Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2022, 11:53 AM   #1

Lightbulb Best Dish Equipment

Cherokee 274RK
Good morning all! We’re researching the best equipment for our travel trailer. We’d like to be able to watch as well as stream on 2 TVs. We’re on the verge of buying but we’d like input from experienced users.
Thank you so much for your time and expertise!!!

Kat

Just realized he’s looking at the tailgater with Wally. Any experience with that?
MizKat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 12:02 PM   #2

We use a Dish Wally with a Winegard Pathway X2. The Pathway X2 can support two receivers, the drawback is that it will only point to 1 satellite at a time so if you are watching both receivers at the same time they must be watching channels that are on the same satellite. The exception would be if you add the Over the Air (OTA) receiver then you could watch OTA channels no matter which satellite the dish was pointed toward. We find the performance of the Winegard and Wally to be good. I like that it will sight on either the eastern arc or the western arc satellites as sometimes that can make big difference in getting a signal past the trees. It is like any other satellite service with dropouts during heavy rains and must be set so it can see past the trees.
Old 01-17-2022, 12:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizKat58 View Post
Cherokee 274RK
Good morning all! We’re researching the best equipment for our travel trailer. We’d like to be able to watch as well as stream on 2 TVs. We’re on the verge of buying but we’d like input from experienced users.
Thank you so much for your time and expertise!!!

Kat
We have moved away from the satellite options and now use streaming services. This works for us due to the locations where we camp I can get internet service (we use cellular, not CG services).

The questions you need to ask yourself are where do you plan to camp? What coverage of services will you have?

With the unlimited data plans available it made more sense to utilize smart tv's and a hotspot in our camper. you can still get "dish" services (channels) they own Slingbox streaming service, or pick something like Hulu both also provide local stations as well based on zip code input.

Biggest benefit to this model and streaming services is it's flexibly to use the same service at home, kids at school, or in the camper. all recorded materials are available at all locations, etc.

Cost wise the streaming service model was about 40% lower, given I was already paying for an unlimited data plan.
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 12:37 PM   #4

Thumbs up Dish equipment

We’re stationary for the next 6 months in our camper. Internet is almost non existent in our campsite. We’re in a very clear area so no excuse for lack of internet just how it is. Thank you for your input tho I appreciate it!!!
MizKat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 01:53 PM   #5

Looks like your camping situation is dictating either satellite or OTA.

Recommend Dish Hopper system. Allows recording/watching up to 16 channels simultaneously, as opposed to 1 with Tailgater.

We've had both. Upgrading to Hopper was like going to TV Overload Heaven...or maybe the other place; not sure yet.
Old 01-17-2022, 02:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizKat58 View Post
We’re stationary for the next 6 months in our camper. Internet is almost non existent in our campsite. We’re in a very clear area so no excuse for lack of internet just how it is. Thank you for your input tho I appreciate it!!!
Your welcome.
In that case the Hopper system paired with something like Winegard Pathway X2 PA6002R is what you are looking for.

The 2 questions you need to ask are:
1. will the sat antenna support east and west arc
2. will antenna support dual receivers.

Also note, there are limitations on some dual receiver supporting units that both have to be running on a single sat. this catches some people when they try to tune in a channel on a second sat from the second receiver.
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 02:55 PM   #7

I have the Dish Tailgater Pro. It works well as long as it can get signal. If you are in a wooded area forget it. It does two tv's but it can only see one sat at a time, so as long as the program for the second tv is on the same sat, all is good.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 03:24 PM   #8

I started out with playmaker worked good most of time with one tv then i got a 5ver with two tvs so found a free fullsize dish built stand buy using full size dish with out paying big money for new dome style i could use both tv on different sats.i have the dish outdoors package if i dont want it next month i just dont pay bill then if i decide i want it just pay bill easy.but the price goes up every year for the package i have with two receivers is $100.00 month i can drop down one package and save $25.00 but their are 2 channels i watch.also i have locals as cant get with rv ota.if it were me i wouldn't go sat i really feel that streaming is the best i do under stand some area's may not work well.
Gmoney67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 03:40 PM   #9

I have a roof mounted Dish Playmaker with a single output and a Wally receiver. We camp in the west and trees are not much of an issue. You can get a stand to put it on the ground or move it around if you want. I have used mine in camp grounds with trees as well. I felt it was fine.

If you are an existing Dish customer $5 a month will add an RV. If not you can get a subscription and turn the subscription on and off when you use it or not but you pay whatever it is per month when turned on.

I have in the past used a regular dish on a mount and receiver I carried in and out of my house when I wanted it. That is a little old school for today.
rdailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 03:43 PM   #10

I have the Pathway 2 and love it, however if I was going to be stationary for a long time, I’d get a regular dish, on a pole if they’ll allow it , if not on a tripod and use the hopper system. With the Pathway2 I use, I use the older style (z11 or something?? ) receiver. I have dish at home so only pay additional $5-7 a month, but there is really no comparison. The hopper is way better. Plus the wiring in the rv will work with a regular dish as it doesn’t require power from the receiver to move to different satellites. The hopper will also let you watch and/or record multiple channels at the same time.. can’t do that on a playmaker, tailgater, or pathway. Just my 2 cents.
dsjohns71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 04:33 PM   #11

Hopper has a lot more features than a Wally. With a Hopper you can get up to two or three wireless Joey's and not worry about wiring another TV. You can carry those outside if you have power.

Hopper 3 let's you stream Sling directly to it. I have all this stuff in my house. For a camper I am happy with the Wally but you can do more with the other stuff.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:06 PM   #12

I have a Playmaker. It gets old having to rescan almost every morning. I'm not sure of better options.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 06:31 PM   #13

I'm not sure what you mean by rescan? Once a day I don't know if its a sefltest or its realigning itself but for a minute once a day in the morning it clunks around but thats it.

I turn off my TV but I leave the Wally on while we are in the camper. Maybe thats a difference.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdailey View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by rescan? Once a day I don't know if its a sefltest or its realigning itself but for a minute once a day in the morning it clunks around but thats it.

I turn off my TV but I leave the Wally on while we are in the camper. Maybe thats a difference.
OK, I'll bite, what's a Wally?
Old 01-17-2022, 07:01 PM   #15

Best Dish Equipment

My Pathway x2 only does the rescan thing IF I loose power. Other than that it’s pretty good. I just looked to see what my OLD receiver is,,, it’s the “vip211z”… kinda old. I think I’ve had it since 2016.. I did add a hard drive to it so I can use it like a TiVo and record shows/movies, but you can’t record one thing and watch another like you can with the Hopper. When I get around to replacing my old stuff and decide to actually keep Dish, I will do the whole Hopper system like I have at the house…
Forgot to add… I always shut my receiver off… every night. And it’s perfectly fine when I turn it back on the next day.
My buddy has the Playmaker and hates it, especially after being around my Pathway x2. I only hate that it’s sooo dang big compared to the Playmaker and the Tailgater.
dsjohns71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 07:15 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CRE View Post
OK, I'll bite, what's a Wally?
Dish satellite box
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 07:22 PM   #17

Wally is a small size Dish Network receiver/tuner that also produces power on the coaxial antenna connection. That powers the Playmaker or whatever other Weingard dish you have so it can self align. You only use it with a dish that requires power.

Hopper is something you'd typically have in the home and it has wireless and DVR function.

Joey is a wireless portable unit that connects to a Hopper so you do not have to run cable to it. It can watch DVR from a Hopper or independent channels. But it's signal feed comes from the Hopper.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Wally is a small size Dish Network receiver/tuner that also produces power on the coaxial antenna connection. That powers the Playmaker or whatever other Weingard dish you have so it can self align. You only use it with a dish that requires power.
The Wally can be used with any Dish antenna, home, carryout or otherwise.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 08:46 PM   #19

I guess that is true. If the dish does not look for power it won't care but the purpose of a Wally is to power something. I would think.
Old 01-17-2022, 09:05 PM   #20

Quote:
I guess that is true. If the dish does not look for power it won't care but the purpose of a Wally is to power something. I would think.
Yes, to power the carryout antennas. The VIP211 series (and other receivers) also powers the Dish carryout's the same way i.e. via the coax.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote