Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2021, 04:27 PM   #1

Back up camera - No video signal

The back up camera stopped working. I haven’t used it for awhile since I’ve been towing to get to my destination. Once I disconnected the tow and backed into the site, noticed the back up camera wasn’t working.

I have a 2016 Dynamax 37TS. On the dash I have a Sony XAV-602BT that displays both blinker cameras as well as the back up camera.

The Sony all works fine except the back up camera. I reset the Sony as well to make sure that wasn’t the problem. I did a visual inspection of the camera and it looks completely fine. I also have a Connexx CVS 150-01 that receives the video signals from all 3 cameras and has a video out to the Sony. I unplugged all connections from the Connexx unit and reconnected securely. Still no help. I individually tested both blinkers and the back up inputs to verify the Sony was getting the video signal.

So I think the problem is the 1. camera, 2. camera wiring to Connexx, 3. Power to camera, or 4. Connexx Unit.

Does anybody have any ideas to test the 4 possibilities or other suggestions? Thanks!
Old 03-15-2021, 09:46 AM   #2
Retired Panpsychist

Since you know that the blinker-cams work fine with the Conexx, I'd attach the rear cam to one of the Conexx blinker cam inputs and turn on the turn signal for that input.

I'm guessing that if you don't see a video signal, the problem may be the rear camera itself, the power going to it, or it's wiring back to the Conexx. You can check the power at the camera with a multi-meter. That would leave either the camera or the wiring to the Conexx.

If you do see a video signal when the rear cam is plugged into the blinker cam input, then I'd suspect that something is wrong with the Conexx rear cam input channel. That can be checked by connecting one of the blinker cams to the rear input and turning on it's turn signal.

BTW, can you select which camera is displaying on the Sony? This may be necessary to help diagnose what is going on.

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 11:10 AM   #3

Still no joy

I tried both of the 4 post blinker cameras connectors into the 6 post rear camera spot and I still don’t have any video signal. The 6 post rear camera wouldn’t fit into the 4 post at all. I’m not sure if this is a true test, as the 4 pins in the blinker connector may be wired different than the 6 pins in rear camera connector.
Old 03-15-2021, 11:41 AM   #4
Retired Panpsychist

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpAndDownTheWest View Post
I tried both of the 4 post blinker cameras connectors into the 6 post rear camera spot and I still don’t have any video signal. The 6 post rear camera wouldn’t fit into the 4 post at all. I’m not sure if this is a true test, as the 4 pins in the blinker connector may be wired different than the 6 pins in rear camera connector.
Got it, Mike. You'll need to determine the signals of the individual blinker cam "posts". BTW, what exactly are you referring to by the word "post"? Are these screw terminals or pin-based connectors? Something else?

I'm just guessing, but I'll bet that 2 wires that are common to all cameras' connector wiring are power (+) and ground (-). Power is usually red and ground can be white, black, brown or green (among others!). Of course, this isn't a standard by any means and RVs' wiring harnesses are head-bangingly non-standard!!!

Analyze the wire colors of the 3 connectors. Do you have a multi-meter to track down voltage/continuity?

Better yet, take it to the Dynamax dealer and let them figure it out. It'll cost you some money but will save you hours of migraine-inducing frustration!

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 11:57 AM   #5

I have a 2017 Dynamax and had an issue with the backup camera would not work while I was traveling down the road so I could keep track of the toad. After looking at the manuals I found that I needed to ground one of the inputs then I could see the camera while traveling down the road. You should be able to activate the camera while sitting with the parking brake activated. I have attached some manuals that may help. (I hope.)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sony XAV-602BT INSTALL MANUAL.pdf (264.2 KB, 70 views)
File Type: pdf XAV602_SERVICE_MANUAL.pdf (8.64 MB, 93 views)
Old 03-15-2021, 12:07 PM   #6

The cable from the cameras are fully enclosed that go to the pin connectors. The Conexx has pin receivers. No individual wires are visible on the cable, connectors or the Conexx. I don’t have a multi-meter on site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	181FE399-F5D3-4FCE-93C0-91E5B515EB4F.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	330.9 KB
ID:	249777  
Old 03-15-2021, 12:22 PM   #7

