Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2022, 11:39 AM   #81

I have the Furion with the larger 7"(?) screen and am happy I went with the larger display and the camera functionality is good. The issue I have is mounting and powering it in the Ram without the clutter affect. I am looking into rubber straps that will attach it to the rear view mirror that is useless while towing. I will then run a power wire into the overhead console.
whitexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 01:34 PM   #82
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWIBE View Post
This really helps to understand how it all works. Thank you. I don't have a monitor, I am assuming that will come with the back up camera that I choose. Is there a minimum size monitor you would suggest? I guess I will look around to see what there is available. It sounds as though there is a Furion adapter available if I decide to use something other than a Furion camera set up. I guess I need to climb up the ladder and see what my connections look like on the prewiring. Hopefully there are some convenient plugs up there. I am hoping to figure this out to get for my husband for his birthday in July. I am the family tech support so it is on me to figure the whole thing out.
IMHO, the Furrion system is overpriced. The Haloview systems are cheaper, better quality and popular with RVers. 7in is the most popular monitor size.
I got my system off of Amazon for $119. It came with 7in monitor andextended range antenna. My TT didn't have any camera pre-wiring. My system works great and really appreciate being able to see what's behind me while driving.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 01:44 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
IMHO, the Furrion system is overpriced. The Haloview systems are cheaper, better quality and popular with RVers. 7in is the most popular monitor size.
I got my system off of Amazon for $119. It came with 7in monitor andextended range antenna. My TT didn't have any camera pre-wiring. My system works great and really appreciate being able to see what's behind me while driving.
I bought the Furrion because it was easy. I was initially satisfied. 2 years later, the image is dimmer and murkier.

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 01:53 PM   #84
Midwest Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
I bought the Furrion because it was easy. I was initially satisfied. 2 years later, the image is dimmer and murkier.
Have you cleaned the lens? It could simply be easily be dust and oil film or if the lens is polycarbonate plastic then it could be the same film that plagues most headlight covers.
Old 06-19-2022, 05:00 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Ed View Post
Have you cleaned the lens? It could simply be easily be dust and oil film or if the lens is polycarbonate plastic then it could be the same film that plagues most headlight covers.
I've cleaned it with water and a paper towel. It didn't charge the haze. I think it's solar exposure more than dirt.

Old 06-19-2022, 05:09 PM   #86
Midwest Ed

Quote:
I've cleaned it with water and a paper towel. It didn't charge the haze. I think it's solar exposure more than dirt.
Before replacing the camera you might try one of the cleaning/polishing compounds made for polycarbonates.
Old 06-19-2022, 09:28 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Ed View Post
Before replacing the camera you might try one of the cleaning/polishing compounds made for polycarbonates.
I have a '22 F150 on order. They have the wiring, or at least connections for the wiring, to add a wired camera that can be viewed on the dash screen. I already bought a camera on eBay, new in box, for a small fraction of the dealer price. I'm hoping that will be better than what I have and I can ditch there Furrion. If not, I'll pursue a fix.

Combining that with the fact that Ford navigation now includes RV routing, I can get rid of two accessory screens in the cab. I could include trailer TPMS in the Ford kit but the cost is silly and the one that came with the trailer is good.

Old 06-19-2022, 11:50 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyRoads View Post
We have a 2017 Surveyor 251rks. Ours came plug and play ready for a Furrion Camera. We have been using that system and have been happy with it. The monitor is rather small though. We do have a problem now because of changes Chevy made to how it is supplying power to the running lights. We are currently waiting for Furrion/Lippert to make their adapter available which is supposedly going correct this issue. If it does not we maybe switching to a Halloview system.
Dusty, according to your profile and signature you have a Chevy 2016 2500HD. I had a Chevy 2015 2500HD and had no problem with the camera not working on my 5er. However when I traded that in for my current Chevy 3500HD the camera would no longer work.

I checked the internet and found that my camera wouldn't work because of the Pulse Width Modulation wasn't sending 12V to the taillight system which the camera was powered to sending somewhere around 7V when the camera needed the full 12V. I then found that etrailer had an adapter to correct this so 12V was sent to the taillight system for the 2019-2020 Chevys but would not work for 2021 models.

Furrion had promises for an adapter but nothing available at the time I needed it. So I cobbled together my own using a relay and a 3ft 7-way extension cable. Since then a power adapter is available from Furrion and etrailer for 2021-2022 Chevy models.
https://furrion.com/products/vision-...h-power-switch
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...on/FR87PR.html

Being you have a 2016 Chevy, I don't think that there was a problem with PWM on your truck. You may have another problem that is contributing to your situation. First check the volts coming to your 7-way plug. It could be something simple like a loose or broken wire. Doubt it, but even could be a blown fuse. A couple of times, my 2015 blew the fuse feeding power back to my 5er.

