Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2017, 09:23 AM   #1

Another A/C rant

TT: 2015 Coachmen Freedom Express 310BHDS with one (1) Dometic 15K ducted A/C unit. This is a 31 footer with two slides and I've calculated the square footage to be cooled/heated to be approximately 300 square feet. This TT is now on it's third Dometic A/C unit which was put in place August '16. A couple of trips out since then and the cooling of this unit has been questionable for sure. This past weekend we went to Jellystone Park/RV at Madison, FL. and it was a nightmare. The unit was parked under two huge oak trees, with the front facing East. After about 9 A.M. the unit was completely in the shade. We arrived Friday about 11 A.M, and by 2 P.M. the outside temp was 89* and the inside of the TT was at 81* with the A/C running wide open and the grill on the unit was open dumping air straight into the living area. The differential temp was at 18*. Saturday the outside temp reached 92* and by 1 P.M. the inside of the TT was at 81* with the differential temp at 18* again. Sunday was pretty much the same. When I first had A/C problems I called and talked to a Dometic A/C expert and he told me that if I was getting between 17* to 20* differential then that is all a Dometic A/C will do. I'm now at the point that I believe that Forest River did a poor job of calculating the size of the A/C unit and there should have been two units on this TT. I am at the point I am considering adding a 13,5K non-ducted unit to this unit. The only vent in the roof that I can use will be the vent over the front bedroom. There is an entertainment center in the middle of the TT with the sliding doors on each side and I'm thinking I will have to add some type of fan to move the cooled air from the bedroom out into the living area. So--I'm open to opinions and advice please.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:18 AM   #2

I have the same issues as you do with my Coachman 320bhds, 15K AC not keeping up.
I do not believe the R value is in these units like I was originally told, R9 walls, R11 floor and ceiling. I am contemplating upgrading to a new 15K Blizzard NXT or a 15K Coleman Mach 15. I do not have a vent in the front bedroom to install a 13.5 on this unit. I had upgraded to the 15K unit when I ordered, cant imagine how the 13.5K would work. Now there is an option to have both on the new model of mine.
My neighbor purchased a new monster Jayco 5th wheel last year with a Coleman 15K and 13.5K units on top. He was only able to run the 15K due to a 30 amp hook up and his camper was nice and cold compared to mine.
If you do add another 13.5 in the front bedroom, I have seen some run a cord down the front corner inside cabinet and into the front storage compartment. You can just hook this cord up to a 20 amp accy beside your 30 amp hook up.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:27 AM   #3

Current options for your 310;
ADDITIONAL OPTIONS

• 15,000 BTU A/C
  • 50 Amp Service with Second A/C Prep
  • Push-button Power Stabilizer Jacks (25’ and above)
  • Coleman Slide-Out High Output Grill (Select models)
  • Frameless Windows
Old 06-01-2017, 09:11 AM   #4

"Super8": You have hit the nail on the head IMO. At one time I took the bath vent fan out to add a separate switch for the fan. At that time I stuck my head up into the cavity for the fan housing just to look around. I was absolutely shocked to see that there was a layer, more like a blanket, of insulation that was only 3/4" at best. I then took the vent out from the front bedroom and found the same insulation there. This is all that is between me and the 90*+ temps we have almost all summer down here in S. Ga. I have no idea of what pathetic insulation could be in the exterior walls. Your plan of installation is right on with what I have been looking at. It's now not "IF" but "WHEN" will I install the second A/C unit. I'm going to run the wiring for the second unit along the ceiling towards the cabinets using flat plastic wiring raceway in the area one would see the ceiling, then into the cabinets coming out in the front storage area. I plan to then run the wiring inside of the under belly covering, bringing it to a point just below the main wiring of the TT. I will then install a male receptacle that will be flush with the exterior wall. A dedicated 12/3 cord will then make the connection from the male wall plug to the 120 volt receptacle at the campground power box. I'm also going to install a small electrical box inside the front storage area in which I will place a fuse for the "HOT" wire. And, like you, I have a friend who bought a new '15 Jayco 31' TT with three slides and this unit has one Coleman 15K unit on it. We've been camping together side-by-side in low 90* heat and his unit stays very comfortable while my unit will experience high 80* temps inside with the Dometic unit running constantly. I even looked into using the "blow in" type fiberglass insulation and add insulation to my unit. There is hardly any access to blow the insulation in. I've got two more trips planned now, a three day trip June 16-18 in a park that I know has lots of shade, then a trip June 30-July 04 to a State Park I have never seen and with my luck there will not be a shady spot for miles and the temps will get to the high 90's. I'm currently pricing the Coleman 15K units now.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:14 AM   #5

IMO that is a pretty big TT for one a/c in the south. I would assume you will struggle in the day-time with one. My old unit was a 36-37' OAL 5th wheel and it struggled with one 15K unit. Had I used it a lot... I would have done something different. I swore to Jesus there would ALWAYS be 2 a/c units on any future RV and I did. The only problem with that is having 50 amp service and most places I camp don't have 50 amp...hmmm.

