Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2016, 09:20 AM   #1

Awning LED Lights Issue

Hello Everyone,

New member here. I just purchased a 2016 Salem BHBS TT. After I got it home and set up, I noticed the awning LED light strip was on. Tried the switch inside on the control panel.......nothing. I removed the panel and disconnected the switch, the LED lights were still on. After turning off breakers & pulling fuses I finally figured out that disconnecting the main TT battery turned the lights off. Re-assembled everything and now the switch on the inside panel turns the lights off & on, but the remote doesn't work. I know if the lights are turned on with the remote, they must be turned off with the remote. I have replaced the remote battery with a new one and still doesn't work. I have heard that disconnecting the main TT battery and removing the remote battery will cause the two to synchronize again. Has anyone else experienced this and what order are the batteries removed and replaced?

Thanks in advance......
papatioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:04 AM   #2

I just received a reply to this post via email but it is not showing up here.....shouldn't it be?
Old 02-01-2016, 10:07 AM   #3

Not unless someone Post,s it! It helps everyone if the answer is Posted! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:45 PM   #4

Update........received this documentation from Forest River. I have ruled out all possible causes on their list. I am now able to turn the awning LED lights on with the interior control panel switch. Then if I press "ON" on the remote I can adjust the lights. If I press "OFF" on the remote it no longer functions and the only way to restore it's function is to turn the lights off at the control panel, turn them back on and start over. The remote itself will not turn on or off the lights. I can live with this...........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Led Lighting instructions for awning anf u tube video.jpg
Views:	1119
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	98853  
Old 02-03-2016, 01:49 PM   #5

Buy you a wifi controller and get rid of that IR controller, I control mine through my phone.
Hornnumb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:51 PM   #6
Georgia Rally Coordinator

If you checked all 4 steps then possibly bad remote. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:58 PM   #7

Nice to see they are using top of the line LED strips

You can buy that same exact kit all day long on Ebay for $10, maybe less.

The remote control can be had for $3 so expect problems.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:01 PM   #8

Yea.....I'm sure this is a cheapo "Made in China" set. My rig is brand new and everything is under warranty. Now is not a good time to hitch it back up to return it to the shop......will do later in a couple of weeks.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:40 PM   #9

Range on the remote is for the "pits!!!!!!! You have to be really close to the eye....I had to trim a little bit of plastic covering back covering the eye...........
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:59 PM   #10

Jim,

The remote functions as I posted above, simply won't turn the lights on. Once I turn the lights on from the panel, and after I press "ON" on the remote I have the ability to change the light colors & patterns. If I press "OFF" on the remote it kills all operation of the remote and won't recover unless I turn the lights off & back on from the inside panel. I stood on a step ladder and held the remote in front of the eye and the remote still wouldn't turn the lights on. The eye is clear and pointing outward.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:27 PM   #11

Not sure why they would have a switch and remote for it, likely the switch is killing the power for the ir receiver. Should be able to leave switch on all the time and just use remote.
Hornnumb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:17 PM   #12

It was explained to me by the dealer....if you turn it on with the remote, you have to turn it off with the remote. I have seen that posted on here as well. I have not figured out how this would be wired unless the ir receiver had the option of 2 sources of power which I have never seen on any other LED light controllers. It would make sense to me that you supply power to the light with the interior switch and control the display with the remote. The switch would override the remote's on/off switching capability......just thinking out loud. I wish someone on here that had this setup already would post here and explain exactly how theirs work. I will take it back to the dealer when it is convenient because it is under warranty.....just thought I could solve this on my own.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by papatioman View Post
Jim,

The remote functions as I posted above, simply won't turn the lights on. Once I turn the lights on from the panel, and after I press "ON" on the remote I have the ability to change the light colors & patterns. If I press "OFF" on the remote it kills all operation of the remote and won't recover unless I turn the lights off & back on from the inside panel. I stood on a step ladder and held the remote in front of the eye and the remote still wouldn't turn the lights on. The eye is clear and pointing outward.
Mine are after market that I installed.....My "eye" is way down on the very bottom of my awning bracket..about 4' up from ground....j
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:29 PM   #14

I don't think the location or height of the eye is an issue here, the remote works fine at adjusting the lights once I turn them on at the control panel inside. Just called the dealership and talked to one of their technicians. He could not tell me how it was supposed to operate until he had a look at it. This is a brand new trailer that I just picked up and he can't tell me anything?

I'm just going to go with what I have the way it works now.....thanks for all your help everyone!

Tags
awning, led, light