Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2015, 05:19 PM   #1

Another Dish Hopper question

I searched the forums but didn't find an answer. Hope I'm not repeating an old subject.

I use the Dish Hopper and three Joeys in my home (Super Joey, Wireless Joey, and regular Joey). I have the Travler dish on the motorhome. I used to use a Vip922DVR in the MH and it worked great but I upgraded the home systems to Hopper.

When I hook the Hopper up it will only use two of the three tuners. The check switch takes forever and the the third tuner always fails. I tried using the wireless Joey (and access point) which connects ok but is unable to tune to anything.

The system works (kinda) but get errors when changing channels and not able to record and watch even one other channel.

Anyone have any ideas? I have seen comments about solo node but that doesn't seem to be my problem since I am not using a wired Joey.

Thanks for any help.
kenlea98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:03 PM   #2

nobody home?

Hello, anybody home
Old 02-23-2015, 12:20 AM   #3

Is the joey seeing the hopper, it should show up on the list. I have 2 hoppers and 4 joeys and they can all see everything on the network. All hardwired but to me it sounds like the joey is not correctly set up on your network.

Wildwood 241QBXL
dacheedah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:52 AM   #4

Hi Kenlea98 If I understand the situation correctly you moved the hopper from the home to the motor home. Did you upgrade the dish on the roof to be compatible with the hopper? I would call the dish teck department to see if the hopper is compatible with the dish on the roof. (1 800 333 3474)
Hope this helps Tim.
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:56 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Dish hopper receiver will not work with auto searching dish.

Been there done that.

You need to add a 211k or 211z to your package.

I've called dish several times trying to work out the issues using the hopper receiver, and Although I couldn't get it to work "same symptoms" and them telling me it wouldn't work I'm sure there's a way but no one is willing to give up the answer. "If there is one"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:00 PM   #6

Another Dish Hopper question

Ditto. Went the route to try and use our existing in-home hopper receiver and/or a joey in the RV so we could watch our DVR recordings. While the Hopper could be used in the RV, it isnt compatible with most portable satellites receivers, and you end up having to bring a full dish receiver/tripod to make it work. It also isn't very travel friendly... Good chance of damaging the HD due to the vibration.

211k/z receiver, a good wifi connection, and either the remote dish app or a subscription to netflix/hulu is the way to go
mattnlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:48 PM   #7

I was able to get an answer from Winegard today. It works but I need two lines coming in from the Traveler dish (currently only one has been run into the coach) and a Solo Node has to be installed. The Solo Node (newer version of the switch they use to use) then connects to the Hopper and any wired Joey. Thanks for the help/suggestions. Have a great day.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:59 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlea98 View Post
I was able to get an answer from Winegard today. It works but I need two lines coming in from the Traveler dish (currently only one has been run into the coach) and a Solo Node has to be installed. The Solo Node (newer version of the switch they use to use) then connects to the Hopper and any wired Joey. Thanks for the help/suggestions. Have a great day.
Cost?

TURBS
Old 02-23-2015, 05:11 PM   #9

The Solo Node is $17.50 on Amazon. Then getting the second line into the coach. Some/most with the Traveler Dish probably already have that but it may be run to a different location.

She told me the Solo Node with one Hopper and no Joey (or a wireless Joey) will give you three tuners. The Solo Node with one Hopper and a Super Joey (wired) will give you the full capability like at home.

The main problem remaining is getting locals. Dish will switch upon request (did it on our last trip) but it is not real reliable. Took four calls one day and then three calls to get them back to our local market when we got back home.

Seems like a lot of trouble for the NFL, NASCAR and the wife's movies but I guess it's all part of roughing it
Old 02-23-2015, 05:13 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Think I'll stick with my receiver. [emoji1]

TURBS
Old 02-23-2015, 05:15 PM   #11

Yea I understand Turbs. I have a 211z that I use for short trips. But when we go for two or three months I like have the additional capability. I have an external drive on the 211 so I can record but we have too many times we want to watch different programming. Everyone has different needs/wants...
Old 02-24-2015, 06:17 PM   #12

With wifi and a slingbox u can watch dish anywhere. The slingbox is only like $50 and no additional monthly fee. U can watch or record anything u c at home

Wildwood 241QBXL
dacheedah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:52 PM   #13

sling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacheedah View Post
With wifi and a slingbox u can watch dish anywhere. The slingbox is only like $50 and no additional monthly fee. U can watch or record anything u c at home
You are correct and that is a good point. However, many of the places we spend extended time do not have good internet access (or any access at all). I have a 40gb plan on my phone and use it but sometimes that doesn't even get a signal we can stream from.