Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2019, 10:18 AM   #1

Auto Generator Start and A/C question.

Just bought a used 2016 Dynamax DX3. I know it has AGS as I woke up to the generator running the first morning I got it. My question is, can I set the thermostat on the A/C and have the AGS start and stop the generator as needed to keep the coach cool while I am away for the day. We have pets.

Since I bought this used, I did not get a very thorough run down on how everything works. The "Owners Manual" could almost not be more worthless.

I tried to get it to run how I think it should, but it is not working.

Thanks
KAT-A-TONIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:36 AM   #2

sure! that's exactly what it's for!

For the AGS to trigger for TEMPERATURE, you want to make sure you have everything set to make it happen. I have a Magnum inverter and remote and AGS, so I'll assume that yours is the same, or the steps are similar.

AGS DISPLAY:
- ENABLE the AGS
- set the TEMP setting to the desired temperature you want the AGS to start the generator, and therefore allow the air conditioner(s) to operate.
- if you want only one air conditioner to operate, and you also want to allow the Generator to charge your batteries, set the SHORE button setting to 30.
- if you want BOTH air conditioners to operate, set the SHORE max setting to 10

THERMOSTAT:
- turn ONE, or both, air conditioners to COOL/ON
- set the TEMP to ONE DEGREE BELOW the setting you made for the AGS

Now, when the TEMP for the Thermostat reaches the set number, it will be 'ready' to run the air conditioner(s) when the AGS Temp setting triggers the Generator to start.

Also, the general rule is that the Generator will continue to run until the TEMP setting has been reached, which could be 30 minutes, or 2 hours... the AGS will automatically shut down the Generator. This will go on for the duration you wish it to, starting the GENERATOR when needed, and cutting it off once the temp has been reached, etc.

It's critical that you set the THERMOSTAT one degree lower than the AGS Temp setting so that the Thermostat has triggered to ON for the air conditioners before the Generator starts, otherwise you could have the Generator running without the air conditioners, or at least for part of the time. Also, this is impacted by which AGS TEMP Sensor design you have... some use a sensor somewhere in the room, such as mounted under an overhead cabinet, and some just use the THERMOSTAT itself.

The SHORE MAX setting is one that can help with tripped breakers. You don't want to go to the trouble of setting up your AGS and going off on a trip away from the RV, to find that when you return, the Generator is running non-stop, but the air conditioners are not, simply because the generator's breaker has tripped due to too many things running at once.
The SHORE MAX tells the Battery Charger how much 'volts' it can use while other things are running - when you turn down this setting, you are essentially asking the Battery Charger to 'pair back' on it's running while the air conditioners need power.
You can also help minimize tripped breakers by cutting off the ELECTRIC WATER HEATER, if it is on.
Or, you can also just cut off the Battery Charger all together while you are away.

Just from experience! : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:25 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply, but my system seems to be different. The "Temp" setting on the AGS is simply an on/off parameter that allows the A/C to work if it is turned on and the temperature is reached. I found the book on how to configure my system and followed the steps as outlined. Unfortunately, it still does not work. I may be forced to go to the local dealer and see if I can pay them to show me how it works.

Not sure why this system has to be so complicated.
KAT-A-TONIC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator