Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2024, 08:10 PM   #1

Backup Camera

I need help deciding on a backup camera. Are there any units out there that use Bluetooth connected to iPhone? Thanks.
tcaphou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 08:32 PM   #2
Site Team

A rear observation camera system with its own monitor, is much more desirable than one that uses a cell phone.
I used my camera system mainly for changing lanes because I could see what was behind the trailer.
I recommend a Haloview system.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 09:40 PM   #3

backup camera

Heres my post from last year, fyi:

my 2 cents, probably not the norm, but when we bought our GeoPro (although ours is much shorter than yours), it was prewired for a camera, so I bought the Fusion camera and thought it would be nice to have. I never really needed it; in fact, it was more of a distraction. I wish I spent the money on a few nice dinners/out with the wife instead. Literally never needed the camera.
1. While driving, it's not that useful to me; that's what oversized mirrors do.
2. Backing in/ parking: use the wife on her cellphone, or get out and look a few times, not a big deal.
3. The rear camera reader is just more sh$t on the center console; the tire pressure sensors and the reader IS mandatory if you ask me;(TST 770 Full Color Touch Screen TPMS Monitor or just the monochromatic cheaper one) It is SO worth the peace of mind, and I can check it occasionally; in fact, it went off on the freeway once when a valve stem failed and saved me from a catastrophe bigtime!!!
Treybecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 06:56 AM   #4

I’m also considering a rear view mirror option that I saw where it provides a live image as if the trailer wasn’t there.
Old 06-13-2024, 07:13 AM   #5

I have a Haloview camera wired to the pre-wired Furion mount. I needed an adapter cable and bracket that can be found on Amazon for $10 for the set. I do not get any significant signal lapse or image stutter going down the road. I find it's very helpful to see what's behind me and coming up on my sides in case of a lane change, and of course backing into a site or our parking pad at home. Haloviews get very good reviews and are about 1/3 the cost of the Furion cameras.

Take the high road. It's usually less muddy.
Mookie58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 07:17 AM   #6

Bought mine from Amazon... it comes with a screen
Have never used it to back up only as observation
These cameras / screens are matched together by the seller so you order how many cameras you want side view etc

While driving ... side cameras?
get good towing mirrors, it is my natural instinct to check the mirrors , not a tiny screen
so side cameras are not a great benefit

I got given a WIFI camera that connects to phone... use it for backup truck while hitching (old truck without camera)
Works well and appears to have more range than bluetooth
was going to test it for backup trailer as a second camera .. but the last camp site was so easy to back into it wasn't worth setting up

this camera has magnetic base and usb rechargeable battery
can theoretically set it up in many different positions
just plop it on the bumper and connect phone... see a more natural view?
don't like the downward view of the camera mounted up high for backing

Gives me something to play with ... but there is no substitute for getting out and looking.
Wife on phone or hand held radios are ok too
but takes forever to train husband to obey
Old 06-13-2024, 07:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookie58 View Post
I have a Haloview camera wired to the pre-wired Furion mount. I needed an adapter cable and bracket that can be found on Amazon for $10 for the set. I do not get any significant signal lapse or image stutter going down the road. I find it's very helpful to see what's behind me and coming up on my sides in case of a lane change, and of course backing into a site or our parking pad at home. Haloviews get very good reviews and are about 1/3 the cost of the Furion cameras.
And then there are a whole slew of systems 2-3 times cheaper than Haloview. I am not judging Haloview, but one of the reasons for their popularity is that they sent out hundreds of free systems to YouTube influencers on the condition that the influencers do a video. To me, that is not an unbiased review.

Most of the systems out there have only a one year warranty. Others, like Rohent have a 3 year warranty. How good the warranty is, I don't know.

My original Furrion was a disaster. I purchased a Haloview and it was dead on arrival. To Haloview's credit, I got a relatively quick refund only having to pay return shipping of 29 dollars on a 439 dollar purchase. The high cost of shipping was due to the lithium battery and insurance.

So for me, the choice is now between Rohent and trying Haloview again. I really like the concept of Haloview's BT11 with the clip on mirror monitor, but that is a 439 dollar purchase. The Rohent sells for around 169 dollars.

For me, a rear view camera makes travel 100 percent easier. To be 100 percent sure of what is behind you on a crowded Interstate when doing a lane change is a game changer.
Old 06-13-2024, 09:48 AM   #8

Thank you.

Tags
camera