That being said... 18-22 deg. difference is the normal for any a/c system in normal temperature ranges. If it is 90+ in the RV... you ain't gonna get it. If it's 72 in there...you prolly aren't gonna get it. I would prolly do the normal things. Seal up the crappy duct job, seal and reflexit any areas you see/wish.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:40 AM   #6

If you are in the south then a second AC in the bedroom is what is called for. The stand alone 13,500 BTU unit can be loud and it is on or off only. Even on low it is nosy. Also as noted above you will not get better then the 20 degree difference. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:14 PM   #7

"Iwannacamp", and "whj77372" Thanks. When looking at this unit on the lot I questioned the sales person as to the unit having one A/C. I know, he is in it to sale and will tell you what you want to hear. My other TT was a 29 footer with one slide, a 15K unit and at times in the South it was hard to cool. At 9:00 today I went out and set the T'stat to 70*, the inside temp was 79*, with the outside temp being 78*. I leave the T'stat set to 80* when the unit is parked in my back yard anyway. At 11:15 the inside of the unit is at 74*. It's cloudy today so there probably won't be any hard sun. About a half hour ago the inside temp was 71* with the outside temp at 84*. So, it's working good in my yard under two shade trees and overcast weather. One other option I am looking at is a duct-less unit, split system, that would normally be placed in a house or small business. I've seen a couple of video's where people did that and it seems to work much better than these rooftop unit's on RV's. Yep, I know it cost more money, but catch me when we're camping in 90*+ weather and my 15K unit is not cooling the camper as I think it should and I will probably pay you on the spot to put the split system in.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
"Iwannacamp", and "whj77372" Thanks. When looking at this unit on the lot I questioned the sales person as to the unit having one A/C. I know, he is in it to sale and will tell you what you want to hear. My other TT was a 29 footer with one slide, a 15K unit and at times in the South it was hard to cool. At 9:00 today I went out and set the T'stat to 70*, the inside temp was 79*, with the outside temp being 78*. I leave the T'stat set to 80* when the unit is parked in my back yard anyway. At 11:15 the inside of the unit is at 74*. It's cloudy today so there probably won't be any hard sun. About a half hour ago the inside temp was 71* with the outside temp at 84*. So, it's working good in my yard under two shade trees and overcast weather. One other option I am looking at is a duct-less unit, split system, that would normally be placed in a house or small business. I've seen a couple of video's where people did that and it seems to work much better than these rooftop unit's on RV's. Yep, I know it cost more money, but catch me when we're camping in 90*+ weather and my 15K unit is not cooling the camper as I think it should and I will probably pay you on the spot to put the split system in.
I think that is a good idea.. I would have prolly done that also before the storm took my old unit to the RV campground in the sky... Easy enough to do and I think actually a cheaper version than adding the roof a/c. One can also run a separate power supply to the pole and not go through the RV system. Pluses all the way!
Old 06-04-2017, 06:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
15K simply could not keep up on direct sun today @88F. I have 20F difference in and out on my AC, so it is working. A person can feel the heat radiate off the interior of the camper. What size of a split system are you looking at? I was hoping to hide the outside compressor under the skirting but a 9000K unit is roughly 22"HX30"LX12"D. I found some smaller 5-7.5K units but cannot find the diameter of the outside unit and are usually 220V.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:14 PM   #10

Another A/C rant

I think I didn't read close enough earlier. ...
I think a portable a/c would be an easier option. You don't need anything but a window adapter for the condenser air and a way to get rid of the condensation. IMO
Old 06-04-2017, 07:22 PM   #11

This type situation could be at play.

ceiling AC vents

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...d.php?t=135238
Old 06-04-2017, 07:43 PM   #12

I must be primitive. No ac in the house, no ac in the camper either.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote