Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2016, 05:02 PM   #1

Best Direct TV portable dish

I just went to direct TV and now I need a good portable dish. I do not want the high dollar ones that mout on my 30 foot motor coach.
My reviver is model HR44-200 with a 5LNB. I know I have to get an saltallite dish with SWM technology. I know I will need to take the reciver from my home.

I have talked to people at SOLIDSIGNAl.COM. They have one for $209 which they said meets my needs.It comes with conections, cable and tripod. It is the same size as one that goes on a house. I have space for it but I would like something smaller. They said I will not find anything because of the SWM.

They said it will take about an hour to set it up and tune it each time I move it. Tuning looks like a nightmare!
Any experience with this set up?? Do anyone have a simpler solution.

Dwight
dwightfr270s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 05:36 PM   #2

They are mostly correct. If you want HD and able to record you must have a SWM dish. An exact match to what is on your house is the best option. An hour to setup? Maybe, maybe not! With the correct meter setup should take no more than 20 minutes once your RV is correctly wired. If you want to watch TV on more than one set you will also need to bring a mini Genie and the video bridge, which needs to be about 6 feet away from the Genie. That means more wiring. SWM dish plus a tripod around 200 dollars. The current Direct meter will set you back around 500 dollars off of Ebay. This will allow you to locate and lock onto the correct birds really fast.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 05:40 PM   #3
Site Team

See post #4 in this thread for a pic of my cheaper set-up and a paragraph on my experiences. I don't need a video bridge (don't know what one is)... my trailer was wired right from the factory. It only took me a few days to figure it out!

===>http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-tv-71149.html

I use the iPhone app SatFinder Lite (free) as my only meter/aid other than the ZIP code function and signal strength meter on DIRECTV's set-up screen.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 05:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
See post #4 in this thread for a pic of my cheaper set-up and a paragraph on my experiences. I don't need a video bridge (don't know what one is)... my trailer was wired right from the factory. It only took me a few days to figure it out!

===>http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-tv-71149.html

I use the iPhone app SatFinder Lite (free) as my only meter/aid other than the ZIP code function and signal strength meter on DIRECTV's set-up screen.
The Directv HR44 is the Genie, SWM only. To watch TV on more than one set you need either a wired or wireless mini genie. What used to be OK in the old days no longer cuts it. The new HD technology requires a strong signal, correct wiring setup to work.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:00 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedu View Post
The Directv HR44 is the Genie, SWM only. To watch TV on more than one set you need either a wired or wireless mini genie. What used to be OK in the old days no longer cuts it. The new HD technology requires a strong signal, correct wiring setup to work.
I'm not sure who said I didn't take a Genie and a mini-Genie. As a matter of fact, my post #4 in the linked-to thread says "I take my Genie controller and a mini-Genie from home and enjoy HD programming on two TVs." I'm not sure what you mean by old days. I used my set-up in November (less than 2 months ago) and watched different programs on separate TVs.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Old 01-08-2016, 06:04 PM   #6

You must have the wired minis then. Wireless monis need the video bridge. Since you dont know what that is, i made an assumprion. Sorry.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:22 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
You must have the wired minis then. Wireless monis need the video bridge. Since you dont know what that is, i made an assumprion. Sorry.
No problem. That's why I added "my trailer was wired right from the factory" but I'm learning I am one of the fortunate few for which that is true. My utilities bay has Cable In, Sat 1 In, Sat 2 In. To make mine work, I had to attach my sat. antenna coax to Sat 2 In which exited behind my living room/main TV but had no cable attached. The main TV had been driven by a coax to an outlet that came from to the OTA antenna. I ran a good coax with good connections to my power inserter and the splitter (both came with the $60 antenna), then to my Genie receiver then with an HDMI out to the main TV. I connected another good coax from the Genie receiver to the line which came from the OTA antenna (the coax that had driven the main TV for OTA). This supplied a wired connection to the bedroom. In the bedroom, I ran a cable from the outlet which had driven OTA to the bedroom TV to the mini-Genie with an HDMI to the TV and... Eureka.... I got HD TV!

I think that's right. I'd have to go outside and open a slide-out to check and I don't want to walk that far and hook up my battery!

Old 01-08-2016, 06:58 PM   #8

For all of your Satellite TV needs, go to Satellite TV for RV - Tripod - Slimline - Dish - DirectTV - RV television - Recreational Vehicles - RVers - DishTV - Satellite Dish - FTA - Tripod and buy their heavy duty tripod kit and you will soon be an expert at setting up your satellite. The folks at tv4rv will help you with any aspect of satellite for your RV.

With my setup from tv4rv, I take no longer than ten minutes to get tuned in to the three satellites needed for HD DirecTv.

Bruce
Old 01-08-2016, 07:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
For all of your Satellite TV needs, go to Satellite TV for RV - Tripod - Slimline - Dish - DirectTV - RV television - Recreational Vehicles - RVers - DishTV - Satellite Dish - FTA - Tripod and buy their heavy duty tripod kit and you will soon be an expert at setting up your satellite. The folks at tv4rv will help you with any aspect of satellite for your RV.

With my setup from tv4rv, I take no longer than ten minutes to get tuned in to the three satellites needed for HD DirecTv.

Bruce

Good Stuff/Link. Thanks!!!

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:34 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Dwight,
To your original question, I am not aware of a smaller 'portable' dish that will work with your SWM receiver. You will need to carry a full sized dish. You mentioned you have room for a full size dish so if you want to use your home stuff, you'll need to plan on that.

As for taking an hour to set up, I don't think so. I have one I carry. Got it for nothing. Found someone in the neighborhood who was moving and they said if I took it off the side of their house I could have it. I built a small platform out of PVC pipe and mounted the dish mount to it. I set it up at the house and dialed it in the first time. Took about a half hour. I can go anywhere in a 200 mile radius and not have to change anything except the direction the dish points. Takes about 15 minutes to set up at campsite. Certainly if you live in MA and go to FL you'll have to do a bit of azmith and elevation adjustments but not an hours worth.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:01 PM   #11

Amazon has a complete SWM dish pack comes with all needed items and a carring case for $163us.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:06 PM   #12

I know you don't want the $1500.00 antenna; however, you may want to reconsider. I am on my second RV with the same antenna and it performs flawlessly. The first thing I do, after I get level and shore power on, is turn on the antenna. While it automatically adjusts I finish setting up and am watching TV in no time. The only drawback is ensuring that you always have a clean line of site to the sats. Also, you will not get local stations outside of your home viewing area so you will need to receive the major networks OTA.
Middleburg Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:25 PM   #13

With a little practice, a compass and a sat meter, you will be able to set up a portable dish in about 10-15 minutes. I have mine mounted on an old Xmas tree support with 4 legs. I like the fact that it doesn't weigh much, is low to the ground, can be put anywhere withing 100 feet of the TT, and less likely to tip over than a tripod.

It is even simpler if you only want SD channels, because they are available on one satellite, and can be received on a smaller dish.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 03:50 PM   #14

For Approximately $550.00 you can buy a carry out from Winegard which finds the satellites all by itself and if you hook up the dish when you first pull in by the time you set up you are ready to watch tv. They make one for Direct TV and it should be about a $6.00 add on to your current Direct Bill. Well worth the extra money for the lack of aggravation. Sometimes it's easier to spend a little more up front and eliminate the problems.
2016 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 29MKS
Rvdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 04:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvdixie View Post
For Approximately $550.00 you can buy a carry out from Winegard which finds the satellites all by itself and if you hook up the dish when you first pull in by the time you set up you are ready to watch tv. They make one for Direct TV and it should be about a $6.00 add on to your current Direct Bill. Well worth the extra money for the lack of aggravation. Sometimes it's easier to spend a little more up front and eliminate the problems.
Does not work on DirectHD and definitely does not work with the Genie
Old 01-09-2016, 05:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Does not work on DirectHD and definitely does not work with the Genie
I don't know where you got your information but I have been using it with Direct TV for 4 months now both in TX and in FL. I don't know anything about a Genie whatever that it. All I know is I get the same Direct TV stations I get at home with the exception of the local programs.
2016 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 29MKS
Rvdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:14 PM   #17
Swift2

We have the ab connector instead of the SWM system and we still get HD just fine. The satellites have changed from 110 to 101 for the center satellite for the HD. We have the larger dish and a standard LMB (3 head receiver). The direct tv tech just came out on my request to verify everything was set up right and working. Old system was passed with flying colors.
Swift 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:13 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvdixie View Post
I don't know where you got your information but I have been using it with Direct TV for 4 months now both in TX and in FL. I don't know anything about a Genie whatever that it. All I know is I get the same Direct TV stations I get at home with the exception of the local programs.
You cannot get DirecTv HD programming with your setup. Sure, you can get SD off of satellite 101, but your dome and all other domes are not capable of picking up satellites 99 and 103 which carry the HD programming.

Bruce
Old 01-10-2016, 08:48 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
.....buy their heavy duty tripod kit and you will soon be an expert at setting up your satellite. The folks at tv4rv will help you with any aspect of satellite for your RV.

Bruce
This (with a cavet, read below)! If your looking for an "all in one" solution, TV4RV's Heavy Duty Combo Package is probably the most complete and sturdiest setup you will find. I use it with an extra SWM 5LNB Slimline dish I already owned. That setup has now twice, survived severe thunderstorms with 50+ mile wind gusts.

In hindsight, I found I could have gotten what I needed for a little less by buying a Bosch BT160 tripod that can be had on Amazon for 35.00-40.00. Home Depot also sells them, but at twice that price. It is the same tripod that TV4RV sells, but just a different brand. What TV4RV sells is a CST/Berger. Then you could just order the custom replacement mast and flat head bell housing from TV4RV for another 60.00 and by removing one bolt on the head of the tripod, replace the Bosch pieces with the TV4RV ones. Pick up a screw type dog stake and ratchet strap from almost anywhere for a few more bucks and you have the same tripod setup TV4RV sells for approx. 100.00. What you get from them for the extra 60.00 is their Bungee Cord, Bubble Level, Lensatic Compass, SF-95 Satellite Finder, Leg Restraint Kit and Heavy-Duty Handy Carry Bag. Your choice if you need the "extras". Personally, I have never used the bungee cord, compass or leg restraint kit, however I could see the use of the leg restraint kit if your setting up the tripod in a parking lot or other "hardened" surface. The zipper on the carrying bag broke the second time I used it, and their sat finder won't allow a SWM signal to pass so you have to keep taking it in and out of the line to get signal strengths to show on the receiver so although it is useful, it can be a pain if you need to do it more than once. I bought some quick connect coax connectors which makes it a little easier to swap in and out.

I use a small bubble level I already had to level the tripod and found an android app called Satellite Dish Finder that not only replaces a compass, but allows me to quickly locate where to place my dish, especially if I am trying to get thru some fairly heavy tree cover at some campgrounds. Setting up the dish, 5 minutes. Aiming to get a working signal - another 5 minutes and tweaking the alignment to maximize the signal and done.

As for receivers, I am using an HR44 in the living area of our trailer and a H25 mounted to the back of the bedroom tv using the wall mounting bracket. I can then easily move the 32" TV/receiver from the bedroom to the outside patio area as one unit.

Good luck!

Jay
blujay40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:44 PM   #20
Masterchip

DirecTV HD setup

I purchased my HD setup for DIRECTV off of amazon. Complete kit with everything one would need for less than $150 with tax. Got a professional meter from amazon (used) for $100. Now takes 10-15 minutes to get the signal to the RV, another 10 minutes to set up.