Old 07-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #1

Appliance Warranty work question

So my fridge isnt working and is covered under warranty. I have an appointment for a few weeks from now at a local dealer. However my question lies with, I called Dometic who gave me a few of their authorized service/repair facilities, would this be an issue if it is not a Forest River dealer?? As the dealer I have an appointment with is about an hour drive each way, Im looking at using a local repair for the fridge and if I can get one of their mobile techs out at my expense, and warranty covers the work, then it might be more financially sound then burning a tank of fuel and 5-6 hours at a dealer. If the cost is under 100 bucks for the "mobile service call" I believe it may be better as I dont have to spend it on fuel or wear and tear on both truck and the trailer for an unnecessary haul if there are other means. What say the jury?
Old 07-10-2012, 02:59 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

About all the dealer will do is spend a little time to verify the fridge doesn't work, call and wait on authorization, and wait a week or more to get a unit shipped in, and then another day or two to replace it. Most dealerships don't have the tools or knowledge to repair it. I would go as local as possible, but get an authorization from Dometic before any work is done, and get that number to to the local people. Forrest River does not warranty the appliances, the maker of them does. About all most dealers do is replace them, furnace, fridge, water heater, etc.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #3

Ya, got a hols of dometic service guy who will charge 75 for the service call. Will troubleshoot it and get the auth from dometic to fix it. 75 bux will save me the time and hassle of transporting the entire unit to a dealer. If for some reason it went out because of a FR power issue that i had, im keeping my dealer appt for the following week so they can fix it under the FR warranty. When i had my issue before, i brought it to FR in Indiana who replaced the microwave and converter, now they can give me a new fridge hahahahaha