Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2021, 12:08 AM   #21

After receiving a new backup camera and eventually they sent me the right adapter cable, I installed it today. Still “no video signal”! I did check the power as well. So I think I’ve narrowed it down to the wiring from the camera to the multiplexer or the multiplex itself.

I would plug the camera directly into the multiplexer, but the plugs are vastly different.
Old 04-11-2021, 11:05 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpAndDownTheWest View Post
After receiving a new backup camera and eventually they sent me the right adapter cable, I installed it today. Still “no video signal”! I did check the power as well. So I think I’ve narrowed it down to the wiring from the camera to the multiplexer or the multiplex itself.

I would plug the camera directly into the multiplexer, but the plugs are vastly different.
When I was wiring a rear view camera on a cargo trailer, I had the fitting cables to the head unit, but got no picture. I sent it into an electronics shop that specializes in installations. They couldn't get a picture. Our camera was a RVS camera and I called the company tech support. They were stymied until I mentioned using a cable fitting that was not RVS specific. They indicated that the fittings were identical, but the wiring to the connectors were proprietary. RVS sent the correct cable and it worked. Hopefully, they sent the "right" one.

Also, you may want to check for corrosion within the connectors. A shot of WD-40 will often clean up the connection without shorting.

This kind of trouble is a PITA. When we purchase a toad, we wanted to add hitches front and rear. The front was a piece of cake. The rear hitch was a cinch and I ordered an OEM wire harness for a 7-pin connector. I also wired in a backup camera and backup distance sensors. Then had to take it to a dealer to have it "flashed" to become operational. Great! The 7-pin, back sensors, backup camera all work.Everything works except the backup lights. How can that be? It's on the spring to-do list.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back up camera, camera