Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2022, 10:23 AM   #21
Trailer Trash

I'm not suggesting any particular brand, but this was a no brainer in my world as far as price goes. I can only speak from personal experience. The picture quality is great. There is very little to no chop at highway speeds for a rearview camera mode. Having a 7' wide trailer, I don't even need big honking side view mirrors on the Tahoe to tow with confidence. I can see everything around me. I can crank the camera down a little to back my trailer up to my garage within inches with no spotter. The suction cup holds the monitor well, but comes with a bracket if you choose a permanent mounting location. The adapter plate lines up perfectly for the trailer's Furion mount and is plug and play. It's upgradable to 4 cameras with a split screen. Go ahead and pay more if you want...(almost $600 vs under $200)

Furion camera and monitor.
https://www.amazon.com/Furrion-Wirel...NrPXRydWU&th=1

The brand I used
https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Blue...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Monitor suction cup
https://www.amazon.com/Amtifo-Windsh...s%2C237&sr=8-3

Adapter plate
https://www.amazon.com/AMTIFO-Bracke...s%2C231&sr=8-3
Old 02-09-2022, 11:03 AM   #22

Camera

3X-Haloview. Replaced Furrion due to issues. I feel the Haloview is superior.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 01:58 PM   #23

Back up camera

I put on the Hopkins View Smart. It was inexpensive and easy to install, but since you view it on your phone through an app the picture is small.

https://hopkinstowingsolutions.com/?t=products/towing-cameras/50050
kingoffixin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 06:31 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy1 View Post
I ordered the DoHonest S21. from Amazon for $139. It got here fast and I used it on a trip to Quartzsite, AZ. 2000 miles round trip. It was easy to install and sinc. I had no problems, good quality picture. The wife and I were very pleased.
How long is your camper?
Thanks John
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 07:51 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by old40ford View Post
How long is your camper?

Thanks John
I believe his Wildcat Maxx 272RLX is 30ft long.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 04:35 PM   #26
rfifer

I had a Furrion and did not care for it - picture became dark and could not lighten it up for clear vision. Then I tried a Tadi and problems with the transmission / reception distance. I have a Haloview now and truly like it best. I can endorse the previous comments about Haloview.
TV F-150
rfifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 07:12 PM   #27
Canoeing and camping fun

Screen

Get something with a monitor screen bigger than 4 inches!!! Thatís what we had with our first camera. Got a 7 inch monitor screen when we replaced our camera.
Jean D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 07:48 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
X2.

I have a Furrion on my current trailer. Sorry, but the resolution of the Furrion is poor. If I had known at the time, I would have gone with the Haloview. With the Furrion, you are paying for the name.
Old 02-14-2022, 09:04 PM   #29

Just get a Garmin Nuvicam GPS. Then you can have a gps, dash cam, and can add a wireless backup camera - Allwith a 7 inch display.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 09:51 PM   #30

I also have the haloview on the back of a 40' toyhauler with the extension for the antenna. Since it's a 5ver the antenna is even closer than 10' to the monitor.
My monitor is a rear view mirror that attaches to the stock mirror and includes a front facing camera. When the trailers attached the mirror becomes the monitor. No trailer and its just a mirror. I really like it.
Old 02-14-2022, 11:25 PM   #31

Yeah, the Furrion cameras have poor quality images because they're low resolution and use outdated sensors, screens, and wireless technology. But they cost more than double any other camera.

It's a shame Forest River installs mounts that are branded for companies that make junk products and are borderline-scams (Furrion and the QAV wifi extenders).
cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 11:41 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
Yeah, the Furrion cameras have poor quality images because they're low resolution and use outdated sensors, screens, and wireless technology. But they cost more than double any other camera.

It's a shame Forest River installs mounts that are branded for companies that make junk products and are borderline-scams (Furrion and the QAV wifi extenders).
Almost the entire RV Industry uses Furrion products, not just FR.
Have you looked at other brands, such as Thor Industries brands? Furrion camera mounts also.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 01:16 AM   #33

Are you all talking about the Haloview MC7108? There are so many options on Amazon, I want to be sure not to research the wrong one. Looking for wireless that will work with 26 foot trailer and 20 foot truck.

While we're on it, without hijacking the thread, how many of you find the CA112 side marker light cameras useful?
distracto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 02:16 AM   #34
Midwest Ed

I recently installed a Haloview wireless system and overall I'm quite pleased. I can't compare to any other system. It's the 4 camera monitor MC7108 that came with just the backup camera. Screen interface is a bit clunky but expected with no touch screen and limited number of buttons. MicroSD card recording works as advertised. I added the two left and right lane change/blind spot cameras (CA112).

Here's some potential help:

There is a very short time delay that potentially could affect you if you were to backup up very quickly, but it's much quicker than the GoPro with IPhone I tested as a first option. With normal or slow backing up I do not see a problem but a wired system would not have this issue. You can easily avoid hitting an unwanted object but the delay might interfere with something like trying to move into a hitch (e.g. if the camera was on the TV bumper).

I mounted the rear view camera near the top of my 19RBS TT. Camera has a light shield/shroud only at it's top side so I mounted it below the running lights to avoid glare at night from amber lights. Mount is adjustable to angle up or down so with that adjustment and the wide vertical field of view of camera it is sufficient to see both bumper and out to a reasonable following distance. It can be angled to see further out to where the bumper cannot be seen. I powered the camera from running lights so TV headlights must be on. Tested signal strength by driving down the street unhitched. Started to lose signal at about 200 to 300 feet. They offer a camera antenna extension for longer rigs if needed. I think issues would result from metal objects blocking signal rather than just the distance.

Left and right cameras come attached to standard horizontal oval amber running lights, meant to replace your existing lights. I never checked before buying and I didn't notice that my existing forward lights are mounted vertically and space was limited in front of pass-through storage access doors. I therefore mounted them further to the rear (just to the rear of access doors) and had to drill new holes for power cable. Access to power was still inside my underside pass-through compartment so wiring was doable but a bit of a hassle. The camera's standard viewing angle resulted in about 50% of the display being the side of the trailer. The steel mount can be bent slightly to reduce this to 25%. Washers could be added to shim it further but the field of view as is now seems adequate. I inquired to Haloview and they do not make a vertically oriented light.

All 3 camera's usefulness can decrease during rain as water drops can cover camera lens and distort the optics.

On a side note, I wanted to be able to use the monitor inside the trailer as a night time security system (cameras have infrared LED lights). I can bring the display inside be the running lights still need to be turned on in the case of strange noises, intruder suspicions, etc. In order to avoid having to run wires for an inside switch, I bought an RF wireless, FOB activated circuit board (2 for $14 on Amazon). It has a 10 amp relay and is 12VDC powered. Added a 7 pin TV end receptacle mounted to battery rail into which I insert the trailer plug to access battery 12VDC, Ground and Running Lights signal. Add an IP65 enclosure mounted next to batteries and there you go.

Haloview MC7108 Wireless Backup Camera Bundle (MC7108+CA112)

Bonus Security System Parts:

433 MHz Wireless Relay

IP65 Enclosure

Any Vehicle End 7 Pin Receptacle

The wiring is simple but I can help if needed.
Old 02-15-2022, 08:47 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartin_tdc View Post
For my wireless Haloview, the point of that question is the distance from the antenna on the camera to the receiver in the cab. My system included a wired antenna extension that brought the antenna to the front of the trailer, up on the roof. Very easy to run the wires up on the roof and use the supplied stick on attachment anchors for holding the cable in place. So now, instead of the camera antenna being about 38' from the monitor/receiver, it is about 10'.

This gives me a rock solid signal all the time at any speed I wish to drive.
X2 Haloview Dominator series.
Old 02-15-2022, 08:51 AM   #36

I also have the Haloview with a 37 ft 5th wheel No problem when driving slow as in backing up but not so good at highway speeds using it as a rearview camera.
LI Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 09:35 AM   #37

I have the Furrion Observation camera. I don't think Haloview was available when I purchased it. Our 30' Surveyor 251rks was prewired for the Furrion. I love that I can see cars that come right up on the back of the trailer. I don't use it that much for backing into a site. The field of view isn't that great for that.
Screen picture could be better. If this one fails I may try the Halloview system.

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 09:40 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoffixin View Post
I put on the Hopkins View Smart. It was inexpensive and easy to install, but since you view it on your phone through an app the picture is small.
I also went the Hopkins route just so I wouldn't have yet another display in the cab. Sort of depends on what you're looking to get out of a rear camera setup. Yes, the Hopkins is small since it uses your phone. So it's not really helpful to use when backing in to sites. On the flip side it's nice to be able to see if someone's tailgating, as well as knowing that it's clear to move back over after passing someone.
2022 nights camped - 28
2021 nights camped - 28
2020 nights camped - 24
chewie37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 09:47 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyRoads View Post
I have the Furrion Observation camera. I don't think Haloview was available when I purchased it. Our 30' Surveyor 251rks was prewired for the Furrion. I love that I can see cars that come right up on the back of the trailer. I don't use it that much for backing into a site. The field of view isn't that great for that.
Screen picture could be better. If this one fails I may try the Halloview system.

X2....although the field of view isn't as good to see traffic behind you, I still have no problems with my system and works great. To get a better view of traffic around me, I just installed the Furrion side marker cameras and, so far, have been a great addition. One thing that turned me off about many of the other observation systems on the market is needing antenna for the side markers and the observation tablet. I much prefer an internally integrated antenna. Just one less thing to break off and need replacing.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 11:18 AM   #40

No advice here on what camera to get but I've never felt the need or utility for one as the side clearances for things like trees and curbs and positioning the drains are important and a rear view camera is no help there. I find the back up cameras on my cars helpful and one on a motorhome would be the same but I'm seeing little utility with a camera on the back of the trailer and the display is another distraction. The flexible joint between the trailer and truck is easier to detect just using the mirrors. Back of the trailer doesn't move the same direction as the back of the truck anyway. Doesn't embarrass me to get out and walk back to see how close I'm getting directly behind the trailer.

YMMV.

-- Chuck

Tags
back up camera, camera, question, questions