Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2022, 08:22 PM   #1

Back up Camera questions

Hey! I am looking to purchase a back up camera for my 19sm travel trailer. However, I am very new to the camper world, and see a ton of cameras on amazon and reviews of various ones on different websites. Many of the brands I have never heard of or look shady. I do not want to break the bank or need anything super fancy..anybody have any insight for me???
hydro76k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 08:24 PM   #2

mount

I do have the furrion mount already on the back of the camper
Old 02-07-2022, 09:55 PM   #3
Site Team

One the most popular choice is Haloview camera system. Much better than any Furrion product and much cheaper.
There are literally thousands of posts on this topic.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 10:10 PM   #4

I ordered the DoHonest S21. from Amazon for $139. It got here fast and I used it on a trip to Quartzsite, AZ. 2000 miles round trip. It was easy to install and sinc. I had no problems, good quality picture. The wife and I were very pleased.
jonboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 10:25 PM   #5

i purchased a Haloview camera system from Haloview. Came with the Furrion adapter. Easy install and I haven't had any connection problems. Very pleased price and quality
Cliff456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 11:48 AM   #6
Trailer Trash

I had good luck with the Amtifo brand on Amazon. Decent quality and support.
Old 02-08-2022, 11:51 AM   #7

I purchased the Haloview system after much research. I have a 3 camera system, 1 rear and 1 on each side about half way down the 30' trailer. I can monitor all my surroundings with a glance in the truck side mirrors and at the monitor that can display 1, 2 or up to 4 cameras at 1 time.
2012 RAM 2500 Laramie CTD and 4:10
mmartin_tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 07:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff456 View Post
i purchased a Haloview camera system from Haloview. Came with the Furrion adapter. Easy install and I haven't had any connection problems. Very pleased price and quality
my surveyor has the furrion camera and screen. I would really like a brighter screen. in bright daylight I have to really focus in on the screen which takes my eyes off the road for an extra few seconds. if you replaced a furrion system with the haloview, is the display brighter?

for mounting the camera, I understand the furrion-compatible bracket. is the pre-wired power connection also compatible with the Haloview?

thanks!

Ken
faithie999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 08:40 PM   #9

Thanks

Thanks for all the info so far...there are so many out there lol..checking them out now...
Old 02-08-2022, 09:04 PM   #10

Length

Probably a dumb question, but..I am on some websites looking at cameras..and it asks for vehicle total length..is that a combination of my truck and camper?
Old 02-08-2022, 09:39 PM   #11

I also had the Amtifo from Amazon and it's been working well for me for over a year now.

One thing to be aware of/consider. On our TTwhen I mounted the camera on the factory location (used a Furion adapter) it won't let me see the rear bumper of the TT. That camera location is great for watching traffic behind us but not backing. However, the Amtifo offered a two camera package for about $30 bucks extra. I mounted that camera on a round "super magnet" and when I need a camera for backing up I just stick it to the bumper and plug it into a pig tail I ran back to the bumper. Just my 2˘
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 09:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro76k View Post
Probably a dumb question, but..I am on some websites looking at cameras..and it asks for vehicle total length..is that a combination of my truck and camper?
I would say yes, as it is confirming the camera broadcast range is sufficient to send quality signal to the display.

I ordered the LeeKooLuu LK7 with the Furrion adapter mount. I had to do some slight modification to get the mount and screws to line up, but I got it on an Amazon lightning deal for $100. It is 1000x better than the garbage Driven unit that came with my Cherokee Wolf Pup.
Brake Controller: Curt Echo
PDuB-IA2MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 10:47 PM   #13

About "length" question: Some camera systems are wired, so one needs to measure the wire needed for the TV and also for the TT. Then, connect the two wires at the hitch. I am buying a wired model.
-----------------------
Ram 2500 / Surveyor 251rks
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 12:15 AM   #14
Enjoying Life

Mine came with the Furrion S system. it works great. No dropouts.
On my previous trailer, a 2608BS(30ft), the furrion on it worked great as well.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 05:11 AM   #15
Defender of America

I have the Furrion and it works great. My TT came wired for it so it was plug and play. It is a bit more expensive without anymore capabilities than others but only took about 15 minutes to be up and running. Have had it for over a year and no issues.

Make sure you get an observation camera and not just a back up.
Centerline TS WDH
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 08:33 AM   #16
Trailer Trash

Quote:
Camera to monitor distance.
Old 02-09-2022, 08:42 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
One the most popular choice is Haloview camera system. Much better than any Furrion product and much cheaper.
There are literally thousands of posts on this topic.

Ok, so after hearing so many say that the Haloview cameras are the bomb, I need someone to tell me why. Other than they're less expensive, what do they do that Furrion doesn't? On my last fiver, I installed a Voyager camera system and it worked pretty good. But I've installed on my current fiver a Furrion Observation S and been using it for the past couple years. So far, it works fantastic. So much so, I just installed the side marker cameras last week and made an excellent setup even better.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 09:19 AM   #18

Quote:
For my wireless Haloview, the point of that question is the distance from the antenna on the camera to the receiver in the cab. My system included a wired antenna extension that brought the antenna to the front of the trailer, up on the roof. Very easy to run the wires up on the roof and use the supplied stick on attachment anchors for holding the cable in place. So now, instead of the camera antenna being about 38' from the monitor/receiver, it is about 10'.
This gives me a rock solid signal all the time at any speed I wish to drive.
2012 RAM 2500 Laramie CTD and 4:10
mmartin_tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 09:55 AM   #19
Defender of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPs37FLH View Post
Ok, so after hearing so many say that the Haloview cameras are the bomb, I need someone to tell me why. Other than they're less expensive, what do they do that Furrion doesn't?
X2.
Centerline TS WDH
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 10:10 AM   #20

I know this sounds cheap, but it works and its easy to change out the cameras. I have 2 of those "lower end" license plate cams. One on the trailer and one on the truck. When I hook the trailer up, I just switch the single RCA cable over to the camera on the back of the trailer. You just have to be sure and run a high quality RCA cable the length of the trailer. So when you plug in the trailer lights and breaks, I also have a "loop" RCA cable handing down and swap that. I put electrical tape over it, but I being a techy guy should really go buy some waterproof RCA connectors.

The reason I went with this method was the camera lens, the CCD imager on all these Chinese made cams would start to "WHITE OUT" over time, and I figure its because they are cheap and the imager just fades over time. Because I wasn't getting more than 2 or 3 years out of these cams I just did this so now I can buy any camera and put it on the back.

I am unsure how long the camera CCDs last on the wireless ones but the reason I did not bother is we have them here at work and they end up having the same issues, but we have those cams roof mounted on vans and they sit in direct sunlight all the time.

Also let me clarify that my Titan 2011 does NOT come with a backup camera from the factory and I have a Pioneer stereo with DVD player and it has a Double DIN size screen so it was already setup for the single RCA cable. Wireless is probably a better option if you truck already has a builtin backup cam as I doubt you can easily wire a standard RCA cam to it.
stephensatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back up camera, camera, question, questions