Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2022, 03:06 PM   #1

Better antenna to replace Winegard Air 360?

my 2021 Surveyor came with a Winegard Air 360 TV antenna. it seems to only have a 20-25 mile range. has anyone replaced theirs with a better antenna? caveat: I would rather not modify the opening in the roof.

thanks

Ken
faithie999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 03:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithie999 View Post
..... has anyone replaced theirs with a better antenna? caveat: I would rather not modify the opening in the roof.

We had the same problem, original tv antenna wasn't worth a hoot, ... beside a camper one day that had this setup, copied it and the results are amazing, ... I abandoned the whole original setup, didn't remove or modify it, just quit using it, ... a cheap $25 antenna from Walmart.com, it has it's own amplifier, mounted on 24ft painters pole from Lowes, I bring the cable into the trailer thru the propane hatch cover, ... I did find that HEIGHT is important, at first I would run the two inner sections out 4ft each making about 16ft total length, sitting on the bumper I figured 18ft was high enough, ... and was most of the time, occasionally there would be interference that I contributed to wind or bad weather, ... then one day there was more interference than usual and on a whim I went out and raised the pole another 2ft, the difference was amazing, now I start with 18-20ft pole sitting on bumper and couldn't be happier, .... I use Antenna Point app to find what direction to point the antenna, ...

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 11:25 AM   #3

Great idea!!

I can't tell from the photos how you attached the antenna to the end of the pole.
Old 08-18-2022, 11:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithie999 View Post
Great idea!!

I can't tell from the photos how you attached the antenna to the end of the pole.
thank you,

removed the threaded metal end where you screw on the paint roller,
then attached a short piece of "thin wall' 3/4in pvc to that end,
that gives the perfect size to attach the antenna to,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1116.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	451.1 KB
ID:	277992   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1118.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	410.6 KB
ID:	277993  

Old 08-18-2022, 12:11 PM   #5

great! thanks!!
Old 10-01-2022, 09:16 PM   #6

Fella10,

1) Did the new antenna come from off-the-shelf at WM or did you order it online through WM?

2) Do you travel with the pole mounted or take it down each time?

Thanks.
Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 10:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post
Fella10,

1) Did the new antenna come from off-the-shelf at WM or did you order it online through WM?

2) Do you travel with the pole mounted or take it down each time?

Thanks.

It is not available at the stores, got it from Walmart.com, ... there are several that all look the same, Amazon has what also looks like the same unit,

We do not travel with the pole mounted, it's so easy to snap in and out of the clips on the ladder, ... the pole is over 8 foot long, which can be a problem, I clip ours on the inside top frame of our kitchen slideout, that's about the only place on/in our Micro Lite 25KS that we can store something that long, but it travels great there, ...

Tags
antenna, winegard