Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2019, 09:56 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
On home and auto units there will be a low pressure switch that will shut the compressor off if the refrigerant is too low. I would expect there to be the same thing on RV units since the compressor is lubricated by oil in the refrigerant itself.

You originally wrote that the compressor was not running and not cooling but it is now? Is that correct? Just trying to sort this out in my mind.

Ray

Ok. This is presented with kindness and respect as it aggravates me if someone “corrects” me...especially if they don’t know what the h they are talking about.

Sorry but most home units IE split systems do not have low or high pressure switches. Cars have cycling switches.... the refrigerant pressure control is just a byproduct of the type of system it is. Meaning it doesn’t allow function if pressure below minimum pressure switch closing pressure. Newer autos have a computer processor that turns the compressor off I’f it cycles too much, but there are many types of systems out there.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 05:56 PM   #22
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Ok. This is presented with kindness and respect as it aggravates me if someone “corrects” me...especially if they don’t know what the h they are talking about.
Your use of "kindness and respect" seems at odds with "it aggravates me if someone corrects me" and "especially if they don't know what the h they are talking about.".

I was not "correcting" anybody, I was asking for clarification from the original poster based on my experiences. And no, I detected no "kindness" or "respect".

If I have a significant problem with something someone else wrote, I PM them.

I'm dropping off this thread.

Ray
Old 10-25-2019, 06:45 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post

Sorry but most home units IE split systems do not have low or high pressure switches. Cars have cycling switches.... the refrigerant pressure control is just a byproduct of the type of system it is. Meaning it doesn’t allow function if pressure below minimum pressure switch closing pressure. Newer autos have a computer processor that turns the compressor off I’f it cycles too much, but there are many types of systems out there.
With as much time as you have on the forum and the number of posts your post really surprised me. Myself I learned a long time ago not to take posts by someone personally and just let it roll off, but thats just me
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:49 PM   #24

Simply saying as nicely as I could that HVAC systems do not normally have low pressure switches and trying to say it kindly.

Sorry to lead any other direction.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:45 PM   #25

Get HVAC repair on refrigerant lines

I talked to a RV repair guy several years back that he had a local HVAC repair guy that he used that would actually repair these units and said that most of the failures are from refrigerant leaking out from bad soldered joints. He would come and work on them in place at his shop. The HVAC guy would repair the solder joints and install a charging valve and recharge them and they worked better than new. He also said that motor starting capacitors are easy to replace too. So you might look at finding a HVAC person to try and repair before wasting your time with installing another unit or wasting your time with Dometic. My 37ft 2015 Nitro XLR Toy Hauler is on it's second main unit that I had replaced roughly in 2016 but has worked okay since having it replace under warranty. I had a second non-ducted unit installed in the front bedroom that already had the mount and wiring from the factory the same year I replaced the other one. It has worked fine also luckily!
JColeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:12 PM   #26

The pic is a classic example of lost charge. You can see the capillary tube that feeds the coil where the icing starts.
I would try adding some leak seal and recharging as the result would be stronger than the original.
Many years of fixing small cooling systems.
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:06 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JColeman View Post
I talked to a RV repair guy several years back that he had a local HVAC repair guy that he used that would actually repair these units and said that most of the failures are from refrigerant leaking out from bad soldered joints. He would come and work on them in place at his shop. The HVAC guy would repair the solder joints and install a charging valve and recharge them and they worked better than new. He also said that motor starting capacitors are easy to replace too. So you might look at finding a HVAC person to try and repair before wasting your time with installing another unit or wasting your time with Dometic. My 37ft 2015 Nitro XLR Toy Hauler is on it's second main unit that I had replaced roughly in 2016 but has worked okay since having it replace under warranty. I had a second non-ducted unit installed in the front bedroom that already had the mount and wiring from the factory the same year I replaced the other one. It has worked fine also luckily!
I have also heard of a/c repair folks that can install a port in the refrigerant line to charge the system that the manufacturer says is not serviceable. Check around.
retire057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 12:09 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire057 View Post
I have also heard of a/c repair folks that can install a port in the refrigerant line to charge the system that the manufacturer says is not serviceable. Check around.
There are kits that include a clamp-on charging port but if you can have a pro solder on a port it will make a better seal
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 06:24 AM   #29

I also have now changed out a Dometic 15k for the third time since buying my 2018 FR Artic Wolf 5er. I'm very confident that the new GE units will finally put an end to all the AC problems. Please read this article & good luck. https://rv-pro.com/news/general-elec...try-rv-segment
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GE AC.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	348.8 KB
ID:	218463  
RECONUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 06:49 AM   #30
Citrus County, Fl.

I read this article back in March when the article came out introducing them to the market but have not seen any manufacturer who has started using them. According to the article, they should be introduced "by the 3rd quarter of 2019" so hopefully we will start to see some.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 06:54 AM   #31
Trailer Park Supervisor

Wondering if my brand new failed Coleman Mach 8 (since replaced under warranty) is made in the same plant as the Dometics. A lot of appliances are made in the same factories but under different names, you'd be surprised.

