Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2014, 06:09 PM   #1
Got mtn bike?

Blower/AC motor inner bearing went bad......

Due to condensation build up between the warm inter shaft and the cold outer shaft.
Forest River Forums - ddavis662's Album: Preperations for Full Timming - Picture

All put back together and new motor running
Forest River Forums - ddavis662's Album: Preperations for Full Timming - Picture
ddavis662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:04 PM   #2

That is good to hear. I have changed out Many of those types of motors.
Generally they are Emerson duel shift motors and they are also used in what is called a fan coil unit. These units are in commercial and office buildings for heating and cooling or just one or the other.

FYI, some of these motor have two red or yellow plastic plugs in the motor body, if the motor is a duel shaft there will be two and one if it is a single shaft type, just make sure when the motor is installed the plugs face up if not then the oil will run out. Now depending on the manufacture some of these motors some have no plastic plugs and that is because they have sealed bearings.
If you have plastic plugs, then this means you have to add oil to them and all you need is 3in1 oil with a zoom spout.

One other thing, there is a small arrow on the motor body, this indicates rotation, just make sure it is installed correctly other wise your fan will operate in the wrong direction and guess what......no a/c..... if that is the case you will have to take it all apart.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
That is good to hear. I have changed out Many of those types of motors.
Generally they are Emerson duel shift motors and they are also used in what is called a fan coil unit. These units are in commercial and office buildings for heating and cooling or just one or the other.

FYI, some of these motor have two red or yellow plastic plugs in the motor body, if the motor is a duel shaft there will be two and one if it is a single shaft type, just make sure when the motor is installed the plugs face up if not then the oil will run out. Now depending on the manufacture some of these motors some have no plastic plugs and that is because they have sealed bearings.
If you have plastic plugs, then this means you have to add oil to them and all you need is 3in1 oil with a zoom spout.

One other thing, there is a small arrow on the motor body, this indicates rotation, just make sure it is installed correctly other wise your fan will operate in the wrong direction and guess what......no a/c..... if that is the case you will have to take it all apart.
I thought that they stopped making oil plug motors all are closed and sealed bearings on a/c units, I haven't seen one since the late 80's. Maybe they went back to them again. If they did that will be a pain to service every year....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:55 PM   #4

You have a point, I order three for work and they have oil ports, but I am sure if the motor from the a/c is an exact replacement then they may very well be sealed bearings.

I just wanted to bring this up just so people would be a wear if they ended up with and older motor.

When I work at the National Air And Space Museum in VA we had 5 parking booths at the entrance and they each had a Dometic low profile a/c units on the roof, needless to say all o them had to be replaced after two years of operation, the motors in them were sealed, we saved the motors.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:36 PM   #5
Got mtn bike?

Both motors have/had sealed bearings
This is the condensation on the new motors shaft the 1st morning after being installed

This is the old motor. If you look closely you can see the rust stains around the shaft.
ddavis662 is offline   Reply With Quote