Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2019, 08:20 AM   #41

We use Roku at home and on the road. Only times we have an issue is if no or poor wifi and cell phone service. We have T-Mobile and didn't have a usage problem this summer when we used it almost exclusively every day.
Oltimer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:42 AM   #42

Anyone using Roku or similar TV stick

We are using an old Roku this week for the first time in our TT. We are using the campgrounds WiFi and since there are only a few campers here there was plenty of bandwidth. Great picture quality. The only problem is we need to find a place to store/install the Roku unit. you can see our Roku hanging over the tv in the upper left corner. We watched an episode of Downton Abbey last night and this morning we watched some national news on YouTube. We have not used it yet with our data plan as we don’t want to deplete our data.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3726.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	216953Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3727.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	216955
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:05 AM   #43
Always Learning

We have 3 TVs and each one used to have Rokus. We just switched one TV to an Amazon Fire stick- solely for the Flickr app so we could run and show all of our photos on the screen as a slideshow. 4+ years of fulltiming and 23,000 photos - it's fun to look back.

BUT- I also carry a truly unlimited Verizon hotspot (with no caps) and an unlimited AT&T hotspot.

I don't use campground WiFi and unless I was paying extra for it, I wouldn't subject the network to my streaming needs. It would degrade the network for everyone around me.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:37 AM   #44
Dahagen

I use the Firestick with T-Mobile 55+ unlimited plan. Works pretty good.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:30 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I just download all movies I want to watch ...
Download from where? In what format?

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:43 PM   #46

I have a firestik, and a Roku tv for the bedroom. I use unlimited Verizon, the hotspot is not though, but it does circle a bit, but for the most part works. I use Amazon prime, and for some reason that doesn't circle as much as other ones.
NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:20 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
Download from where? In what format?
I download onto the hard drive from discs I have and other sources. I convert them to MP4. I have software where I can store Amazon prime shows.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:45 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by simiHal View Post
If Netflix and such is your main concern you might look at a smart tv that allows screen mirroring.
Just an FYI, I found that if you want to to use a VPN on your phone, wireless screen mirroring didn't want to cooperate. I suppose that's because of the IP address changing.
I have a wired HDMI adapter that works fine, that's the way to go if you like to run a VPN.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:07 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by simiHal View Post
If Netflix and such is your main concern you might look at a smart tv that allows screen mirroring. Most smart tv’s have Netflix as an app on them already. I got a Samsung in our tt bedroom which has Netflix but with the screen mirroring I can use my phone to mirror my Directv app and watch games on it. Or you can add a smart DVD player with apps that allows mirroring, which is what is in the living area of our tt on the OE tv.
I spoke with a Samsung rep today--he told me this still requires wifi or a cell signal to work and thus would still consume data.

"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. . .I guess."
Red Green
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
rockfossilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:18 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNMIB View Post
Looking at maybe adding Roku or something similar to our RV entertainment package using hotspot or Wifi to stream movies, Netflix etc.

Yep doing it. Works great if you have a good enough internet connection. I do Roku and Amazon Firestick
tboots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:22 PM   #51

I use a firestick connected to the WiFi Ranger - I either set it up on a near by WiFi network or I use the aftermarket modem with Verizon SIM card. What I have found is streaming from my phone is unlimited so I connect it to the tv as if it were a receiver; then use the WiFi ranger as a hot spot to connect to computer etc.
heet33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:40 PM   #52

We use Roku for streaming YouTube TV. We also have a TOGO WiFi device. It’s great!
Dianafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:52 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I just download all movies I want to watch to a portable hard drive and use a Raspberry Pi box with a version of linux loaded that has Kodi. Most places we camp at do not have good internet reception so a hotspot won't work.

https://mediaexperience.com/raspberr...-with-raspbmc/
This is what I have done and it works great. I have mine hooked up to a good wireless router so they can watch the same movies on the kids iPads during the drive.
Jason
Oliphanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:03 PM   #54

Works for me

I use an ATT mobile hotspot for my home internet and found an unlimited service for $35 per month. Bought a Roku Express for camping and take the hotspot with me. Works great. I can also watch any apps that correspond with channels in my home Dish package.
Thearcher01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:55 PM   #55

We stay at COE, only one has a slight WIFI signal and I don't use my phone as a hotspot.
Picture all the youth playing internet games, parents and us grandparents surfing..not going to work for us.
judymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:00 PM   #56

Thanks all for the great information. Hooked up Roku and it works great with our phones hotspots. Thank You
KNMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:17 PM   #57

Help if I can use my amazon stick

I am new to camping in an RV and a rookie at electronics. Can you advise if I would be able to use our tv to mirror off my ipad?
I have an ipad and an iphone. I was able to use my cell phone( At&T) hotspot and watched a program on Netflix with ipad but that wasn't convenient for my husband I to watch it together. We have a tv in our motor home. What are options to mirror it on the camper tv? I have an amazon fire stick at home on one of our tvs and I have used HDMI and an ipad connector to mirror my ipad to TV.
I am mainly interested in watching something from Amazon prime or Netflix.

I am a little worried about the data thing. I have unlimited with At&T but with other family members on the plan - I am not sure if I would hit the hotspot limit.

Thanks for any advise
sportsdad12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:37 PM   #58

Firestick

I like Firestick better than Roku just because it seems you can add more apps. Maybe I haven't figured out how to get around the Roku yet. They are both great for extra content if have nothing else AND they run on our cell phone hotspots.
3rd Genner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:37 PM   #59

Works for me

I've been using Roku for a couple years with Verizon hot spot tablet with unlimited at $85 a month. It works great. The only time it gets a little iffy is if there's a lot of traffic on the towers
Basquo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:47 PM   #60

I use Amazon Firestick, it works well at home because I have a high download speed, I don't know how the other systems would work with the wifi from regular camp grounds unless you carry a hotspot
dbark is offline   Reply With Quote