Not holding my breath GE would be much better, that company is in big trouble.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:19 AM   #32
RECAT

My 1st Dometic 1500 died at 2 years and 2 months and they would do nothing. The old versions had a 3 year warranty. I replaced it with the same unit so as not to have to rewire the camper. There extended warranty is questionable at best. The one the died ran like a champ compressor ran great, motor ran great but no freon. closed circuit built and not refillable. I know there are some after market so called fixes but there is no way to monitor the fill.
2014 COLUMBUS 320RS
WAR EAGLE !!
REBCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:04 AM   #33

Domectic A/C

We are on our 5th unit in 7 years. All replaced either under extended warranty or now Dometic warranty. The last unit did not last 4 months. First 2 were Brisk Air and the last three were Blizzard, so Dometics problems are not just for one kind of unit. The dealer gave us one Brisk Air unit and we took it to a HVAC person thinking he could put a port in and add Freon, his exactly words were this is the worst piece of sorry equipment I have ever looked at. Not just a Freon leak but, capacitor, condenser and completely non repairable. I just pray that since we no longer have extended warranty that is it goes out it does it in the 2 year warranty time frame. As long as warranty covers the unit and labor we will not change, but once we ever have to pay ourselves you can bet it won't be a Dometic. It seems everything that we have to repair or replace on our Cedar Creek is made in China and impossible to replace, usually have to do a work around to another brand of parts.
flattyattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 02:12 PM   #34

2020 Cedar Creek Cottage. six months old. 15K ac/heat pump roof mount has died and requires a new unit under warranty. What is going on with this company?
beanerwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 12:02 PM   #35

Thurman, what did you end up doing? I see Dometic has a new model on the horizon called the Evolution.
https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/pro...ution-_-224126
Old 06-09-2020, 12:09 PM   #36

Convert to a Coleman, I will never buy another camper with Dometic units.
Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 01:15 PM   #37
Trailer Park Supervisor

My 2019 Rockwood came with a Coleman. It was dead on arrival. Didn't get a day out of it before needing replacement. Luckily warranty replacement.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 02:11 PM   #38

Wait for this unit

I would hold off on any new RV AC unit until this comes online....More money but is supposed to be bulletproof. The new Cool Series RVAC Rooftop unit is designed for long lasting performance and cooling power. It features a sealed fan motor to repel dirt and debris, corrosion resistant coatings, extensive vibration control, and a high-performance motor engineered for quiet opera on. The units are aerodynamically designed to reduce drag and complement the overall RV exterior. They are available in two colors, snow white and ice black- of durable, automotive-grade, UV-resistant polymer.https://www.geappliances.com/applian...-15k-ARC15AACB
RECONUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:38 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECONUSMC View Post
I would hold off on any new RV AC unit until this comes online....More money but is supposed to be bulletproof. The new Cool Series RVAC Rooftop unit is designed for long lasting performance and cooling power. It features a sealed fan motor to repel dirt and debris, corrosion resistant coatings, extensive vibration control, and a high-performance motor engineered for quiet opera on. The units are aerodynamically designed to reduce drag and complement the overall RV exterior. They are available in two colors, snow white and ice black- of durable, automotive-grade, UV-resistant polymer.https://www.geappliances.com/applian...-15k-ARC15AACB
Looks like already 1 bad review. I am also hesitant to buy GE products, their quality has gone down.
2018 25 2019 25
2020 24 2021 28 2022 302023 30
Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:56 AM   #40

@ Super8 and others: Through a friend of mine who has an RV shop I called a number and actually talked to someone who seemed to give a hoot. Being as I have had bad luck with Dometic 15K units that were evidently made during the time frame that they had bad units he agreed that Dometic would send a replacement unit to the RV shop, and not to me, for free. But--they would not warranty it nor pay for installing it. Under the circumstances with the problems I have had with Dometic I accepted this arrangement. The unit came in two (2) days later, I took the unit over to the shop the next day and within an hour easily we had the new unit exchanged, running and blowing cold air. I considered changing over to a Coleman unit but my RV repair friend told me that I would need two (2) additional wires for the Coleman t'stat which would be a PITA to put in. I keep my TT plugged up next to my shop for a number of reasons. 1) I keep the small fridge in the outside kitchen on with bottled water in it. When I am outside it's easy to go get a bottle of cold water from that fridge. And to those who wonder--yes I keep the door to the OK closed all the time, no problems with the fridge. 2) On hot days, I go out and fire up both units on my TT just to exercise them and have been known to take a nap in mid afternoon. That replacement unit is still going strong as is the fourth unit that is the main A/C unit. It will be interesting to see the reports on the new Dometic unit and the newer GE units.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic