while I'm camping, I have a general rule when camping, no phones! Disconnect! With Alexa, I can still stream music without being bothered by the phone or text messages.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:54 AM   #7
Deleted Posts Member

It just dawned on me, Alexa would need Wi-Fi in order to even play the music
Old 10-28-2019, 09:58 AM   #8
Part-Time Campground Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
It just dawned on me, Alexa would need Wi-Fi in order to even play the music
Hotspot the phone.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1680
cboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 01:25 PM   #9

Alexa and Phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Wolf, I can do that just fine when I pair my phone to the Furrion, but not the Alexa. I was hoping to use Alexa and leave the phone in the trailer. I don't want to be tempted to mess with the phone while I'm camping, I have a general rule when camping, no phones! Disconnect! With Alexa, I can still stream music without being bothered by the phone or text messages.
I'm not sure I can add anything to the blue tooth discussion, other than I had more success by using a wired connection to the head unit than bluetooth for anything other than the phone. Look at something like this.

https://smile.amazon.com/DuKabel-Los...2287065&sr=8-6

As far as not being bothered by the phone, on an iphone I have the option of do not disturb. That silences all notifications and calls. I would assume that an android would have a similar setting.

2013 Georgetown XL 377TS
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Craiginok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 02:24 PM   #10

Try the new “Echo Auto” from Amazon. It does exactly what you’re trying to do.

I use mine to connect the echo to the internet via Bluetooth and the Alexa app on my phone. Now I can stream SiriusXM in all my vehicles with hands free control and a single SiriusXM plan.
ckabrahamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 02:26 PM   #11
Broken Toe

Waiting patiently for someone to chime in on how the FBI, ATF, DEA, CIA, KGB, NASA, and a whole assorted jumble of acronyms will invade your privacy and listen in on every word you say.

Personally, I love my Echo (Alexa). Love it for playing music when I am cleaning house. Totally love the shopping list feature... It's so easy just to say "Alexa, put butter on the list" when you are looking into the fridge. We have used her many, many times to settle arguments (I.e. Is so-and-so dead, or what year did a movie come out). One of these days, I will start playing with the home automation stuff. Telling her to turn on or off lights and such could be real handy.

But my FAVORITE part is; like an old, grey wizard with a pointy hat straight out of the movies, if I say the proper incantation, a fresh, hot pizza will magically arrive at my door! Is this a great time to be alive or what?

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 02:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Waiting patiently for someone to chime in on how the FBI, ATF, DEA, CIA, KGB, NASA, and a whole assorted jumble of acronyms will invade your privacy and listen in on every word you say.

Personally, I love my Echo (Alexa). Love it for playing music when I am cleaning house. Totally love the shopping list feature... It's so easy just to say "Alexa, put butter on the list" when you are looking into the fridge. We have used her many, many times to settle arguments (I.e. Is so-and-so dead, or what year did a movie come out). One of these days, I will start playing with the home automation stuff. Telling her to turn on or off lights and such could be real handy.

But my FAVORITE part is; like an old, grey wizard with a pointy hat straight out of the movies, if I say the proper incantation, a fresh, hot pizza will magically arrive at my door! Is this a great time to be alive or what?

Tim
I’m there with you. I don’t do bad things so I’m not worried about anyone listening.
I have 15 light switches, 2 ceiling fans and the whole house fan all accessible through Alexa via a Samsung hub. Very convenient. My wife balked at it all at first but now she is the primary user. If anybody makes a comment about being lazy I just advise them that it’s hypocritical since very few these days don’t have a microwave or car or phone,etc .... all convenience items.
simiHal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 03:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Out of curiosity, do you want to stream Amazon Music to your outside speakers via the Furrion with the Echo Dot outside with you?
simiHal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 04:52 PM   #14
Trailer Park Supervisor

Craig, a mini-jack auxiliary cord works fine for plugging in while in the trailer, but my goal was to have the echo dot outside, plugged into the outside outlet so I can just sit by the fire and make song requests, like simiHal hs mentioned, paired to the head unit via BT.

I replaced the crappy outdoor speaker with a real nice sound panel. And no, I do not turn it up loud enough to be heard by my neighboring sites unless nobody else is around.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Craig, a mini-jack auxiliary cord works fine for plugging in while in the trailer, but my goal was to have the echo dot outside, plugged into the outside outlet so I can just sit by the fire and make song requests, like simiHal hs mentioned, paired to the head unit via BT.

I replaced the crappy outdoor speaker with a real nice sound panel. And no, I do not turn it up loud enough to be heard by my neighboring sites unless nobody else is around.
As someone already asked, how are you connecting your dot to WiFi? Not going to work unless you do that. Using your phone as a hotspot?
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 05:19 PM   #16
Trailer Park Supervisor

I had planned on using campground Wifi when available.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:22 PM   #17

Quote:
I had planned on using campground Wifi when available.
That would work unless the WiFi at the campground has a sign up page. I don't think it would work with that.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 05:25 PM   #18
Trailer Park Supervisor

Problem solved! Furrion tech support got back to my email. Apparently, they are a behind the tech curve. "Good afternoon, Unfortunately our DV7200 is not compatible with the Echo."

Oh well. I can still use it in the trailer with the mini jack cord to connect. Maybe I can prop it in the open window and it will still hear me from outside. Feasibility tests will be in order!
Old 10-28-2019, 05:30 PM   #19
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
That would work unless the WiFi at the campground has a sign up page. I don't think it would work with that.
Perhaps the most useful thing about my trailer's WiFi Ranger is that I use the Ranger to sign- in to password protected wifi, using my cell phone or macbook. Then any wifi stuff I want to use I run through the wifi ranger. This way, I just use one sign-in (the Ranger), and everything else automatically connects to the Ranger providing I have used the device with the Ranger before.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:38 PM   #20

Out door speakers

Quote:

Thank you for being considerate; we need more folks like you. Speakers volume for your site only is ok by me. The folks who think everyone enjoys Scottish
bagpipe concerts or other prrsonal choices are the problem. ����
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote