Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2015, 01:39 PM   #1

Bedroom AC No Fan Just Humming Noise

Greetings. I have a 2015 Silverback 28RE. Last night while sleeping it got warm, I checked the AC above the bed and there was no fan blowing and the only noise was a humming noise.I shut it off for the night just using the living room AC and tried it again this morning and no joy, same thing. This is my first "new" 5'er and I'm curious who I need to call for some warranty work. Impossible to take it anywhere as I am on a job in South Tx. and sleeping in it. Any help would be appreciated.
2007 Dodge Ram 2500

RickWDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 02:03 PM   #2
Done with this

Might it have frozen up and burned out the starter? I had a pop up long ago that did that same thing.

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 02:14 PM   #3

No sir, I cheched it and it wasn't frozen at all.
2007 Dodge Ram 2500

RickWDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 02:18 PM   #4
Who Dares, Wins

You getting enough power to it? If I started mine on the 2000 watt geni it would just hum and never fire over. Almost sounding like it was stalling out and get stuck in this mode.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:25 AM   #5

I had mine freeze up I opened up the cover and gave it a push. When it got going it was noisey and needed new motor.
NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:53 AM   #6

Have you checked the starter capacitor? Sometimes, if you can spin the blades, it will run just fine until you can replace the capacitor.
saltyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:56 AM   #7

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
Your fan motor capacitor is usually the first thing to suspect. Second,,,,,make sure it spins freely to eliminate the possiblility of a mud daubber building a home on one of the blades. The capacitors are cheap and you can do it yourself,,,,just make sure you shut the electricity off and that you ground out the terminals on the capacitor or the shock will knock you off the roof and ruin your day.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:52 PM   #8

Rick, you state that this is a 2015 unit but you do not state which brand of A/C you have. Now IF, and I say again IF, you happen to have a Dometic unit then you may have one of their units that they are having problems with. I happen to have a 2014 TT which I bought new in January. By May 01 the A/C unit would not cool- -at all. I contacted the selling dealer, who is 90 miles away, and they told me that they could not even look at this unit for six weeks. I contacted Dometic and gave them pertinent information of this unit such as the differential temp and the amp draw while running but not cooling. The lady I talked to stated that this "sounds like' a warranty replacement situation but Dometic would not allow me to do the exchange of A/C unit. She referred me to five (5) different places within 100 miles from me and I did find a local Dometic certified RV shop that will do the exchange for me, but--when the man (Steve) called Dometic (app. July 22) to put in the info for the new unit they told him that due to a back log of A/C problems it may be two weeks before they can ship out a new one. When Steve asked as to why they are having a back log of replacement units the lady would not tell him. I am now waiting for Steve to call and tell me the replacement unit has been shipped and when to bring the TT to him. Since then I have read on the 'net that Dometic may have received some 2000 units from the manufacturer in China which were under-charged with freon. I called Steve to ask about this and he had no knowledge of this. But he did call Dometic back and asked about this story and he tells me that the lady he talked to told him "I am not allowed to discuss this at this time". Interesting huh? With all that said: IF you have a Dometic A/C unit on your Silverback then you might have a bad unit that Dometic supplied to the builder of your Silverback. Air conditioner units which are low on freon can, most likely will, have a compressor lock up which could cause an overheating condition with the other parts of the A/C and the fan could have locked up. I would contact the selling dealer ASAP and ask them what to do berfore I, or anyone else, touched anything on your A/C unit. With your situation the selling dealer and Dometic should work with you to get your unit fixed or exchanged. Dometic did give me the name of one mobile Dometic certified repair person. The deal with that it Dometic would pay for the labor and for the unit with the mobile person but they will not pay for his mileage which would be to and from the job. Call you selling dealer now, please. Good Luck
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:34 AM   #9

go up on roof, give the fan a spin. my would build up rust on the fan shaft, spin it have someone hit the on switch. worked for me
Old 08-02-2015, 07:52 AM   #10

Worked for me.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc cooker View Post
go up on roof, give the fan a spin. my would build up rust on the fan shaft, spin it have someone hit the on switch. worked for me
Same thing on my new '08 Georgetown. Pulled the top cover off, I gave the fan little push, squirted a little WD40 on it, still working 6 yrs later..!! (Be sure t'stat is off before sticking fingers in there.!)

Tags
bed, fan, roo