Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2019, 11:07 PM   #1

Atwood Furnace: please help me understand

Hello all, I wanted to get some help understanding a recent failure of my atwood furnace in my Class C. We were on the Oregon coast a couple of weeks ago. One night it got so windy it was shaking the rig and the furnace quit - symptom: no blower, no ignition, nothing - but the thermostat was calling for heat. It was cold and fortunately I had a small space heater. However that is frowned upon in a park so I gave Advanced Mobile Tech Svcs a call and got the famous "Chad" who saved us with a phone call. He asked me if it was an Atwood and then asked me to turn the thermostat off for 30 seconds and back on. I had tried that but we did it anyway to no avail. Then he asked me to thump the exterior door - not to dent the door but give it a good couple of thumps. I thought "you're kidding - that's not going to work." I did exactly that and my wife calls from the rig "its on now." Now Chad mentioned a faulty sail switch - typical of this model. But I thought the sail switch controlled ignition dependent on the blower blowing. If the sail switch failed, it would seem that the blower would be unaffected while ignition would be inhibited. But the blower wouldn't blow so how did a flaky sail switch prevent the blower form blowing??
Bentspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 06:54 AM   #2
Site Team

If the sail switch is closed when the start sequence begins it will put the system in lockout. It has to be open and transition to closed once the blower starts for the sequence to continue.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:26 PM   #3

Thanks

Now that explains it. Thanks for the insight
Bentspoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace