Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2020, 01:50 PM   #1

backup camera dropouts

I installed a backup camera with a auxilary antenna to give the unit more range (37 foot 5th wheel). System works fine below 55 MPH, signal freezes or drops out when I go above 55 MPH. Any ideas on how to get the system working above 55?
Aaron2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 01:56 PM   #2

Mine as well.

Interested in an answer.

Furion. POS, for which I paid good money?
tomkatb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 05:29 PM   #3

I have already put a longer antenna on the camera and moved the antenna about 5 ft from the back of the RV. This helped reduce the dropout at lower speeds, but above 55 mph the monitor goes blank or freezes the pic.
Old 10-14-2020, 05:38 PM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron2018 View Post
I installed a backup camera with a auxilary antenna to give the unit more range (37 foot 5th wheel). System works fine below 55 MPH, signal freezes or drops out when I go above 55 MPH. Any ideas on how to get the system working above 55?
I don’t see anyone identifying which make and model or brand of camera system you’re discussing. It might help.

It’s like suggesting......stay under 55 MPH.
Not the answer you’re looking for.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:19 PM   #5

I bought the Yakry FHD 1080P Digital Wireless Backup Camera for RVs/Trailers/Trucks/Fifth Wheels/Boats Rear/Front View Camera 7''Monitor with DVR System Highway Monitoring System Guide Lines ON/OFF. Got it on Amazon. The vendor is very helpful, but the unit is made in China and the language difference sometimes make it hard to communicate. They have been very helpful, but it take multiple tries to get your question answered. It looks a lot like most of the US units, I suspect the internal components are the same.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:58 PM   #6

I have responded to the manufacturer and it has been 3 days since I contacted them. Have not gotten any reply, so I requested inputs from them is AM. Waiting to see what happens.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:43 PM   #7

I bought an Amtifo rear view camera and had similar problems - including communicating with the seller. However, they were very responsive and sent me a new/different unit as well as the extension antenna. That fixed my issue and I now have a trouble free system that I am very happy with. BTW, my extension antenna was about a 15' extension so my antenna is now in front of my AC unit - pretty much a clear line of site to the receiver in the cab.

Hope your seller makes things right for you!
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 09:05 PM   #8

It is the distance to the wifi

Quote:
(37 foot 5th wheel).
OK. 37 foot 5th wheel, plus another 8 to 10 feet to the dashboard of the truck? That puts you right around 45 feet.

I don't know the specs on your camera, but my Garmin says the wifi goes 45 feet. I had installed mine at around 43 feet overall distance. It worked in the driveway, but would cut out on the highway. The solution is to move the antenna closer to the receiver. So now my "wireless" (LOL!) backup camera has 50 feet of antenna wire added to it.
Boscorelli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 10:51 PM   #9

Longer antenna and/or Repeater?

I'm having the same problem where the screen will start tiling and freezing at higher speeds (65 mph). Not continuously, but enough to frustrate me. I have tried removing both the antenna on the camera and the display to see if a longer antenna would work. But they are not coming off as the whole antenna along with the coaxial end it attaches to turn as one and I'm hesitate to do something that would potentially damage either.

Anybody have trouble swapping out the antenna's?

I have a repeater for my TMPS and it doesn't miss a beat. My thoughts are to add a repeater for the Furrion observation system. My thinking it would work. Has anybody tried one and if so what did you get and did it work?

Thanks

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 06:24 PM   #10

Boscorelli, I searched thru several website and found this antenna cable which will allow me to move the rear antenna closer toward the front of the RV. It's only $8.99 and is 33 ft long. I won't have a chance to try it out for a while, but it will allow me much more flexibility in antenna location and hopefully solve my problem.

Thanks to everyone for your inputs!!

33ft SMA Extension Cable SMA Male to SMA Female RF Connector Adapter WiFi Antenna Extension Cable-NOT for TV
Old 12-08-2020, 06:31 PM   #11

Great!

Nice find on the wire! That should do the trick.
Boscorelli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 06:37 PM   #12

What the heck does speed seem to have anything to do with it? Just asking?
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 07:36 PM   #13

Sunseeker, there are 2 ways that speed impacts your signal. 1- if the wind bends the antenna ( and my extended range antenna is just a "coat hanger") then the pattern created by the antenna moves up and down, which may move it out of the pickup antenna reception zone. 2. With the frequencies used for these cameras, the speed produces a "shift" in the signals time of travel and the signal is spaced out a bit and the receiver does not account for this, thus it looses lock on the signal. There's a lot to it, but those are the 2 basic phenomena taking place. I probably have not done a great job on the 2nd one, but don't want to get into doppler effects and all that stuff. IF SOMEONE ELSE WOULD LIKE TO TAKE A CUT AT IT, PLEASE DO!!! THANKS
Old 12-08-2020, 07:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker16 View Post
What the heck does speed seem to have anything to do with it? Just asking?
The wind blows the radio waves away? Or maybe it's the Doppler effect?

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 08:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Sunseeker, there are 2 ways that speed impacts your signal. 1- if the wind bends the antenna ( and my extended range antenna is just a "coat hanger") then the pattern created by the antenna moves up and down, which may move it out of the pickup antenna reception zone. 2. With the frequencies used for these cameras, the speed produces a "shift" in the signals time of travel and the signal is spaced out a bit and the receiver does not account for this, thus it looses lock on the signal. There's a lot to it, but those are the 2 basic phenomena taking place. I probably have not done a great job on the 2nd one, but don't want to get into doppler effects and all that stuff. IF SOMEONE ELSE WOULD LIKE TO TAKE A CUT AT IT, PLEASE DO!!! THANKS
Thanks. I think you did a great job explaining something very technical in simple terms. I get it. I guess my next question is why couldn't a company build something for this industry that could transmit 50 or so feet? Doesn't seem difficult with today's technology.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 08:54 AM   #16

Ok chriscowles. The antenna pattern issue is like this: take a broom stick and put it in the ground pointing straight up. Now, take an inner tube and place it around the broomstick. The inflated inner tube represents the antenna pattern of the camera antenna. Now, pull the broomstick back so that it is slanted at 45 degrees from the ground. Now, lift the inner tube so that the inner tube is perpendicular with the broomstick; that is, the inner tube is 45 degrees off the ground on the side away from the broomstick. If the inner tube is the antenna pattern, where is it pointing? It is not pointing toward the front of your vehicle anymore, it's pointing into the sky, thus the monitor antenna in your truck is not inside the camera's antenna pattern anymore and you have loss the signal....
Old 12-09-2020, 11:17 AM   #17

Quote:
Ok chriscowles. ...
I was kidding.
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 12:27 PM   #18

Couldn't tell from the expression on your face!
Old 12-09-2020, 02:37 PM   #19

Naturally the closer you get to light speed the less likely conventional radio waves will work. You need the sub space system.
WanderMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 03:50 PM   #20

Now there's a idea!! RV to satellite to truck would probably be more reliable than the current system!

Tags
camera