Good luck and be safe -

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 06:17 PM   #89

Back up camera and Ford F150

Quote:
I have a '22 F150 on order. They have the wiring, or at least connections for the wiring, to add a wired camera that can be viewed on the dash screen. I already bought a camera on eBay, new in box, for a small fraction of the dealer price. I'm hoping that will be better than what I have and I can ditch there Furrion. If not, I'll pursue a fix.

Combining that with the fact that Ford navigation now includes RV routing, I can get rid of two accessory screens in the cab. I could include trailer TPMS in the Ford kit but the cost is silly and the one that came with the trailer is good.
Hi Chris,
What type of camera did you get on EBay? Is it a Furion or one from Ford? Can you explain what RV routing is? I talked to Ford about getting a camera through them so that it would show up in my truck's cab screen rather than having a separate monitor for the camera. They seemed to indicate it would but you had to buy the camera through them at $699 and that wasn't even with installation. They indicated that another after market one might not work with or could mess up the software in the Ford navigation system.
I am interested in using the camera mainly for backing up. I have seen some mention on this thread that some of them aren't good for that. So now I am confused as I would think that would be the most important use of the camera in the back. Anyone know which camera has the best view of the back bumper to facilitate the backing up. Thank you.
LAWIBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 07:18 PM   #90

Quote:
Hi Chris,

What type of camera did you get on EBay? Is it a Furion or one from Ford? Can you explain what RV routing is? I talked to Ford about getting a camera through them so that it would show up in my truck's cab screen rather than having a separate monitor for the camera. They seemed to indicate it would but you had to buy the camera through them at $699 and that wasn't even with installation. They indicated that another after market one might not work with or could mess up the software in the Ford navigation system.

I am interested in using the camera mainly for backing up. I have seen some mention on this thread that some of them aren't good for that. So now I am confused as I would think that would be the most important use of the camera in the back. Anyone know which camera has the best view of the back bumper to facilitate the backing up. Thank you.
I bought the prescribed Furrion new on Amazon a couple of years ago. The screen is now a bit dim and the image skirt murky. IIRC, it was always somewhat dim but it's problematic if it's bright outside and I'm wearing sunglasses. It's nowhere near as clear and crisp as the 8" screen in my F150.

The hazy/murky image may be UV damage of the lens. I really can't say. Look for YouTube comparisons of compatible models.

Don't get a backup-only camera. You think you want it only for that but you will find it helpful while driving as well. It's also my impression that backup-only cameras are lower quality. They used to be the standard but technology has advanced.

The new-in-box camera I bought is a Ford-branded wired camera with a harness that connects to a 12-pin plug on the back of compatible trucks. It used to be available only for SuperDuty models but now is available on some F150s. I think it requires 360 cameras but can be retrofitted in some cases with a bit of fiddling.

If you have a Ford SuperDuty, inquire with your dealer for details. Again, search YouTube. Be prepared for sticker shock, and you have to install the camera yourself. You might be able to pick one up on eBay like I did, and some online Ford dealer parts prices are cheaper than local. If you have a gen 14 F150, follow the topic below. The title relates to TPMS but the conversation includes cameras and yaw sensors.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thre...s-system.4989/

NB: I have not used the Ford camera yet. It could be trash but I don't think so.

Old 06-20-2022, 10:28 PM   #91

Back up camera

Sorry if I am asking stupid questions. What is the difference between a backup camera vs a rearview camera. I would think they would be the same thing. Our trailer is only 19 ft long so don't know that I need the rearview. I am looking for assistance in backing up. Also if you have a 12 pin plug into the back of the truck for your camera, how is the rest of the trailer wired to the system (battery charging, brakes, etc). Best I understand from earlier posts, the wiring for the camera is to supply power to the camera, not to transmit the camera picture to the truck. That is done wirelessly. Did I get that information wrong?
LAWIBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 10:59 PM   #92
Site Team

Quote:
Sorry if I am asking stupid questions. What is the difference between a backup camera vs a rearview camera. I would think they would be the same thing. Our trailer is only 19 ft long so don't know that I need the rearview. I am looking for assistance in backing up. Also if you have a 12 pin plug into the back of the truck for your camera, how is the rest of the trailer wired to the system (battery charging, brakes, etc). Best I understand from earlier posts, the wiring for the camera is to supply power to the camera, not to transmit the camera picture to the truck. That is done wirelessly. Did I get that information wrong?
A backup camera only works when the vehicle is put in reverse.
A rear observation camera is on all the time. Usually on trailers, the running lights need to be on, to power the observation camera.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 09:58 AM   #93

If using the back up camera / observation camera to aid in backing up, be aware of lag.

2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 257BHS
2019 Ford F150 Super Crew 3.5 Eco Boost Max Tow Package
distracto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back up camera, camera, question, questions