Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2020, 07:46 PM   #1
Who Dares, Wins

Anyone use the rv whisper temp monitor?

We were exploring options for a monitor for the temperature in the camper for the cat while we were out and about that we could see from the phone remotely. A Google search gave us this rv whisper option. Seems like a good idea, let's us monitor the temp in the camper, add a monitor in the fridge and keep an eye for power outage (aka fridge issues). Thanks as always.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 09:40 PM   #2
Now a "Top Member"

Can you post the link to the product you found? That could help us help you (and us, maybe).
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 10:04 PM   #3

I had never heard of these systems before, but I am intrigued as we hav enever taken dogs camping because we fear the A/C may go out while we are out for the day and put them in danger. Well that and because our past dogs were a St. Bernard and large German Shepherd who would probably hate being stuck in a camper, but I digress... I have always wondered about such a system.

I googled and found this for the Whisper:
https://rvwhisper.com/

Pretty cool looking system. You can add sensors to monitor temp, humidity, water leaks, propane level, battery level, charging status, and power status. To go with just the temp, it's $156.

The problems I see are twofold. 1) In order to view it, you need wifi access in the RV. After a very brief look at the site, I think that means you are going to need a dedicated source of wifi to always be programmed into the unit, as opposed to hoping to use the campground's wifi. I suppose you could have a router/laptop/phone set in hotspot mode and then connect THAT to your campground's wifi... but that seems like a lot of steps. 2) I rarely stay in campgrounds that have wifi. We tend to mostly do the state park thing and there is never wifi. Sometimes even cell service is spotty.

I really like the idea of this and would also like to hear from somebody who has used it. The only other option I can think of for OP is that there are a number of devices made for the police K9 world which monitor vehicle temperature and can then activate relays to do things such as roll down windows, turn on fans, activate sirens, etc. Some of these have a built in cell phone unit which you can program to call a certain number if the temp goes above a certain level. But these are not cheap and require an annual cell payment.
Old 04-18-2020, 10:20 AM   #4
Who Dares, Wins

It does look interesting. That's why I was hoping to also hear from people who have used this or similar items. Wifi is not an issue, we have Hotspots to use.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 04-18-2020, 10:45 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I'm currently using the Motorola cellular Multisensor. It appears to be 'similar' to the rvwhisper.

No wifi needed but you do have to be in an area that has cell service.

The feature I like most about it is the internal battery back up and therefore the ability to let you know if the power goes out. So... not only can you monitor the temp (and other things)... if the power goes out, you'll get notified immediately and not have to wait until the temperature begins to rise a few degrees. When using for the safety of pets, the earlier the warning of an issue, the better. Also... if the power goes out... so does the wifi (in most cases) so this keeps on working.

Alarm parameters can be set for all the things it monitors.

It has its own cellular transmitter and the service is month to month at $5 and can be canceled any time.

It has worked very well for me since December.

MOTOROLA LTE/3G/4G Cellular-Connected MultiSensor Reports Temperature, Humidity, Water leaks, Acceleration/Earthquakes, Light Level, Power Loss, Model MC4000

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 11:37 AM   #6
Who Dares, Wins

Thank you, something else for us to look into. We will using a jetpack for internet but yes, power failure is also important as well.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 04-18-2020, 11:54 AM   #7
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I'm currently using the Motorola cellular Multisensor. It appears to be 'similar' to the rvwhisper.

The feature I like most about it is the internal battery back up and therefore the ability to let you know if the power goes out. So... not only can you monitor the temp (and other things)... if the power goes out, you'll get notified immediately and not have to wait until the temperature begins to rise a few degrees. When using for the safety of pets, the earlier the warning of an issue, the better. Also... if the power goes out... so does the wifi (in most cases) so this keeps on working.

It has its own cellular transmitter and the service is month to month at $5 and can be canceled any time.

MOTOROLA LTE/3G/4G Cellular-Connected MultiSensor Reports Temperature, Humidity, Water leaks, Acceleration/Earthquakes, Light Level, Power Loss, Model MC4000

Looking at this, it is a standalone unit? No other sensors to connect? I was looking at it on Amazon and not seeing anything on adding a fridge sensor for example

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 04-18-2020, 12:12 PM   #8

We use the DIY system.

We leave one phone (wife's) in the trailer with "Alfred" app running. Point the camera at the appropriate viewing angle. With a thermometer in the view. And we monitor the video from my phone.

"Alfred" does motion detecting and alarm.

As long as the campground has WiFi or Cell service ( two bars works real well, one bar is slow) we are good to go.

Nothing to buy.

I have since come up with a more sophisticated system that gives me Camera Pan and Zoom capabilities. This requires tethering or WiFi Hot Spot built into your trailer phone. Need one WiFi camera.

Have fun.

https://alfred.camera/
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 01:10 PM   #9

MarCELL Cellular monitoring with Water SPuck

Here's another temperature, relative humidity, water, and power remote sensor to add to your list of options. This one uses the Verizon cellular network and includes a battery backup in case power is lost. I bought one a year ago and it's been working fine keeping tabs on an unoccupied vacation home. This summer I hope to use it in my trailer when we have to leave our dog behind.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EK4A8XU/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/url]
drewdomines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 10:04 AM   #10
Citrus County, Fl.

