Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #1

Blender wont run on onan lp generator

Blender works fine on shore power and at least one other RV generator. Blender is Blendtec.

Anyone else have trouble powering something from the gender?
Old 08-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Brand and model of generator? Does everything else work on the generator?
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Like any inductive load, the starting amps for that high torque motor is quite high; then tapers off radically once it is turning. You may need to reduce the load on your generator by turning off AC powered items to free up capacity to run your blender.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:20 PM   #4

Lou is correct. Without a special starter (unlikely on a blender) or capacitor start, motors can draw up to 6 times the full load amps in the first fraction of a second. Is the generator stalling or is a breaker tripping? For dedicated motor circuits only, a larger breaker than the full load amps would indicate, can be used as per NEC but I don't think that'd work in your application. Sometimes, you just need a larger generator (KW rating) to run a particular size motor.

You might try starting the blender empty first before putting something chunky in it. I can't imagine an ordinary home blender would be a problem unless your generator is kinda wimpy. What is the KW rating of the gen? And as Lou said, turn off any other loads while trying to run the blender. What is the KW output of your other generator? Sounds like it is larger?

Not sure which Blendtec model you have, but one model is 13 amps. So if it uses full voltage starting, the momentary inrush current would 6x13 = 78 amps! No problem in a house but for a small gen. it can be a problem. The Blendtec info. also says it has some kind of solid state control. If it has multiple speeds, try starting the blender on the lowest speed and if that works, then try increasing the speed.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
The Blendtec info. also says it has some kind of solid state control. If it has multiple speeds, try starting the blender on the lowest speed and if that works, then try increasing the speed.
This could also be a problem if the control requires a pure sine inverter. Many older inverter generators use a "Modified Sine" inverter. Mostly square wave, some solid state components just don't like em. Try a different model blender that is "dumber."
Old 08-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #6

All good input. Thanks. Gender is Oman 3.6ky propane rated at 30 amps.

Running with no other loads than the converter.

Assumed gender would produce pure sine wave.

Could be inrush problem I suppose. I've tried it empty suspecting load.

Blendtec spec says 1500 to 2000 watts. Power required 20 amp circuit.

Suspect power factor. Particularly if the converter in parallel looks inductive to the gender.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:54 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Man, that is one MONGO blender!
Old 08-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #8

Sounds more like the power demands of DW's ice-shaver, wine slushy/Margaritta Maker!

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:21 PM   #9

My initial reaction too was what is going into that blender? Been watching too many Criminal Minds episodes lately so I'd rather not know.

cousin01-

If you do have a 2KW blender, that's could be up to a 2 horsepower motor in it. The usual ballpark rule of thumb is 1HP = 1,000 watts. My tablesaw has a 2HP motor..... (My tablesaw could cut up an entire moose, bones and all no problem.)

Without delving into the details of how the blender is designed, am not sure if the solid state part of it might cause any issues. Might and might not. Harmonics can sometimes cause problems created by solid state controllers and power supplies.

You generator size is 3.6KW. It sounds like you may need a generator of around 4-5 KW just to get the Blendtec started. Then, if you have other loads you want to run at the same time like say a toaster, then you'd want to increase the generator by another 1.5KW (or by what the "other" load requires). Then you you could need a 6KW or larger gen. and you'd have to figure out how to plug your 30 amp RV plug into it. Or if it had a 15/20 amp recept on it, you could plug it in directly.

Don't think power factor is an issue since you need to have a gen. 2 - 3 times the power rating of the blender.

One other thing - the cable/wire overall length between your. gen. and blender *might* be part of the problem. Since you may be getting inrush current of up to 6 times the full load amp rating of the blender, the voltage at the blender on starting might be too low. Try plugging the blender in at the generator and see if that helps. As you may know, the HP output of a motor varies as the square of the voltage. This means that the motor may be underpowered to get it out of the momentary starting "locked rotor" condition and the generator can/will stall out. I supposed you could try a voltmeter at the blender on starting to see what the voltage reads.

And another thought - I think for some of the small portable generators out there, that the power output ratings are not that honest.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousin01 View Post

Blendtec spec says 1500 to 2000 watts. Power required 20 amp circuit.
Wow!

Cousin, I had to look up this blender. Two words: Commercial Grade!

They are serious pieces of kitchen equipment and I admit I'm a little jealous.

I especially like the Tom Dickson Extreme Blender (20 Amps, 2400 Watts, Direct-drive motor, and Solid-state electronics). That's one even Tim the Toolman would approve of.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #11

Try turning on a 100 watt lamp then starting the blender. This will get a excitation current going in the generator. It should be able to then start the blender. It's kind of like trying to push start a car. Really hard to do with the clutch engaged, but much easier if the clutch is disengaged when you start pushing.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #12

I'd guess the converter is pulling 100 watts before I start the blender.

btw it is one powerful blender. google "can it blend" ...

Guy at Costco put an old I phone in one. lol.

We just use it for veggie/fruit drinks!
cousin01 is offline   Reply With Quote