Our camera is powered through the running lights, so I need to have the lights on.
ElyWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 12:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travler View Post
I have a 2017 Dynamax and had an issue with the backup camera would not work while I was traveling down the road so I could keep track of the toad. After looking at the manuals I found that I needed to ground one of the inputs then I could see the camera while traveling down the road. You should be able to activate the camera while sitting with the parking brake activated. I have attached some manuals that may help. (I hope.)
Thanks for the manuals. My back up camera never did allow me to view when going down the road either. It did work while parked. I think I’ve narrowed it down to the 4 possibilities in my original post.

I’ll check to make sure the back up lights are working next week when I move, which could eliminate the back up lights power possibility. I looked at the fuses but they have very non-specific labels. I checked ones that I thought could be it, but all fuses are good.
Old 03-15-2021, 12:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyWhy View Post
Our camera is powered through the running lights, so I need to have the lights on.
I was coming here to say the same thing. Sure wish there was a like button.
Luke V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 12:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyWhy View Post
Just tried that and that isn’t the issue.
Old 03-15-2021, 01:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Just tried that and that isn’t the issue.
Seeing as you have the side blinker cameras, it would be suspected that the rear camera would be a rear view camera vs a backup camera. That would function when the shift lever is in "drive" position. It may also be wired to function when the shift lever is in reverse as-well. Both settings are explained. Attached is an operating manual for your Sony head unit. This is different than those already suggested. Go to pages 31 and then 26 for instructions to set the Sony head unit. If your chassis battery has been disconnected, it may have lost the setting.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup.../44769101M.pdf
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 02:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
Seeing as you have the side blinker cameras, it would be suspected that the rear camera would be a rear view camera vs a backup camera. That would function when the shift lever is in "drive" position. It may also be wired to function when the shift lever is in reverse as-well. Both settings are explained. Attached is an operating manual for your Sony head unit. This is different than those already suggested. Go to pages 31 and then 26 for instructions to set the Sony head unit. If your chassis battery has been disconnected, it may have lost the setting.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup.../44769101M.pdf
I previously went through the Sony settings and just did it again with the manual in hand. The back up camera as well as the rear view camera are both still showing “no video signal”. The blinker cameras are still working normally.
Old 03-15-2021, 02:45 PM   #13

Asked a passerby to see if the backup lights were working while in reverse and they are. So if the camera is getting power from the backup lights, that’s not the issue.
Old 03-15-2021, 02:45 PM   #14

After that I am betting it is a bad camera.
Old 03-15-2021, 03:52 PM   #15

Make sure your lights are on not on Auto
mvoinco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 04:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvoinco View Post
Make sure your lights are on not on Auto
Do you mean the headlights?
Old 03-15-2021, 04:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Asked a passerby to see if the backup lights were working while in reverse and they are. So if the camera is getting power from the backup lights, that’s not the issue.
Forest River was pairing RVS (Rear View Safety) cameras with different head units. If they look anything like the cameras in the attachment, give RVS a call at 800-754-1028 They are very knowledgeable and helpful. They are on California time.

https://www.campingworld.com/rear-vi...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:09 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
Forest River was pairing RVS (Rear View Safety) cameras with different head units. If they look anything like the cameras in the attachment, give RVS a call at 800-754-1028 They are very knowledgeable and helpful. They are on California time.

https://www.campingworld.com/rear-vi...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
I called Rear View Safety at 800-764-1028 (different than above) and they determined it was not their product. Still scratching my head...
Old 03-21-2021, 09:04 PM   #19

I ordered a new camera today. I’ll send a status update after I finish installing it.
Old 03-26-2021, 05:32 AM   #20

Picked up the 2021 274BRB. camera standard. I'm surprised it was actually a Furrion and not a Driven. They told me to not have lights in auto. It causes it to drop signal. Headlights must be in manual. Worked great. Even going down the road.
vwhowrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back up camera, camera