Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2024, 12:17 PM   #1
llr

Backup camera recomendations

I currently have a "Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL Wireless High-Speed RV Observation camera", this was purchased in 2017. Trying to decide if I should move it to the new 5th wheel or by a new one.

It has been an ok system, but not great. It also has a number of drop outs which I suspect will be worse with a longer trailer.

This is going on an almost 45' Arctic wolf 3810

Any recommendations for a newer wireless camera that will work better?
TV 2024 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload - sold 4/24
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 12:57 PM   #2

Following.

I'm in the same boat. The Furrion is Ok, but nowhere near as clear as my Cargo Cam. If there is a better image/quality camera I'm in...
Old 03-01-2024, 01:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by timm9 View Post
Following.

I'm in the same boat. The Furrion is Ok, but nowhere near as clear as my Cargo Cam. If there is a better image/quality camera I'm in...
Me too! My Furrion IMO was less than okay. I am looking at a Haloview Byte Tango 11. I really hate buying stuff that I can't return. I would like to hear more feedback. The videos on YouTube are positive, but practically all of them are in effect paid by Haloview with a free system.
Old 03-01-2024, 01:51 PM   #4

I'm in the process of installing a backup camera on my 2515s. Here's what I purchased, Amtifo https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078PDH6Z8...roduct_details

Their instructions are very good and they include all sorts of wires and adapters to work with the Furrion mount already on my TT. They also include a test wire to make sure the system works prior to install. The camera image looks very good and the monitor has many options, including adding up to four cameras.

My only minor issue is the monitor is 7" and kind of huge once sitting on my dash. I'm trying to repurpose a 10" long suction cup cell phone mount to hold the monitor within reach.

I installed the camera on the TT and will hook up my truck for a final test this weekend. Cheers
Old 03-01-2024, 01:55 PM   #5
Site Team

Moved thread from the General Tech and Repair section to the Appliances and Electronics sub-forum since the OP's questions are specific to that sub-forum and not general questions.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 06:29 PM   #6

Rear observation/backup camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by llr View Post
I currently have a "Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL Wireless High-Speed RV Observation camera", this was purchased in 2017. Trying to decide if I should move it to the new 5th wheel or by a new one.

It has been an ok system, but not great. It also has a number of drop outs which I suspect will be worse with a longer trailer.

This is going on an almost 45' Arctic wolf 3810

Any recommendations for a newer wireless camera that will work better?
I purchased the same camera that "Ox Brown" has, back in Aug 2022. Installation was easy. Basically plug and play. There was a windshield suction cup mount included for the monitor. It works very well. I can put the monitor 'basically' anywhere visible but out of the way. I keep it right under my rear view mirror. I wish the cigarette lighter plug wire was shorter.

A word of caution to everyone...
I have a wireless Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) on my trailer. (installed 6/2020) After I installed the camera, on each trip, the TPMS “lost contact” with the sensors mounted on the tire valve stems after about 40 minutes of travel time. I contacted the manufacturer of the TPMS and after a lengthy discussion about both wireless systems. (TPMS & camera) The TPMS representative stated the wireless systems have developed a harmonic radio wave interference with each other. In other words, the 2 wireless systems are sending signals but they are “competing” against each other. As a result, the TPMS system stops working.

As a test, when the TPMS “lost contact” with the sensors I would shut off the power to the camera. After about 5 minutes the TPMS picked up the sensors. Then I would turn the camera back on and again the TPMS would work for about 40 minutes.

I contacted the TPMS manufacturer again. They suggested I try a signal repeater/booster. They sent me a repeater for a 30 day trial. If it worked I would just pay for the repeater, if it didn't work I could return it.
I installed the signal booster and both wireless systems work without fail.

Hope this helps...
Wild Bill
llibdliw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 08:16 AM   #7

Wildbill and Ox, thanks for the info on the rearview camera and potential interference from a TPMS signal. I'll be picking up our new TT in a few weeks and considering a backup camera also. I'm glad to see you've found a decent unit for such a reasonable price. Wildbill, what brand TPMS system do you have, and what was the approximate cost of the signal booster for it? Thanks again guys!

Take the high road. It's usually less muddy.
Mookie58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 08:37 AM   #8

TPMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookie58 View Post
Wildbill and Ox, thanks for the info on the rearview camera and potential interference from a TPMS signal. I'll be picking up our new TT in a few weeks and considering a backup camera also. I'm glad to see you've found a decent unit for such a reasonable price. Wildbill, what brand TPMS system do you have, and what was the approximate cost of the signal booster for it? Thanks again guys!
TPMS is sold by EEZ RV Products. http://www.eezrvproducts.com/
The booster was $50.00 (US) with $10.00 shipping (US)...

As an aside, I put metal valve stems on the rims. The weight of the TPMS sensor (albeit very small) was enough to cause a deflection of the rubber valve stem when traveling. I spotted a mark on the rim where the sensor was hitting. I was concerned that over time the rubber valve stem would fail.

Hope this helps with your decision.
Wild Bill
llibdliw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 08:46 AM   #9

Thanks Wildbill. The TPMS I have has monitors that are inside the tires. Maybe this will be less prone to causing any signal interference.

Old 05-30-2024, 02:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Brown View Post
I'm in the process of installing a backup camera on my 2515s. Here's what I purchased, Amtifo https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078PDH6Z8...roduct_details

Their instructions are very good and they include all sorts of wires and adapters to work with the Furrion mount already on my TT. They also include a test wire to make sure the system works prior to install. The camera image looks very good and the monitor has many options, including adding up to four cameras.

My only minor issue is the monitor is 7" and kind of huge once sitting on my dash. I'm trying to repurpose a 10" long suction cup cell phone mount to hold the monitor within reach.

I installed the camera on the TT and will hook up my truck for a final test this weekend. Cheers
This sounds like a great alternative to the expensive furion system. I was looking for a camera that is direct plug in with my factory installed mount.

Does this camera give you the ability to have it always on? I have a receiver hitch cargo carrier and it would be nice to be able to monitor that and see directly behind while driving.
Makeitflyfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 03:41 PM   #11

Yes, as long as your parking lights are on, the camera is on. It takes a bit of tilt adjustment. I have mine just barely seeing the cargo carrier, so I can also see more of the traffic behind me. When I had it tilted all the way down to see the whole cargo carrier, I couldn't see very far behind the trailer.

As mentioned, the monitor is pretty big. But overall, the camera system works well.
Old 05-30-2024, 03:54 PM   #12

I ended up going with the Haloview camera and I'm very happy with it. I get practically no delay or image stutter while going down the road at any speed. The parking lines in the image seemed too wide with respect to the lane width behind me but moving the lines as close to the back of the trailer (via the menu controls) helped make them a better width. I may shorten the cable on the camera (not touching the prewired cable on the TT) to reduce the slack I had to loop around the mount. BTW, I paid $108 for the system on eBay from a Florida liquidation company, so I'm extra happy about that.

Tags
camera