I use the TempStick from Ideal Sciences and have used it for over 3 years now. Very small and operates fine off my JetPack. Cost is $139 and no subscription fee. Its made and monitored in the USA. You can set a max temp and it will alert you and or DW via email or text message. Also alerts if connection is dropped. Comes with an app to allow monitoring at any time. Their customer service is great. I had a little issue setting mine up and not only did they walk me thru it but also helped me set up all the other options while they had me on the phone.

https://tempstick.com/?gclid=CjwKCAj...xoCDYkQAvD_BwE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Temp Stick photo.png
Views:	98
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	227229  
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 03:15 PM   #11

Nimble Pet monitor

I've had the Nimble for a couple of years now & had no problems until now. I just renewed my membership for the cell service for a year, its the cheapest that way, and now the monitor doesn't work. It says its not reporting. I've contacted the company but have not heard back from them yet. I've used it alot even in the winter. Was very good until now!
petrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
We were exploring options for a monitor for the temperature in the camper for the cat while we were out and about that we could see from the phone remotely. A Google search gave us this rv whisper option. Seems like a good idea, let's us monitor the temp in the camper, add a monitor in the fridge and keep an eye for power outage (aka fridge issues). Thanks as always.

I have the RV Whisper, purchased last summer, and it nice to see all my sensor, that it supports, in one place. I purchased a package that came with a Temp sensor, moisture sensor, two door open sensors plus I already had the Mopeka propane tank sensors and the Thornwave labs battery monitor. I can see all of these from the RV Whispers "Dashboard" but in order to remote monitor you must have a WiFi connection since we have a Verizon MiFi device this is generally not a problem.

Recently the manufacture had a firmware update that seems to have resolved an intermittent WiFi connection problem as it has not dropped since the update.
Theb2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 07:14 PM   #13
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theb2b View Post
I have the RV Whisper, purchased last summer, and it nice to see all my sensor, that it supports, in one place. I purchased a package that came with a Temp sensor, moisture sensor, two door open sensors plus I already had the Mopeka propane tank sensors and the Thornwave labs battery monitor. I can see all of these from the RV Whispers "Dashboard" but in order to remote monitor you must have a WiFi connection since we have a Verizon MiFi device this is generally not a problem.

Recently the manufacture had a firmware update that seems to have resolved an intermittent WiFi connection problem as it has not dropped since the update.
Thank you, it did seem very promising to have so much monitoring on one device.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 05-02-2020, 08:06 AM   #14

We just got a Verizon jetpack, monthly pay as you go internet, and are looking forward to a network in and around our MH with our extenders. All setup and ready to go!

We have a chihuahua and he usually comes with us wherever we go when camped but if we ever decide to go with a monitoring system we have more options now.

Chris
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 09:18 AM   #15

I have been using RV Whisper for 2 years. It has been working great - I have my own Verizon jetpack in the RV so I have WiFi wherever I go.

I started using RV Whisper with my worrying about my dog getting hot when we had to leave her behind for a few hours. Then I kept adding more sensors - I may have gone overboard with sensors...

My RV Whisper system sensors now include: temperature sensors, (indoor, fridge, freezer, outdoor, wet bay), propane level sensors, shore power (Power Watchdog Surge Protector), battery Voltage, battery Amps, motion sensor, Door sensors, water leak sensors. I just added the Pressure Pro FX Tire Pressure sensors to my RV Whisper system (beta test software from RV Whisper supports Pressure Pro FX TPMS).
ebowings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 09:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebowings View Post
I have been using RV Whisper for 2 years. It has been working great - I have my own Verizon jetpack in the RV so I have WiFi wherever I go.

I started using RV Whisper with my worrying about my dog getting hot when we had to leave her behind for a few hours. Then I kept adding more sensors - I may have gone overboard with sensors...

My RV Whisper system sensors now include: temperature sensors, (indoor, fridge, freezer, outdoor, wet bay), propane level sensors, shore power (Power Watchdog Surge Protector), battery Voltage, battery Amps, motion sensor, Door sensors, water leak sensors. I just added the Pressure Pro FX Tire Pressure sensors to my RV Whisper system (beta test software from RV Whisper supports Pressure Pro FX TPMS).
Just to be safe I think you need a sensor (with room for expansion of course) to monitor all those sensors; just in case.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 09:53 AM   #17

Quote:

How much data does this system consume on a daily basis? It’s rarely a factor for older (grandfathered) systems but the newer plans don’t allow very much data.
Old 05-09-2020, 12:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
How much data does this system consume on a daily basis? It’s rarely a factor for older (grandfathered) systems but the newer plans don’t allow very much data.
My RV Whisper uses about 1/3 of a GByte per Month when left on 24/7, which is what I do.
ebowings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 12:53 PM   #19

Quote:
My RV Whisper uses about 1/3 of a GByte per Month when left on 24/7, which is what I do.
That’s a good number. I usually go through 175-200 gig a month so it wouldn’t be noticeable.
Old 06-15-2020, 12:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post

I just got one. No matter what I try, I can't get the temperature alert to work... The loss of power alert works.
cra_fizzer is offline   Reply With Quote