Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2021, 04:09 PM   #1

AM /FM deck or Antenna problem

i am looking for ideas have a Sanibel fifth wheel a am/fm radio in the forward cargo area but it is has this cheap dipole type short wire Antenna that will rarely pick up any radio stations there is not a factory am/fm antenna on the roof other that the crank up tv type .
I know there is a signal in the area because my vehicle works perfect
I assume poor performance because the rv has a cheap jenson head unit and the unit receiving power is weak and a limited ant.
Any idea other than installing a rooftop antenna on rv . i have tried different antennas but no real improvement. Can i use the tv antenna wiring and tap into it and or place a fm antenna on existing mast. I have thought of new head unit but will have to modify steel plate for it to fit in. sorry for dumb question i was just wondering if this is a common radio issue
Thank you
Yxdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:56 PM   #2

Mine came the same way & what was worse, it was left coiled and dropped behind the radio partition. Didn't pick up anything! When I found the coiled up antenna, I unrolled it a ran the 2 wires in different directions (90 degrees) along the aluminum floor supports' I just tucked them in with the existing wire looms. Not as good a a stick antenna but, it does pick up close stations.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna